Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013, '14, '15 Frozen Four Sites

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...morecities.php

Of the mentioned "new" venues, I think Pittsburgh would be good. Kansas City and Omaha would be meh. I don't see how Denver can think they're "in the bid cycle" for 5-6 years post 2008 when both Boston and St. Paul are being asked to wait longer, and seeing how there are so many other viable options now than were there last time, let alone if Boston throws in a bid...

My 2 cents - You can cross off Washington (2009), Denver (2008), St. Louis (2007) - just too soon. Then, let's say Boston (2004) bids. They would easily get one of the three. That leaves Buffalo (2003) and the newbys - KC, Omaha and Pittsburgh. Clearly, only one of KC or O-town could be an option, and seeing as it only holds 16,600 for hockey, I don't see Omaha as a viable option. The Sprint Center in KC isn't much better - 17,000 for hockey. Personally, I think Pittsburgh, representing the "now" (Sidney Crosby) market for hockey (wth the current Stanley Cup and a new 18,000 seat rink opening in 2010) wins a FF, with Buffalo as the third.

Edit - I'd love to see Chicago put in a bid. Resurgent NHL market, 22,000 seat building, better area around the rink than 10 years ago (and a great city overall)...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by moose97; 09-15-2009, 02:38 PM.
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Re: 2013, '14, '15 Frozen Four Sites

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...morecities.php

Of the mentioned "new" venues, I think Pittsburgh would be good. Kansas City and Omaha would be meh. I don't see how Denver can think they're "in the bid cycle" for 5-6 years post 2008 when both Boston and St. Paul are being asked to wait longer, and seeing how there are so many other viable options now than were there last time, let alone if Boston throws in a bid...

My 2 cents - You can cross off Washington (2009), Denver (2008), St. Louis (2007) - just too soon. Then, let's say Boston (2004) bids. They would easily get one of the three. That leaves Buffalo (2003) and the newbys - KC, Omaha and Pittsburgh. Clearly, only one of KC or O-town could be an option, and seeing as it only holds 16,600 for hockey, I don't see Omaha as a viable option. The Sprint Center in KC isn't much better - 17,000 for hockey. Personally, I think Pittsburgh, representing the "now" (Sidney Crosby) market for hockey (wth the current Stanley Cup and a new 18,000 seat rink opening in 2010) wins a FF, with Buffalo as the third.

Edit - I'd love to see Chicago put in a bid. Resurgent NHL market, 22,000 seat building, better area around the rink than 10 years ago (and a great city overall)...

Thoughts?
    I agree on writing off Washington and Denver, though St. Louis might be a candidate for the 2015 site, since it'd have been 8 years by then. Though in the next cycle, the other two have to be favorites. I really hope Buffalo doesn't get a bid, it's a boring and ugly city. Pittsburgh would be a nice change, however. I've never been to KC but it seems like it'd be a risk since there's no NHL or college presence, though the NCAA was willing to go for Tampa so who knows. Chicago would be a fantastic choice if it submitted a bid for loads of reasons, it's probably the best site that's the most easily accessible for all 3 major conferences. Certainly if Boston submits a bid they appear to be a shoe-in. Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh would be a solid next 3 sites.
    time to write new history

Comment

For all the work that the Robert Morris athletic department has put into a bid, it will be almost ridiculous for them not to land the 2013 or 2014 Championship.

This city does well with events. Between the 2006 MLB All-Star Game, two NFL Kickoffs, two Stanley Cup Finals, and next week's G-20 Summit, I think this town has done enough to prove that we can handle a little old college hockey tournament.
      Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
        Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh would be a solid next 3 sites.
        Couldn't ask for anything more...

AHA:
        ECAC:

Comment

I'll jump on the Boston-Chicago-Pittsburgh bandwagon. I think those would be the best three options.
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

The reason why Denver is "in the mix" is that their Sports Commission has their act together. They are aggressive in their bids and they deliver the goods ($$$$). The 2008 Frozen Four received rave reviews from the NCAA and they encouraged Denver to bid again.

I think the NCAA would rather deal with a deep pocketed sports commission than a small school that might not be able to fund the guarantees. Plus its easier to deal with professionals who are used to hosting sporting events, conventions and trade shows.
            Last edited by dggoddard; 09-15-2009, 03:21 PM.

Comment

I think that by placing the even in cities like DC and Anaheim, you could argue that the committee isnt interested primarily in getting the event in a hockey-hotbed, but more so in a place that's going to be easy to get to, and have some fun stuff to do near by.

Why not New Orleans?
              Boston University Hockey
              1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown6 View Post
                I think that by placing the even in cities like DC and Anaheim, you could argue that the committee isnt interested primarily in getting the event in a hockey-hotbed, but more so in a place that's going to be easy to get to, and have some fun stuff to do near by.

Why not New Orleans?
                rink size?
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  rink size?
                  New Orleans Arena seats 18,000 and has hosted hockey...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Arena

The now-defunct New Orleans Brass of the ECHL played in the New Orleans Arena their last three seasons before their demise in 2002.

Comment

Chi/KC
                    Pitt
                    NO

not necessarily in that order
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Boston, Buffalo, Pittsburgh

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                        New Orleans Arena seats 18,000 and has hosted hockey...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Arena
                        It seats 18,000 for basketball. It seats 16,500 for arena football, which uses the same 200 x 85 surface that hockey does (and has a lot of obstructed views, I think).
                        *****http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site571/2009/0804/20090804__ecct0804aflfold~5_GALLERY.JPG******
                        "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown6 View Post

Why not New Orleans?
                          Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          rink size?
                          New Orleans Arena doesn't list a hockey capacity (16,500 for arena football), and used to be the home for the New Orleans Brass of the ECHL... Anyone know if NOA still has icemaking capabilities, or if that was damaged in Katrina, and just not replaced?

On rink size, I'd agree that it's quite small, but the "stuff to do" factor would be rather high.

AHA:
                          ECAC:

Comment

I'd bet the worst NO view >>>>>>> best ford field view.
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              I'd bet the worst NO view >>>>>>> best ford field view.
                              Doubtful.

At Ford Field, you'll still be able to see the whole rink - you just might be really far away.

In NO, you'd have whole sections blocked off. The capacity is already low, and would be lower if you count the seats that could see all of the ice.
                              "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Working...
                              X