This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Lets Face it..... The U is the Michigain (football) of hockey, mediocrity is unacceptible. Time for a new coach.
    - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
    Go you Green and White
    Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight with all your might!
    Rah! Rah! Rah!
    We are here to cheer you
    We are out to win your fame,
    So, Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

It's on TV Right now. 4 game stretch to start the year this is the lowest goal scoring output by a Gopher Team EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F .........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Meh. I'm not really freaking out yet. Starting with UND and Denver blows. Did I expect the Gophers to have a better record? Of course. Did I expect them to have more than three goals at this point? Yes.

They don't look completely lost out there. They have done a decent job along the boards. Obviously, finishing is once again the problem. Oh, and numerous players taking numerous shifts off. *cough*NESS*cough*
        Last edited by state of hockey; 10-25-2009, 09:05 PM.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

I don't know what everyone is so negative about. Sure, we'll loose a few scrappers like Lucia to graduation, but if only Schroeded leaves early, we'll have an extrememly good looking D-corp returning next year after they gain another year of experience! I'm confident next season we'll see improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Let's face it. They got bit by guys leaving early again. Why does Denver have it's high scoring seniors and the Gophers is gone?

If Stoa was here things would be a lot different.
            It would have been Stoa's fifth year at the U due to the previous season ending after two games with the knee injury. I'm guessing he already had his degree last spring, so why would he return?

Secondly, a team whose offense disappears completely due to losing one player does not show an encouraging amount of depth. You'd think Lucia could have recruited a few guys that have some idea how to score goals over the past 2-3 years.

Koho, that's wonderful. You pretty much just said we've got defense and nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
              I don't know what everyone is so negative about. Sure, we'll loose a few scrappers like Lucia to graduation, but if only Schroeded leaves early, we'll have an extrememly good looking D-corp returning next year after they gain another year of experience! I'm confident next season we'll see improvement.
              Hey Koho are ya already flushin this season down the toilet talkin about next year already?

*****http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v295/226/95/531960170/n531960170_3847063_3178.jpg******
              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                Meh. I'm not really freaking out yet. Starting with UND and Denver blows. Did I expect the Gophers to have a better record? Of course. Did I expect them to have more than three goals at this point? Yes.

They don't look completely lost out there. They have done a decent job along the boards. Obviously, finishing is once again the problem. Oh, and numerous players taking numerous shifts off. *cough*NESS*cough*

I agree with this. They have shown a few good things, and I think the effort (except for the first night in Grand Forks) has been pretty good.

I also have been disappointed with Ness in particular. The kid at times looks like he's not even paying attention/is surprised when the play comes his way. I didn't expect that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                  It would have been Stoa's fifth year at the U due to the previous season ending after two games with the knee injury. I'm guessing he already had his degree last spring, so why would he return?

Secondly, a team whose offense disappears completely due to losing one player does not show an encouraging amount of depth. You'd think Lucia could have recruited a few guys that have some idea how to score goals over the past 2-3 years.

Koho, that's wonderful. You pretty much just said we've got defense and nothing else.
                  I was actually just putting in my first post for the summer/pre-2010-11 season thread.

Seriously though, a team with a solid D-corp that can be offensive has been the key to a good team. Denver's D looked very solid, preventing MN from getting many good scoring opportunities, despite the fact that MN had pretty good puck possession and worked pretty hard most of the game. I am not as negative on this season as most appear to be. (As usual, I was very negative until I read some of these posts and then started thinking it can't be that bad.) The horrible PP success needs to be remedied. their passing isn't crisp, but it just seems there is too much raw stick handling/passing talent on that team for it not to improve considerably. And it is unfortunate they don't have a go-to sniper who can score that goal to lift the team at key times. I think they looked ok against the consensus preseason #1 team. I think Denver played a better game, but didn't dominate. One bounce early to get one in the net and things could have gone differently. Scoring looks like it will be a challenge, but the D and goaltending should be good, so I don't think they need to be a high-scoring team to do well. While no one appears to be a big goal scorer, look top to bottom at the players on this team and there were a lot of points these players generated in their past. The college game is faster, but most of them still have the talent to score some goals. I'll follow them all year no matter what happens. My expectations are lower than they were, but I still think they can get a top five finish (closer to five than 2 or three.)

Comment

I remember Woog got into trouble by recruiting too many high school kids. Many of them were super talented but inexperienced, is it happening again? Should all the incoming recruits be seasoned USHL and Ann Arbor kids? Makes me wonder.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      I remember Woog got into trouble by recruiting too many high school kids. Many of them were super talented but inexperienced, is it happening again? Should all the incoming recruits be seasoned USHL and Ann Arbor kids? Makes me wonder.
                      I don't think that is an issue at all. You look at guys like Carman, Flynn, Lucia, Hoeffel, Fischer, Fairchild, Wehrs, White....these aren't young kids just stepping into the league. And I would include Schroeder on that list as he proved last year that he is more than capable of being an impact player in the WCHA.

I think the bigger problem is that the only upperclassmen left on the squad are guys who were either recruited as role players or who were supposed to be top-end talent and just didn't live up to it (why they are still in college and haven't signed a pro contract). My feeling is that you will see more and more kids coming in young, and even accelerating their academics to get in even earlier just so teams can have them for 2-3 years instead of 1-2.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                        The Gophers are going to get better simply because they obviously they can't get much worse. If they meet this challenge head on, they will come out of this as better individuals and as a better team. Although this situation is unique as being shutout at home two games in a row hasn't happened in 70 years, there are numerous historical examples of Gopher teams that have fought back to victory.

Past Gopher teams that have risen out of the doldrums of adversity and staged a valiant comeback are the kind of memorable scenarios that represent the rewards of perseverance, and make being a Gopher fan exhilarating. The Gopher hockey program and wearing the "M" has always represented a strong work ethic, a pursuit of excellence and a resilient tenacity to never quit until the final buzzer at the end of the season. In my opinion this is an opportunity to see that personified. Furthermore, let's not forget that crucial components of being a student athlete and a coach are character building and actualizing ones true potential as a human being not only winning hockey games.

It's unfortunate that this has to happen at the beginning of the season as we really haven't witnessed enough hockey to know what this team is really capable of. Regardless of what some have indicated on this board, this season's team is different than last year for many reasons. The personnel and team dynamics have changed while the aspirations and goals of personal and team development to win championships remains the same.

I am sure Don Lucia, the staff and players are aware of the resultant fan disapproval and it's ramifications. There's nothing wrong with fans criticizing their team even to the extent of not buying tickets. Moreover, it's entirely natural for there to be "knee jerk reactions" from even dedicated fans to difficult situations like this.

Nevertheless, I think it's unfortunate when "fair weather" fans abandon their team and "jump the bandwagon" or "throw in the towel", especially after only 10% of the season has been played. Fans like this will always gravitate to some new self enhancement mechanism. That to me does not represent the type of Gopher fan loyalty, tradition and values I have grown accustomed to over the years. Perhaps this is also an opportunity to see who will extend hope and truly represent their team through the good and the bad times.
                        Nice post. This was well-thought and certainly timely, given the fact that a lot of Gopher-nation seems to be jumping ship. I think everyone should just take a deep breath and look forward to next week when we (finally) won't play a team with so many weapons.

I'll admit, I have a few doubts, but I'll never give up hope. If it takes another week to get the lines right, then so be it. There's too much talent on that roster for them not to start scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                          I don't think that is an issue at all. You look at guys like Carman, Flynn, Lucia, Hoeffel, Fischer, Fairchild, Wehrs, White....these aren't young kids just stepping into the league. And I would include Schroeder on that list as he proved last year that he is more than capable of being an impact player in the WCHA.
                          Something to think about...has Minnesota really had a leader since Grant Potulny?

(Honest question, not looking to start the "you needed a North Dakotan...blah, blah, blah" crap)
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Yeah. Jeff Frazee.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMN View Post
                              Nice post. This was well-thought and certainly timely, given the fact that a lot of Gopher-nation seems to be jumping ship. I think everyone should just take a deep breath and look forward to next week when we (finally) won't play a team with so many weapons.

I'll admit, I have a few doubts, but I'll never give up hope. If it takes another week to get the lines right, then so be it. There's too much talent on that roster for them not to start scoring.
                              As I mentioned on FB, you are gonna have to shoot me to get me off the bandwagon. But.....it might be less painful for me that way.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                                Something to think about...has Minnesota really had a leader since Grant Potulny?

(Honest question, not looking to start the "you needed a North Dakotan...blah, blah, blah" crap)
                                While I wouldn't consider either of these guys as good a leader as Grant was, Gino Guyer and Danny Irmen were pretty good for this team when they were here.
                                04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
                                USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
                                I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
                                Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
                                I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Working...
                                X