X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    As I mentioned on FB, you are gonna have to shoot me to get me off the bandwagon. But.....it might be less painful for me that way.
    I am still on the wagon, lord knows after '98-'99 it couldn't get much worse, could it??

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
      So I heard Dan Barreiro wondered aloud yesterday what would happen first: the Wolves landing Ricky Rubio or the Gopher hockey team scoring again.
      Dan Barreiro may be the biggest c*cksucker in Minnesota.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        And the Gophers are out of the polls already.

It is obviously deserved. Crazy thing is, I still think they are ranked too high with their 106 votes, good enough for 21st.
        I think they are the best 0-3-1 team that was shutout in all 3 losses that I have ever seen!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Let's face it. They got bit by guys leaving early again. Why does Denver have it's high scoring seniors and the Gophers is gone?

If Stoa was here things would be a lot different.
          Denver lost Bozak early, so that's at least a wash with Stoa leaving early. Bozak stayed a year longer than some had expected, but most Gopher fans are pretty glad he was ready for the next level.

Rakhshani turned down a very good offer from the Islanders to stay and be the Denver captain this year as a senior. As a fourth round pick, he's a not a sure-fire NHL prospect, but has developed very well as a middle rounder into a fine college player and leader, with a decent shot at the pro level. Had he been a first or second rounder, I think the pressure on him would have been greater to jump. But he's a great student, loves the school and knew he'd be captain with a pretty well stocked supporting cast. His descision to stay was crucial.

Ruegsegger has been really hampered by injuries in his career, and while he once was a serious NHL prospect, I think he's more likely headed for law school than an NHL career. He gives every ounce of effort he has for Denver, but his skating skills remain suspect to be playing beyond the AHL. There was no pressure on him to jump as a sixth round pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
            Dan Barreiro may be the biggest c*cksucker in Minnesota.
            Actually, I think he is funnier than heck and get a kick out of his antics.
            Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
            Eric's Twitter
            The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
              Actually, I think he is funnier than heck and get a kick out of his antics.
              He's a pompous whiny balding pr^ck 90% of the time. Actually he's balding 100% of the time.
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                Denver lost Bozak early, so that's at least a wash with Stoa leaving early. Bozak stayed a year longer than some had expected, but most Gopher fans are pretty glad he was ready for the next level.

Rakhshani turned down a very good offer from the Islanders to stay and be the Denver captain this year as a senior. As a fourth round pick, he's a not a sure-fire NHL prospect, but has developed very well as a middle rounder into a fine college player and leader, with a decent shot at the pro level. Had he been a first or second rounder, I think the pressure on him would have been greater to jump. But he's a great student, loves the school and knew he'd be captain with a pretty well stocked supporting cast. His descision to stay was crucial.

Ruegsegger has been really hampered by injuries in his career, and while he once was a serious NHL prospect, I think he's more likely headed for law school than an NHL career. He gives every ounce of effort he has for Denver, but his skating skills remain suspect to be playing beyond the AHL. There was no pressure on him to jump as a sixth round pick.
                So, you kind of lucked out with Ruegs and Rakshani then. Great college players that don't necessarily translate to the pro game well so they stay. Gopher players that have stayed haven't turned out to be great college players and the ones that are great float right into the NHL right away. Kind of a tight rope you have to walk as a coach nowadays.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

So, you kind of lucked out with Ruegs and Rakshani then. Great college players that don't necessarily translate to the pro game well so they stay. Gopher players that have stayed haven't turned out to be great college players and the ones that are great float right into the NHL right away. Kind of a tight rope you have to walk as a coach nowadays.
                  I realize it seems like ancient history now, but Leopold was one to stay another year. And while it didn't pay off the way we are talking and he was only a Soph (but played like a Senior), Vanek could have left a year earlier than he did. So it isn't like Gophers have never benefited from guys staying longer than they had to (just not in the past few years). Getting lucky in which recruits (often signed a couple years before they'll even play) continue to develop and which blue-chippers stay longer has such a big part in how a team turns out these days, I don't see how people can put it all on the coaches. Luck in these areas seems to play a bigger part than it did just 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    I realize it seems like ancient history now, but Leopold was one to stay another year. And while it didn't pay off the way we are talking and he was only a Soph (but played like a Senior), Vanek could have left a year earlier than he did. So it isn't like Gophers have never benefited from guys staying longer than they had to (just not in the past few years). Getting lucky in which recruits (often signed a couple years before they'll even play) continue to develop and which blue-chippers stay longer has such a big part in how a team turns out these days, I don't see how people can put it all on the coaches. Luck in these areas seems to play a bigger part than it did just 10 years ago.
                    Well, I think that's what I was saying to Puck Swami is Denver is lined up pretty well for this year based on a little luck.

Vanek did stay another year and that NCAA tourney was disappointing cause I thought they had the horses to go all the way but they ran into a pretty darn good tUMD team. The other year they screwed up was the infamous Holy Cross year as they had it lined up pretty well that year too, although if they had won that they would have met UND in their own barn.

Then of course there is the year they lost to UND out in Denver cause Frazee can't cover a wrap around to save his life.

{sigh} Now I'm depressed again.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Then of course there is the year they lost to UND out in Denver cause Frazee can't cover a wrap around to save his life.
                      Don't forget about Erik Johnson being lazy as hell on that play as well.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

DU has worked hard to show players that leaving college early to go to the AHL is no bargain. Guys who left early for the AHL never it made the NHL (Skinner, Dingle, Paukovich).

Make the NHL team promise you that you'll be invited to camp with a real shot at making the big club or stay in college (Bozak, Stastny & Carle). So far its working pretty well.

And I suspect that DU has convinced the NHL teams that their prospects are getting great coaching, strength training and development at DU at no cost to the team.
                        Last edited by dggoddard; 10-28-2009, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                          Make the NHL team promise you that you'll be invited to camp with a real shot at making the big club or stay in college (Bozak, Stastny & Carle). So far its working pretty well.
                          Also I suspect at those camps players have a chance to talk to other players that were upperclassmen in college, to find out how the pros compares to college as far as player development.
                          "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Last year of the old WCHA, and most likely the last year of old Don Lou Chia Pet.
                            Bob is making me concerned
                            I am the voice of reason

Comment

DU has worked hard to show players that leaving college early to go to the AHL is no bargain. Guys who left early for the AHL never it made the NHL (Skinner, Dingle, Paukovich).

And I suspect that DU has convinced the NHL teams that their prospects are getting great coaching, strength training and development at DU at no cost to the team.
                              Denver is after all a private party school, where opening a book is just an option, and parting with very rich kids is fun. Expectations from the general public is none, and outside pressure to win is zero. What's not to like and stay an extra year to party.
                              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

I still think that even these efforts by the schools only have limited impact compared to the luck of everything working out to keep a player. Guys will still look at players like Wheeler who jumped right into the NHL and think they can too, despite the team giving them a list of players who didn't do that. Some guys will be drafted by teams that won't really give the player much choice about staying. Some kids will think they aren't playing enough, or against high enough level of competition etc or mainly see college as the means to get to their ultimate goal so will jump the first chance they get so they can 'see the money'.

If you get the kid that is drafted by the team that thinks college is a good place for a player to develop and isn't in need of the player immediately; If the kid enjoys college and believes he would benefit from staying as long as possible; and if he sets winning at the college level as a goal more important than starting to get a big paycheck for his life's commitment of becoming the best player he can; and if the player continues to develop and become a Senior leader who is skilled enough to be a star and have a shot at the NHL, then the school got lucky they ended up with that rare player.

Comment

Working...
                                X