X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Well I don't remember them being that great last year on defense (they have had better D corps there in Eaves' tenure) so losing their best d-man really doesn't make me think they will have a DEFENSE FOR THE AGES!!111!!! No offense but your opinion sucks

I am sure it will better than the Gophs, but I am not quaking in my boots about the D corp Sconnie put together. If it was really that great they would walk away with the conference because a great D and their NHL style system will win almost every close game even with a shaky goaltender. Considering how the conference has played out the last couple years I will guess that the WCHA is going to be super competitive again meaning a team that has an All Time Great Defense which is what you are implying should have no problems winning.

So, will you sack up and predict the BADgers to win the WCHA because if the D is as good as you say you Mr. Coach Defense McDefense they should have no issues.
    First off, go tell an intelligent Badger fan (it may take you a couple attempts ) that Jamie McBain was their best defenseman last year, and they'll laugh at you. At UW, where defense is a premium, they would call him an offensive weapon, but a defensive liability. That's as funny as when rhm said SCSU would lose a great player when Brocklehurst graduated.... you can't tell how good someone, especially a defenseman is, by just looking at the box score.

Also, in as competitive of a league as it is, did you just say a team could win the McNaughton with a shaky goaltender?!? And somehow I'm on the seat for a ridiculous statement? And no, I won't predict UW to win the McNaughton, because their offense is just a little above average, and they have two question marks in net. How's this for a (albeit boring) prediction: there is no darkhorse this year. Straight chalk, DU, UW, UND, MN and SCSU all get home ice, and unlike in past years, there's a 4 to 6 point gap between 5th and 6th.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
      Ok, you may know some things about Gopher hockey, but you obviously don't know what's going on in Badgerland these days. This pains me to say, 'cause I hate the Badgers a great deal, but Wisconsin is bringing a defense FOR THE AGES this year. Minnesota's got a good defense, but when he said UW had a significantly better one, it wasn't an insult to Gopherdom. And losing McBain is going to hurt UW's points scored, but going to help them keep the puck out of their net. McBain may have been an offensive weapon, but was a HUGE liability in their own zone.
      Hey, someone smart who lives on the west side of the Mississippi. I guess not having marrooon and urine colored glasses on clears the vision.

I wouldn't say McB was huge liability (Like a Jeff Likens was) in the d zone, in fact I'd say he was pretty solid. I really don't think UW will miss him. UW has plenty of D talent to fill his spot, being a "D Corps of the Ages", on paper anyway.

The fact McB won POTY last year was more of an inditement of the underwhelming performances of others in the WCHA than his overall dominance on the ice. Smith would have outscored him had he been healthy all year.

I'm always amazed every year with the national media bias in favor of the rodents. They are picked 4th in the WCHA but 6th in the country ahead of the 2nd and 3rd place teams in their own league. I guess tDon mails out a lot of those urine and marooon colored glasses to all the beat writers in the enitre country every year.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        blah blah blah, say a crappy joke enough times it is meaningless, blah blah.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Also, in as competitive of a league as it is, did you just say a team could win the McNaughton with a shaky goaltender?!? And somehow I'm on the seat for a ridiculous statement? And no, I won't predict UW to win the McNaughton, because their offense is just a little above average, and they have two question marks in net. How's this for a (albeit boring) prediction: there is no darkhorse this year. Straight chalk, DU, UW, UND, MN and SCSU all get home ice, and unlike in past years, there's a 4 to 6 point gap between 5th and 6th.
          No I said if you have a DEFENSE FOR THE AGES!!111!! like you attest you can win the league with shaky goaltending. They play a trap, first team to 3 goals wins and a great D wont let you get enough shots to score 3 goals. Previous Sconnie D's were good enough for that, I dont think this D is that good.

Let me put it into perspective for you...in 2001-2002 the Gophers had Jordan Leopold on the first pairing, Paul Martin on the second pairing and Keith Ballard on the third...that would be closer to a defense for the ages than what Sconnie has. And that isnt a slight against Sconnie, that is just how good that defense really was. (Hobey, All Americans, all 3 regular NHL players)

Like I said I am sure the Sconnie D will be better than the Gophs, but I don't see them scaring the crap out of the rest of the WCHA. You have your opinion and I have mine.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'm always amazed every year with the national media bias in favor of the rodents. They are picked 4th in the WCHA but 6th in the country ahead of the 2nd and 3rd place teams in their own league. I guess tDon mails out a lot of those urine and marooon colored glasses to all the beat writers in the enitre country every year.
            Imagine, for a moment, a fan that supports a college hockey team who's uniform looks like Courtney Love's used tampon. Now imagine this same fan casting dispersions against another teams colors because one of the colors looks like the Green Bay Packers.

Gentleman, I give you a Wisconsin fan.

Like they say, you can't make this stuff up!?
            "There are three things that people will watch without saying a word: a river, a campfire and the Zamboni cleaning the ice."

Charles Schulz

Comment

As for the polls, you're right, the Gophers must be amazing. Them and Michigan never get a lot of love from voters who don't really pay attention to the offseason and base their votes on program's history.
              That's what havinga history provides: the occasional, errant, platitiude on a meaningless, pre-season poll.

Not that SCSU would know...
              "There are three things that people will watch without saying a word: a river, a campfire and the Zamboni cleaning the ice."

Charles Schulz

Comment

Harley, I stated an opinion. I don't need to "back it up," I'll stand by the statement if UW's defense collectively lays an egg, and I'll bring it back up at a later point if it holds true. If you want player by player analysis, of their squad, go look it up somewhere, I'm not going to spend the time putting one together because frankly, I don't believe you'd take the time to give it more than half a glance.
                Opinion, no facts, just emotion. Nice work.

It may be a bold statement to call their defense a collection for the ages, but its in no way outlandish, and the fact that you can't see that helps me see the extent of your knowledge of WCHA teams other than the Gophers... and a rival to boot.
                I like how you make an absurd (and yes, outlandish) statement like "Wisconsin is bringing a defense FOR THE AGES this year", can't prove it and then deflect the blame on someone else. You're a classy piece of work.

As for the polls, you're right, the Gophers must be amazing. Them and Michigan never get a lot of love from voters who don't really pay attention to the offseason and base their votes on program's history.
                Amazing...another opinion you can't prove.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                  Gonna have to disagree there.
                  Ah, the easy way out.

Comment

INCH 2009-10 Preseason All-America Teams

Jordan Schroeder - 1st Team
                    Cade Fairchild - 2nd Team
                    Nick Leddy - Rookie Team

Oddly enough, not one Wisconsin "Defense for the Ages" player is mentioned. It's all flawed.
                    Last edited by HarleyMC; 10-02-2009, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Hey, someone smart who lives on the west side of the Mississippi. I guess not having marrooon and urine colored glasses on clears the vision.

I wouldn't say McB was huge liability (Like a Jeff Likens was) in the d zone, in fact I'd say he was pretty solid. I really don't think UW will miss him. UW has plenty of D talent to fill his spot, being a "D Corps of the Ages", on paper anyway.

The fact McB won POTY last year was more of an inditement of the underwhelming performances of others in the WCHA than his overall dominance on the ice. Smith would have outscored him had he been healthy all year.

Im amazed anyone would give a rip about preseason poles If it makes you feel better make Bucky number 1 I will back you all the way

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post

Nick Leddy - Rookie Team

Oddly enough, not one Wisconsin "Defense for the Ages" player is mentioned. It's all flawed.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Doesn't this belong in the "Drunk Cheesehead Of The Day" thread?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                          Twenty red lights in his honor
                          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

And these poles mean so much don't they.

When you are the best college hockey program around you get a few perks.
                            Originally posted by CavalryNate
                            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                            sigpic

Comment

Nick Leddy - Rookie Team

What do they know? 4 of 6 Rookies from WCHA and not one from the annual number 1 freshman class in the country.

Comment

Nick Leddy - Rookie Team

Not that I would disagree with any of their choices since it is just the preseason, but remember to check the source.
                                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X