X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
    According to a Tweet just posted by Hammy there *could* be really bad news regarding an injury to Bariball from today's practice. Hammy mentions the dreaded words "season ending" is possible. Erf.
    Yikes, not good news.
    04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
    USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
    I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
    Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
    I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
      I think you're splitting hairs now. The severity of the penalty was for elbowing to the head. Furthermore, the league review summarized it as an elbow to the head which resulted in Tommy incurring the injury. If you want to argue what part of the head, it's not relevant to the discussion of whether it is or is not a blow to the head. That's the point of similarity in Leddy's case.
      No, the severity of the penalty was because it resulted in an injury. The same hit happens in open ice, Pohl isn't injured, at worst 2 minutes for contact to the head elbowing. The injury didn't happen because of the initial contact to the head (which is what happened in the Leddy case, and what the relevant discussion is about), the issue is that Pohl's head went into the boards after he was hit (which is the reason why checking from behind is an issue). The only difference between Pohl faceplanting as a result of an elbow to the head, a hit from a behind, or even a hit from the side is whether the official calls the penalty a 5 and a game for elbowing, checking from behind, or boarding.

Comment

According to a Tweet just posted by Hammy there *could* be really bad news regarding an injury to Bariball from today's practice. Hammy mentions the dreaded words "season ending" is possible. Erf.
        Ouch, hopefully this isn't true.
        I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          3 players that are MIA (no points yet) this season:

Carman
          Hansen
          Sachetti

Sachetti and Hansen were voted in my little survey as the two players most likely to step up and fill the void. Doesn't help that 3 of the 6 games the Gophers were held scoreless, but still, time to get moving.
          I honestly don't expect Carman to make a great offensive impact. I think he is a grinder, adds an element of physicality, is good in the defensive zone, will probably register a respectable number of assists, but won't light the lamp all that often. Just my take after watching him for 3 seasons and 6 games. But it's all right. That line of him, Lucia, and Matson seemed very good this past weekend, and I think playing Carman in between Matson and Lucia, just to do a lot of dirty work, is going to allow the other two to score fairly regularly. I said heading into the year I expected Lucia to score 15 goals this season, and tempered that from 20 just to not get too carried away.
          Sachetti I am willing to give a bit more time. It would be great if he could start making an impact on the score sheet now, but I think if he starts showing up with regularity by the second half it will be just fine.
          Hansen, well, he's a guy that I think is just fighting for a roster spot. There are a few guys that are right on his heels as well as a number of guys who are clearly ahead of him; so I don't expect him to be in every game, and I don't expect him to be given an assignment that revolves around scoring.
          Of course, if Barriball really is out for the year (or even for a significant portion of it), Hanson may be moved to a line that demands more of an offensive output from him.

Comment

That would be horrible. The Gophs need to get one line hitting the net...and unfortunately, the first line is the one that usually gets you there.

I know its been mentioned time and again...but what's the game limit for a redshirt?
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              That would be horrible. The Gophs need to get one line hitting the net...and unfortunately, the first line is the one that usually gets you there.

I know its been mentioned time and again...but what's the game limit for a redshirt?
              It is true. I have heard it from a trusted source as well. I'm not sure it's legal to discuss what it is, but if the injury I was told is correct, he's gonna be gone for the season 99 out of 100 times. Maybe even 99.9 out of 100 times. A major loss for the Gophers.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

It's not a redshirt, it's a "medical hardship waiver".

14.2.4 Hardship Waiver.

A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Academics/Eligibility/Compliance Cabinet for reasons of "hardship." Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions:

(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;

(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (measured by the number of scheduled contests or dates of competition not exceeding the maximum limitations in each sport as set forth in Bylaw 17 as set prior to the first scheduled contest or date of competition of the designated official NCAA championship playing season in the applicable sport or the number of completed contests or dates of competition) and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

(c) The injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled or completed competition (including exempted events but excluding scrimmages and exhibition contests identified as such in the legislation) against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport.
                So it looks like he should qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                  It's not a reshirt, it's a "medical hardship waiver".

So it looks like he should qualify.
                  Ya...tired here.

Boy it seems like the Gophs run into a disproportionate amount of tough luck from key players getting injured, leaving during the season and leaving well before 4 years are up.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

I know we are short on D right now. But at some point I would like to see them put Ness at forward he has great hands and is a talented player but his size hurts him when trying to move people. Just an opinion

Comment

• Originally posted by 61ache View Post
                      So any time any player hits another player in the head they should be suspended right? If that were the case there would have been 2 people dressed for game 2 last weekend and Brian Schack would have been banned for life after the Boe incident last year. Common sense here people.
                      Reread my post and come back to me with a different response. I'll refrain from using any deragotory terminology until then.

Comment

Oh for crying out loud. What is up with this team that we have the epic loss injuries every stinking year.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Oh for crying out loud. What is up with this team that we have the epic loss injuries every stinking year.
                          NOT AGAIN

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Reread my post and come back to me with a different response. I'll refrain from using any deragotory terminology until then.
                            touche

I know we are short on D right now. But at some point I would like to see them put Ness at forward he has great hands and is a talented player but his size hurts him when trying to move people. Just an opinion
                            Bariball out would hurt an already struggling offense. It would be interesting... He has generated some nice chances on the weakside wing on the PP, so far this year. They're pretty thin on D, though, with Leddy out.
                            Last edited by 61ache; 11-04-2009, 09:40 AM.

Comment

They're too thin at defense now with Leddy out. Ness is not going to be moved.

I hope if Barriball is out we see Lucia moved up with Schroeder and Hoeffel for line one.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

They're too thin at defense now with Leddy out. Ness is not going to be moved.

I hope if Barriball is out we see Lucia moved up with Schroeder and Hoeffel for line one.
                                I agree we are too thin at D to try it now But if people get healthy I think it would be a worthwhile experiment. When will we hear on Baribal ?

Comment

Working...
                                X