X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
    The hit was certainly late. It should have been a penalty.
    That said, I don't think the intent was to bust Leddy's jaw. I do think the intent was to "rock" him though.
    Bottom line, it was after the play, and an effort was made to bring the shoulder in contact with the head. That's a no-brainer.

The hit wasn't late. Personally, I don't think it was a dirty hit in any stretch of the imagination (I'm a Gopher fan). Whether you think it was a dirty hit, or a clean hit, whatever anyone says isn't likely to change your mind. At the end of the day, Leddy came across the middle, in the high slot, head down, and was injured by a hit. It's unfortunate, but that's what happened, those are the results, and all the debate won't change it.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
      That's a lot of assumptions based off of one photo.
      Is there a video of the incident?
      Agree here. In real time the hit didn't look that bad to me (granted, it was almost off the screen). It was a little late from what I remember, but I'd be okay with a penalty being called or the ref letting it go. Harley's grasping at straws using a still photo to show that it was late and malicious. All you can tell from that picture is the shot had been released. For all we know (just using the picture, no other source of input) the puck is only 6 inches out of the shot, which would mean not a late hit. Also, Leddy may have flinched after seeing Portwood out of the corner of his eye after shooting, thereby ducking slightly and having Portwood contact his head instead of his body.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        For all we know (just using the picture, no other source of input) the puck is only 6 inches out of the shot, which would mean not a late hit.
        You are right in not being able to tell from the photo, but the puck was already on net when the hit happened. That much I remember. You can see the other UAA player (13) looking over to where the play was at that point.

Leddy is obviously watching his shot a little long and is coming across with his head down, so the contact to the head isn't my beef. It's just that it was a bit late.

I really do find it hard to believe that Portwood was trying to break Leddy's jaw and give him a concussion though. Whatever, this crap happens from time to time. If a penalty was called, a 2:00 minor would be the max it could have gotten.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          You are right in not being able to tell from the photo, but the puck was already on net when the hit happened. That much I remember. You can see the other UAA player (13) looking over to where the play was at that point.
          That's why I stated "only using the photo and nothing else." Having watched the game, yes, the puck was already on net when it happened. I did state earlier I thought the hit was a little late...

MNS - forking genius.

MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

That's why I stated "only using the photo and nothing else." Having watched the game, yes, the puck was already on net when it happened. I did state earlier I thought the hit was a little late...
            But that wasn't the part that I quoted, therefore that part of the post doesn't really count. Or something.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
              But that wasn't the part that I quoted, therefore that part of the post doesn't really count. Or something.
              I apologize for forgetting the D1 posting rules. I think I spend too much time in the Cafe...

MNS - forking genius.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Agree here. In real time the hit didn't look that bad to me (granted, it was almost off the screen). It was a little late from what I remember, but I'd be okay with a penalty being called or the ref letting it go. Harley's grasping at straws using a still photo to show that it was late and malicious. All you can tell from that picture is the shot had been released. For all we know (just using the picture, no other source of input) the puck is only 6 inches out of the shot, which would mean not a late hit. Also, Leddy may have flinched after seeing Portwood out of the corner of his eye after shooting, thereby ducking slightly and having Portwood contact his head instead of his body.
                You'd be ok with a penalty being called or letting it go? Nice waffle. I disagree that this is "grasping at straws". There's enough photo evidence to indicate the hit was late and deserving of a penalty. If you read my initial post I indicated it needed another look, which means normative VIDEO evidence. To me there is some indication from the photo it could have been malicious and subject to a more severe penalty. Placement of a hit is something all experienced players are coached in and conscious of when executing a check. As I said and it bears repeating, a shot to the head like that can disable a player for a season or terminate a hockey career (i.e. Tom Pohl). It's that serious and based upon the outcome, IMO it deserved another look (video).

If Portwood charged and deliberately placed his shoulder in the direction of Leddy's head (which the photo seems to suggest) then it is classified as "intent to injure". However, official video review evidence would be needed to conclusively prove that beyond a reasonable doubt.

Having seen the video, Don Lucia has requested an official assessment on the video review of the play:

He said the tape showed Seawolves forward Jade Portwood hitting Leddy in the head with his shoulder. That makes the hit illegal, he said..."As much as you want to say it was a good hit, there are rules put in. And that's why there is zero tolerance for shots to the head. Just as in football, you don't allow crackback blocks. You don't allow blows to the head. You have rules in there to protect the players for a reason. I don't think the kid tried to, but still it was a shot to the head." Lucia said he has already talked to Greg Shepherd, the supervisor of officials, about the play. "I talked to our referee in chief and I forwarded it and I think those things have to be looked at because that is a dangerous play," Lucia said. "Even though you are in a vulnerable position, that doesn't mean you can make that hit like that. That is my opinion. That is why the rule is in there."

One reporter after the Gophers' 4-1 victory over Alaska Anchorage, asked Lucia how a player can avoid a hit like that? "You just can't hit him in the head, plain and simple," Lucia said. "That's why it is in the rulebook. Zero tolerance. "Look at the concussions in the game today. [Leddy] gets out because of a fractured jaw. Those are the kind of hits you want to eliminate from the game." After the league reviews Portwood's hit on Leddy near the end of the first period, I expect he will suspended for at least one or two games. And it should happen quickly, by Monday or Tuesday.

Leddy will miss at least 11 games. The Gophers play the next five weekends, then have a weekend off. So Leddy might be able to return Dec. 11-12 at Michigan Tech.

After that series, the Gophers have a holiday break. So Lucia might hold Leddy out of the Tech series until the Dodge Holiday Classic on Jan. 2-3. That might make more sense.
                Star Tribune

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                  You'd be ok with a penalty being called or letting it go? Nice waffle. I disagree that this is "grasping at straws". There's enough photo evidence to indicate the hit was late and deserving of a penalty. If you read my initial post I indicated it needed another look, which means normative VIDEO evidence. To me there is some indication from the photo it could have been malicious and subject to a more severe penalty. Placement of a hit is something all experienced players are coached in and conscious of when executing a check. As I said and it bears repeating, a shot to the head like that can disable a player for a season or terminate a hockey career (i.e. Tom Pohl). It's that serious and based upon the outcome, IMO it deserved another look (video).

If Portwood charged and deliberately placed his shoulder in the direction of Leddy's head (which the photo seems to suggest) then it is classified as "intent to injure". However, official video review evidence would be needed to conclusively prove that beyond a reasonable doubt.

Having seen the video, Don Lucia has requested an official assessment on the video review of the play:

Star Tribune
                  Let it go. There is nothing your lobbying on USCHO will change.

Comment

Originally posted by slyhippo View Post
                    Let it go. There is nothing your lobbying on USCHO will change.
                    This is a discussion board in case you forgot.

Comment

This weekend was a good step for Kangas to quiet the critics (mostly non-Mn fans) who thought his play his Freshman year was a fluke. (I still don't see where the SCS fan thinks his positioning is poor. And I assume Lee has yet to give up a goal this year?)

For players stepping up (as was discussed in offseason), I think there are some that look like they may have made a step up (although it is too soon to know for sure).

Mattson looks like he will contribute a lot this year. And while he isn't as far along as I would have hoped he'd be by his third year before he started at the U, White seems to be more consistant than last year. Hoeffel has had some good shifts, but I think will still improve as the year progresses. Wehrs is a pleasant surprise, especially since they'll be without Leddy for awhile. Lucia, if this weekend is an indication, will lead by example and may contribute more scoring than most expected. Ness is also having some shifts where he stands out. It is also good to see Schroeder standing out a little more after a slow start. Barriball also sems to have a high level of confidence. And having Patterson playing well gives a lot of breathing room if Kangas were to get sick or have a slow stretch.

Overall, despite the fact they were playing a lesser skilled team, this weekend returned some of my arrogance and hope for the season. Even the PP is starting to look better. Hopefully they can keep building on the improvements they made this weekend as the season progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        This weekend was a good step for Kangas to quiet the critics (mostly non-Mn fans) who thought his play his Freshman year was a fluke. (I still don't see where the SCS fan thinks his positioning is poor. And I assume Lee has yet to give up a goal this year?)
                        Who was that guy hyping Lee again? He's nowhere to be found now. Lee pretty much got benched for Saturday's Tech game because he let in two softies that players like Lee (channeling the SCSU fan now) never give up because of their phenomenal positioning.

Kangas has silenced his critics while Lee's are just getting started. Welcome to the WCHA kid.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Who was that guy hyping Lee again? He's nowhere to be found now. Lee pretty much got benched for Saturday's Tech game because he let in two softies that players like Lee (channeling the SCSU fan now) never give up because of their phenomenal positioning.
                          Heck, I even dropped Lee from my fantasy team (replaced him with Reichard from Miami...what a steal!), and everyone here knows that I'm one of the best judges of goalie talent there is.
                          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                            Heck, I even dropped Lee from my fantasy team (replaced him with Reichard from Miami...what a steal!), and everyone here knows that I'm one of the best judges of goalie talent there is.
                            I had forgotten about that SCSU guy when FTLT gave me a red chicklet for ripping on Lee tying Union. I mean seriously does a guy with that kind of positioning give up three goals to Union? Please.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post

Star Tribune
                              The problem with this is:

A) He didn't charge..
                              B) He didn't leave his feet to make contact
                              C) He didn't lead with his elbow or forarm

So how can you classify "intent to injur" when there are no precursers to point to a malicous hit.

Also, everyone is talking about the hit being late as he'd already shot the puck...and? Because the player shot the puck, a late hit it does not make.

Comment

Originally posted by 61ache View Post
                                Also, everyone is talking about the hit being late as he'd already shot the puck...and? Because the player shot the puck, a late hit it does not make.
                                I don't understand this reasoning. I know leeway is usually given, but technically it is correct to say a player without the puck shouldn't be hit.

Comment

Working...
                                X