X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    I realize it seems like ancient history now, but Leopold was one to stay another year. And while it didn't pay off the way we are talking and he was only a Soph (but played like a Senior), Vanek could have left a year earlier than he did. So it isn't like Gophers have never benefited from guys staying longer than they had to (just not in the past few years). Getting lucky in which recruits (often signed a couple years before they'll even play) continue to develop and which blue-chippers stay longer has such a big part in how a team turns out these days, I don't see how people can put it all on the coaches. Luck in these areas seems to play a bigger part than it did just 10 years ago.
    Pohl, Riddle and G. Potulny scored 214 goals during their careers. This year's Minnesota team has 174 career goals.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
      Last year of the old WCHA, and most likely the last year of old Don Lou Chia Pet.
      Skeeterman, repeat after me, "Lucia is doing a great job and I don't want him to go anywhere."
      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
      Eric's Twitter
      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        Pohl, Riddle and G. Potulny scored 214 goals during their careers. This year's Minnesota team has 174 career goals.
        This is true, but scoring is down league wide. Defensive systems have eroded college hockey.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Wooger made a couple of great points this weekend.

With the new TV timeout rules in the WCHA, more teams are going to be able to roll just two lines far more often. This is really going to help teams like CC & SCSU that have a few star players but don't have the depth of Minnesota, UND & Wisconsin.

With less shifts, teams with high concentrations of NHL draft picks will have less development time for third and fourth linemen.

Lucia made the comment or implied that DU's speed was killing the Gophers. DU has seven forwards under 5'10" who played this weekend. I think Lucia wants Minnesota to get faster, so the newest recruit is no surprise. DU went 5-0-0 against the Badgers last season and it was the same deal. They had no answer for the team speed.
          Last edited by dggoddard; 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
            Skeeterman, repeat after me, "Lucia is doing a great job and I don't want him to go anywhere."
            What Goon said
            Bob is making me concerned
            I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              Lucia made the comment or implied that DU's speed was killing the Gophers. DU has seven forwards under 5'10" who played this weekend. I think Lucia wants Minnesota to get faster, so the newest recruit is no surprise. DU went 5-0-0 against the Badgers last season and it was the same deal. They had no answer for the team speed.
              This can't be correct, because everyone says the Gopher's problem lately has been that they need bigger players. (And that BC team that won it all with Gerbe got lucky?)

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                Wooger made a couple of great points this weekend.

Hopefully the Cepis kid coming in (5'7", 150 lbs I think) can provide a little bit of that quickness that has made great Gopher teams in the past so enjoyable to watch.
                Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice

National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

My Gopher Hockey Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com

Comment

I was glad to see young Lucia do so well yesterday. I would love to hear an explanation from the posters who ripped him in response to the Star Tribune article.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    I was glad to see young Lucia do so well yesterday. I would love to hear an explanation from the posters who ripped him in response to the Star Tribune article.
                    There's a lot of haters. Reading Star Tribune comments on any story brings them out in droves.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Matson deserves some goals. I love watching him find ways through people and keep puck possession on the boards against people twice his size. It blows my mind sometimes.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

As I said on GPL near the end of the game I thought that while it won't show up on the stats sheet, Matson had an incredible night. He making plays all over the ice. He was making hits and breaking up plays on offense and defense. It was really fun to watch him last night. Great to have him back.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

You know who I'm going to tout is Helgeson. Helgeson has been playing great for a freshmen defender since game one. He's going to be a very very good player and I hope he sticks around for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            You know who I'm going to tout is Helgeson. Helgeson has been playing great for a freshmen defender since game one. He's going to be a very very good player and I hope he sticks around for a while.
                            I am surprised. I was told he was absolutely nothing but a stay at home defenseman with grit. But he has been very adept at pinching in low and keeping the play alive, as well as head manning it through the middle. Things stay at home d-guys don't usually do.

Not to mention he is a beast at 6'5" 220, with more space on that frame to pack extra muscle yet.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              I am surprised. I was told he was absolutely nothing but a stay at home defenseman with grit. But he has been very adept at pinching in low and keeping the play alive, as well as head manning it through the middle. Things stay at home d-guys don't usually do.

Not to mention he is a beast at 6'5" 220, with more space on that frame to pack extra muscle yet.
                              Another year of growing and he should be a monster next year.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Another year of growing and he should be a monster next year.
                                Imagine if Bickel were still around as well

Comment

Working...
                                X