This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

A few thoughts come to mind with the news of Sam Lofquist leaving the team and withdrawing from the UMN:

1) I think current adjustments to the CBA and subsequent recruiting strategies to recruit much younger players will at times result in this type of negative outcome. Lofquist accelerated his HS educ., with honors no less, to come to the Gophers. Sam is a national merit scholar. However, the psychological level of players like Lofquist, compared to those who have spent more time and matured in the USHL, will be different and comparatively less developed. Egotistical motives, multiple options, family pressures (strong sports family) and an uncertain future can lead a young player to make sudden life changing decisions regardless of previous committments (i.e. Jim O'Brien).

Personally I get tired of watching bright students like this quit college to chase an NHL dream, which in Lofquist's case may be fairly remote. Most athletes like this end up in a hockey career of mediocrity with no educational support to fall back on.

2) It's very possible that Lofquist being a healthy scratch last weekend in his home state of Wisconsin was disappointing. However, I'm sure his unfulfilled expectations and subsequent decision to move on was processed over time with regard to other factors as well.

3) Symbolically, another player leaving during the season unfortunately sends another negative signal of coaching incompetency to the general public and fanbase especially at a vulnerable time when team play is below expectations. It resurfaces past criticisms of Lucia's recruiting policies and his abilities to generate appropriate levels of team chemistry and productivity that meet the traditional expectations of the fanbase and boosters. Regardless of whether the criticism has merit or not, this is perhaps the most serious repercussion of Lofquist's departure.

4) Obviously, the loss of Lofquist will not have a tremendous effect on the overall talent of the Gophers. However, it remains to be seen what effect it will have on team unity and chemistry. There are several variables that are uncertain here.

I listened to the Don Lucia radio program tonight and there was no mention of it. The coaching staff concluding that it was not appropriate at this time to release that information indicates that the situation is still in process.

EDIT:

IMO this situation helps illustrate again of how the values of college athletes today are in a state of accelerated change like never before. Professional sports and it's values, along with university fiscal and enrollment policies, continue to influence and contribute to the growing chasm between scholarship and athletics. We also have the unfortunate privilege of witnessing the gradual death of every remaining vestige of the amateur spirit within the growing divide of professional collegiate athletics and community.
    Last edited by HarleyMC; 11-10-2009, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
      To the OHL, per Brad Schlossman's blog.

Strange move, especially at this time...
      Was he just upset that he had to sit in favor of Schack in the UW series?
      I brought it up on GPL, but how are we to know that he was scratched BEFORE he decided to leave?

Maybe he made the decision before Saturday's game, and because of the weekend, the announcement was delayed, and he was scratched (since he was leaving anyway)?

We need more info before we can speculate on the scratch/etc.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Maybe he's allergic to Beavers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I brought it up on GPL, but how are we to know that he was scratched BEFORE he decided to leave?

Maybe he made the decision before Saturday's game, and because of the weekend, the announcement was delayed, and he was scratched (since he was leaving anyway)?

We need more info before we can speculate on the scratch/etc.
          Whether he was a healthy scratch or not is probably not as significant as the situations and events that led up to his decision. I highly doubt he made a life changing decision of this nature without consultation with others over a longer period of time. Last weekend could have sealed it but he most likely had already made his decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
            Quickfacts Tweet says Lofquist has left the program.
            Wow.
            04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
            USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
            I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
            Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
            I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

I certainly hope the decision wasn't made because he was benched in favor of Schack. That really wouldn't reflect well on him and it's such a knee jerk reaction.

I'll be curious to hear if the reasoning for this ever comes out. Kind of makes you wonder what is going on with this program.
              04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
              USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
              I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
              Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
              I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Originally posted by ajoyce02 View Post
                I certainly hope the decision wasn't made because he was benched in favor of Schack. That really wouldn't reflect well on him and it's such a knee jerk reaction.

I'll be curious to hear if the reasoning for this ever comes out. Kind of makes you wonder what is going on with this program.
                I'm thinking that the scratch had nothing to do with his decision. The more people are actually talking about it, and I will take a little credit for presenting the scenario on GPL (and here) , there seems to be less knee-jerk reactions and judgements on the situation/player.

HarleyMC seems to agree:

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                Whether he was a healthy scratch or not is probably not as significant as the situations and events that led up to his decision. I highly doubt he made a life changing decision of this nature without consultation with others over a longer period of time. Last weekend could have sealed it but he most likely had already made his decision.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Nico Sacchetti was a healthy scratch for the Sunday game against Alaska Anchorage. Then in the Fri. game against UW he started on the first line. I'm sure Sam Lofquist understood that being a healthy scratch (along with Jake Hansen) on Sat. vs. UW was only temporary. If that's the only reason he left then his head is in the wrong place to begin with. I suspect lots of other factors leading up to a critical and controversial move like this during the season.

Comment

This only solidifies my belief that if the team fails to make the NCAA tourney this season, Lucia should be gone - this is the third straight season of mediocre performance, and his players are quitting on him.

Comment

Nico Sacchetti was a healthy scratch for the Sunday game against Alaska Anchorage. Then in the Fri. game against UW he started on the first line. I'm sure Sam Lofquist understood that being a healthy scratch (along with Jake Hansen) on Sat. vs. UW was only temporary. If that's the only reason he left then his head is in the wrong place to begin with. I suspect lots of other factors leading up to a critical and controversial move like this during the season.
                      Sam Lofquist only cares about Sam Lofquist. That's perfectly obvious given the information that we have. Remember what Stoa said last year when Dorr and Scott bailed? Same thing here.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Sam Lofquist only cares about Sam Lofquist. That's perfectly obvious given the information that we have. Remember what Stoa said last year when Dorr and Scott bailed? Same thing here.
                        The information we have? We have speculation, rumors, and third hand accounts or wild guesses. I'd highly doubt, really quite ridiculous, that Lofquist would leave because he was a scratch. Decisions like this are are most certaintly a long processes. I'm sure the idea has been out there for some time, talking with family, friends, advisers, etc. At the end of the day my guess would be he simply didn't feel like he was developing into the player he wants to be, didn't see the U giving him the tools, opportunities and free reign to develop, and he left to try somewhere else.

Starting to wonder if the Brandon Wheat Kings trading for Ness's rights was all that bone headed of a play...

Comment

It's good to see the "student" in "student-athlete" has gone completely by the wayside.

Comment

Add Lofquist's leaving to the fact that Lucia has put a team out on the ice that (as a team) has shown the frank inability to play sound fundamental hockey so far this year...yeah...The Don's time is up, it was a nice run, but on to different ventures. Don can't control injuries, players leaving early, not developing like he likes, but he sure can control preperation, assignments, and correcting fundamentals.
                            Last edited by 61ache; 11-10-2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                              It's good to see the "student" in "student-athlete" has gone completely by the wayside.
                              How many business and marketing education degrees do we need out there in the real world? I always laugh when I read all the Gopher's majors.

Comment

his head is in the wrong place to begin with
                                Agreed...I mean, he did "commit" to the Gophers, after all.
                                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X