X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    All I heard was, "Blah, blah, blah... I'm a dirty whore."

If you wanna stick your fingers in your ears and not listen to anything anyone has to say that doesn't put your Gophers in good light (and so far, nobody's even attacking the Gophers, just saying the Badgers' D will be better), fine, then go back in your cave.
    On paper...
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Yes and yes.
      I bet Minnesota ends up the better group on both sides of the ice by year end.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Not saying that won't happen, but I can't argue with ranking their D ahead at the beginning of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          On paper...
          Hey, all I'm saying is on paper. On paper, SCSU had a ton of talent last year and should've had a much better season, but it turns out when you don't show up for half of the games....

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          I'd take that bet, but that's not a preposterous statement to make.
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

If you wanna stick your fingers in your ears and not listen to anything anyone has to say that doesn't put your Gophers in good light (and so far, nobody's even attacking the Gophers, just saying the Badgers' D will be better), fine, then go back in your cave.
            Then just explain how Sconnie is bringing in a "Defense for the Ages" since apparently you are the expert on all things defense...I wont hold my breath though.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Ah, reverting back to your typical eisegetical epistemology. Very entertaining. BTW, I'm not interested in your personal hygiene.

Don't be too sensitive my third culture friend... Everyone is entitled to an opinion. That's why they call this a discussion board. I did feel you misread my post...again.

Remember, you initiated the discussion and have yet to prove your statement, "Wisconsin is bringing a defense FOR THE AGES this year" w/o the use of stats which you indicated are "flawed". I'm basing my opinion on a few stats, some hopeful speculation on new recruits and a likely improvement in the defense. IMHO based on that, I feel they are "dead even" with Bucky's defense. We shall soon see. But that's what I'm goin' with right now, which is in part more consistent with the USA Today Poll. Of course the poles don't matter anyway.

Comment

It's officially October!

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                  Ah, reverting back to your typical eisegetical epistemology. Very entertaining. BTW, I'm not interested in your personal hygiene.

Don't be too sensitive my third culture friend... Everyone is entitled to an opinion. That's why they call this a discussion board. I did feel you misread my post...again.

Remember, you initiated the discussion and have yet to prove your statement, "Wisconsin is bringing a defense FOR THE AGES this year" w/o the use of stats which you indicated are "flawed". I'm basing my opinion on a few stats, some hopeful speculation on new recruits and a likely improvement in the defense. IMHO based on that, I feel they are "dead even" with Bucky's defense. We shall soon see. But that's what I'm goin' with right now, which is in part more consistent with the USA Today Poll. Of course the poles don't matter anyway.
                  Why should I put up facts? So you can shoot them down? If I talk about how highly touted they have been coming in or where they were drafted, you'll bring up examples of potential stars people have gotten wrong. If I talk about how they turned Connelly into a passable goaltender the past two seasons, you'll tell me how talented he was (and maybe it was just what I saw of him, but I thought ol' Wobbles was a pathetic excuse for a WCHA starting goalie, not to mention at a program that elite).

I don't have a ton of "facts" to throw at you. But if you and Handy can't recognize that Ryan McDonough, Brendan Smith, Cody Goloubef, Jake Gardiner, Justin Schultz and John Ramage isn't a HELL of a blueline group... then what I'm typing now is probably a waste of time too. But remember that I'm an SCSU fan, so in a comparison of MN to UW, I don't have a horse. Frankly, I don't like either side. All I've said from the beginning is that my opinion is that UW's D-men are better, and I REALLY believe if you swapped them, so all those guys were in maroon and gold, and Ness, Fairchild, Leddy and co. were in Wisconsin, you'd agree with who the better squad was.

For God's sake, Slap Shot is agreeing with me, and if you've been around here long at all, you know that that's a pretty rare occurance. But if you wanna stand your ground, hey, its your right to do so.

EDIT: By the way, the polls have MN ahead of UW because of offense and goaltending. And while Kangas looked shaky at times last year, I certainly give you guys the edge in net. I think Bennett has a lot of potential, but Kangas is something that no UW goaltender is at this level: proven.
                  Last edited by SCSU Euro; 10-01-2009, 02:21 AM.

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

Someone invested in word of the day toilet paper.
                    St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Why should I put up facts?
                      Because a fact or stat based argument, logically presented, has a better likelihood of success than an appeal that's rooted in your emotions and the banality of your own opinion? Of course if you believe stats are "flawed" as you indicated, you're likelihood of success drops like rock.

If I talk about how highly touted they have been coming in or where they were drafted, you'll bring up examples of potential stars people have gotten wrong. If I talk about how they turned Connelly into a passable goaltender the past two seasons, you'll tell me how talented he was (and maybe it was just what I saw of him, but I thought ol' Wobbles was a pathetic excuse for a WCHA starting goalie, not to mention at a program that elite).
                      Sounds like a presumptuous excuse to me. But I'll give you a pass.

I don't have a ton of "facts" to throw at you.
                      Nothin', huh? When you make an outlandishly bold statement like "Wisconsin is bringing a defense FOR THE AGES this year" w/o sufficient evidence or resources to substantiate it, your argument really has no validity. From your statement it sounds like you believe they have the best defensive corp ever assembled. That's very hard to prove at this point. Especially if you believe that stats are "flawed".

But if you and Handy can't recognize that Ryan McDonough, Brendan Smith, Cody Goloubef, Jake Gardiner, Justin Schultz and John Ramage isn't a HELL of a blueline group... then what I'm typing now is probably a waste of time too.
                      A waste of time because we don't agree with YOU? If that's the criterion for interacting with you on this board, your time is probably better spent somewhere else.

No one is saying they're not talented. But in addition to what I've already written, input from coaches and journalists representing each of the six DI conferences, as well as composite votes from officers of the AHCA and USA Hockey Magazine, the most widely distributed hockey magazine in the world, rated Wisconsin 14th and the Gophers 6th for a reason. The standardization of the norms and predictive validity of the USA Today Poll is more reliable (poles don't matter) than previously published polls for this season.

I don't think it is because of Kangas and the offense only that the Gophers got there either. If anything, although I believe Kangas is the real deal, many feel he is one of the question marks going into this season. There's apparently a consensus that the Gopher defense will be substantially better than last year. I think it's also an assessment of Wisconsin's weak offense, goaltending and somewhat "overrated" defense.

But remember that I'm an SCSU fan, so in a comparison of MN to UW, I don't have a horse. Frankly, I don't like either side. All I've said from the beginning is that my opinion is that UW's D-men are better, and I REALLY believe if you swapped them, so all those guys were in maroon and gold, and Ness, Fairchild, Leddy and co. were in Wisconsin, you'd agree with who the better squad was.
                      No. You REALLY believe your opinion is right, but you have no facts to substantiate it. BTW you just might be a closet Gopher fan.

For God's sake, Slap Shot is agreeing with me, and if you've been around here long at all, you know that that's a pretty rare occurance.
                      The man has the heart of a Teddy Bear.

Comment

For God's sake, Slap Shot is agreeing with me, and if you've been around here long at all, you know that that's a pretty rare occurance. But if you wanna stand your ground, hey, its your right to do so.
                        Point of clarification - I agree with you that on paper UW's defense should be rated higher. I do not agree it's a, "defense for the ages" and I don't know how I would rate the gap between the two.

As for facts - you may not have cold hard facts per se to backup your assertion, but you could detail player by player why you believe what you do. I think Harley would be willing to accept your points have merit, even if in the end he wouldn't fully agree. Besides, if all we did was agree there wouldn't be rivalries and this board wouldn't exist.

Comment

Point of clarification - I agree with you that on paper UW's defense should be rated higher. I do not agree it's a, "defense for the ages" and I don't know how I would rate the gap between the two.

As for facts - you may not have cold hard facts per se to backup your assertion, but you could detail player by player why you believe what you do. I think Harley would be willing to accept your points have merit, even if in the end he wouldn't fully agree. Besides, if all we did was agree there wouldn't be rivalries and this board wouldn't exist.
                          The "defense for the ages" comment will go down as one of the worst comments EVER made on USCHO.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Article from Gophersports and the game notes PDF for the British Columbia game are up.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=204804613
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Nothin', huh? When you make an outlandishly bold statement like "Wisconsin is bringing a defense FOR THE AGES this year" w/o sufficient evidence or resources to substantiate it, your argument really has no validity. From your statement it sounds like you believe they have the best defensive corp ever assembled. That's very hard to prove at this point. Especially if you believe that stats are "flawed".

No one is saying they're not talented. But in addition to what I've already written, input from coaches and journalists representing each of the six DI conferences, as well as composite votes from officers of the AHCA and USA Hockey Magazine, the most widely distributed hockey magazine in the world, rated Wisconsin 14th and the Gophers 6th for a reason. The standardization of the norms and predictive validity of the USA Today Poll is more reliable (poles don't matter) than previously published polls for this season.
                              Harley, I stated an opinion. I don't need to "back it up," I'll stand by the statement if UW's defense collectively lays an egg, and I'll bring it back up at a later point if it holds true. If you want player by player analysis, of their squad, go look it up somewhere, I'm not going to spend the time putting one together because frankly, I don't believe you'd take the time to give it more than half a glance.

It may be a bold statement to call their defense a collection for the ages, but its in no way outlandish, and the fact that you can't see that helps me see the extent of your knowledge of WCHA teams other than the Gophers... and a rival to boot.

As for the polls, you're right, the Gophers must be amazing. Them and Michigan never get a lot of love from voters who don't really pay attention to the offseason and base their votes on program's history.

I think Harley would be willing to accept your points have merit, even if in the end he wouldn't fully agree.
                              Gonna have to disagree there.

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              The "defense for the ages" comment will go down as one of the worst comments EVER made on USCHO.
                              Then hold me to it if they turn into one collective mess at the blueline.

Comment

Well I don't remember them being that great last year on defense (they have had better D corps there in Eaves' tenure) so losing their best d-man really doesn't make me think they will have a DEFENSE FOR THE AGES!!111!!! No offense but your opinion sucks

I am sure it will better than the Gophs, but I am not quaking in my boots about the D corp Sconnie put together. If it was really that great they would walk away with the conference because a great D and their NHL style system will win almost every close game even with a shaky goaltender. Considering how the conference has played out the last couple years I will guess that the WCHA is going to be super competitive again meaning a team that has an All Time Great Defense which is what you are implying should have no problems winning.

So, will you sack up and predict the BADgers to win the WCHA because if the D is as good as you say you Mr. Coach Defense McDefense they should have no issues.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X