Michigan State 2009-2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan State 2009-2010

I have no ambition to re-write stuff, so here's a blatant cut-and-paste job...

Back. Ah hell, where to begin? Well, here's some slightly categorized thoughts.

The Good:
    - Chick-fil-A for Lunch, Steak n' Shake for dinner. Well, at least I ate well.
    - We scored two goals that we had no business scoring. We were getting some bounces in the first two frames, at least
    - I liked Palmisano's play in the first two periods. The kid stood on his head for as long as he could. Unfortunately, the kids around him stopped playing and the floodgates burst.

The Bad:
    - Ugh... again, where to begin? Well, let's start with the PP - it was atrocious. Another shorthanded goal, more mass confusion, and maybe three shots on all of our PP opportunities combined. Awful, awful, awful.
    - You can definitely tell we really missed Sucharski out there tonight. We couldn't buy a face-off win against ND's top-two lines with what we had. We lost the majority of the face-offs, therefore, the Irish controlled the majority of the game.
    - Defense! Where the hell was the defense?! Road cone-itis again tonight; nearly 50 SOG by Notre Dame, most of which were quality chances. What the *******?!
    - WE QUIT, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. The moment Notre Dame scored the third goal - you could tell by everybody's body language - we quit. Absolutely shameful the performance by our top two lines in the third. Easilly the worst 20 or 25 minutes of Spartan hockey all **** season.
    - Is something wrong with Gazley? He looked like he was favoring his arm tonight - he rarely took shots when given the opportunity, and the shots he did take were laughably slow and off-target.
    - We haven't found a solution to the Jeff Jackson riddle. Three games against a team in the CCHA basement, and we can't beat them.

The Other:
    - Yes, the Joyce Center is as dumpy as it looks on TV. It's like they plopped an ice rink in my high school's axillary gym and bought some used portable seating to toss around it. Notre Dame fans should be thanking their lucky stars that they're getting a new barn - they really, really need it.
    - ND's hockey band is excellent, and I wish the Brass would take some notes. They started all the chants, they were into the game, and they cared. I really wish MSU would have a dedicated hockey band, because we need this same enthusiasm out of our band at our building.

Alright, nearly off to bed.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post

The Other:
      - Yes, the Joyce Center is as dumpy as it looks on TV. It's like they plopped an ice rink in my high school's axillary gym and bought some used portable seating to toss around it. Notre Dame fans should be thanking their lucky stars that they're getting a new barn - they really, really need it.
      Funny but that is almost word for word how everyone describes the Joyce Center when they first see it. Years ago (in the WCHA days) it didn't look quite so out of place as the auxiliary stands on the east, south, and west sides of the rink were much larger and by themselves formed a bit of a wall around the place. The curtain holds a little of the sound in, but looks so ridiculous as to hardly be worth it. And yeah, we really do need a new place. All the talk is always about how much we should model Miami and their rink, but I wouldn't mind a touch or two from Munn, which I think in may ways screams college hockey.
      ND's hockey band is excellent, and I wish the Brass would take some notes. They started all the chants, they were into the game, and they cared. I really wish MSU would have a dedicated hockey band, because we need this same enthusiasm out of our band at our building.
      Jackson absolutely LOVES the energy this band brings to games, and has gone out of his way to incorporate them into the program. Marching band members are ASKING to be a part of this group now. I only wish the university would take off the PG limits on what they are allowed to do. Now I don't mean they need to do a UM or WMU student-like chant when an opposing player skates to the penalty bench, but they are not allowed even a stray "suck" to make its way into a chant. My prediction for the new building is that as long as a winning program makes it way into it in 2 years, it will have one of the better band/student sections in college hockey. The difference between a Joyce Center crowd without the band/students present (even a sold-out crowd) and one with the kids here is so unbelievably different you wouldn't think you were at the same place.

Comment

Well crap. I was just thinking this week how this team gives the most consistent performance of any teams under comley and other than a couple lackluster performances, we have yet to have an actual bad game.

Comment

Well, even though we only got 2 points out of the weekend, at least coming back to tie it late and winning the shootout doesn't leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

I feel like that was the best game we have played against Notre Dame. Even though we blew that 3-0 lead, I think that if our penalty kill was at all effective then it would have been an easy win. I think we did a fine job of creating offense against a team that until last night had completely smothered us. I was also pleased to see how hard we were able to push in the last 10 minutes when down by one and it was a great feeling to be rewarded with the goal to tie it.

If we didn't have Andrew Rowe, i don't think we would ever even come close to winning any shootouts.

I sat at the very top of the student section for the third period right under that little overhang for the box area with the really low ceiling and just about destroyed both of my hands when we scored that 4th goal.

Comment

Also, We need 6 points next weekend if we want to keep any decent gap between us and Alaska or LSSU now. With Michigan and Ferris coming up, things could get sticky.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
              Also, We need 6 points next weekend if we want to keep any decent gap between us and Alaska or LSSU now. With Michigan and Ferris coming up, things could get sticky.
              It's time for us to start beating the teams we're supposed to beat.

We must sweep OSU next week.
              66 - 86 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

I'm spent

Comment

Just looked at the Pairwise... ick.

We're the last team in, as of right now; not much for wiggle-room. We really need to sweep Ohio State this weekend.
                  66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                    Just looked at the Pairwise... ick.

We're the last team in, as of right now; not much for wiggle-room. We really need to sweep Ohio State this weekend.
                    Really? Kinda thought we were in a little better shape than that. I suppose that is what going 0-2-2 against an underachieving ND team will do to you.

Well I was at the Coney Station/Island whatever on GR last night getting some late dinner and right at the front counter they have a thing where you can enter to win hockey tickets. You can also choose basketball tickets so i guess it won't work anyway

Comment

Using the coupons from Saturday's game already, eh?

Yeah, I was over there last week and saw that, too. I think they're giving tickets for the UM, FSU and BGSU games, along with a couple of assorted bouncyball games.
                      66 - 86 - 07

Comment

I had a longrant typed out yesterday but I deided to not submit it, as itmayhave beento harsh considering our still relatively strong standing in the CCHA and NCAA tournament picture.

However, I was very unhappy with the results from this past weekend. I think the leaders on this team need to step up ala Chris Lawrence 2007...if they are not going to perform on the ice, the least they can do is do something to kick the guys in the rear off of it.

Anything less than 6 points against OSU this weekend will be a major dissappointment and raise serious questions in my mind about the rest of this season. We need to sweep to keep pace with our CCHA/NCAA aspirations.
                        MICHIGAN STATE
                        1966:1986:2007

Comment

Last weekend's series was perhaps the worst this season. The play on Friday was absolutely disgraceful, and, in blotches, it wasn't much better back at Munn on Saturday.

We have, I think, ten games where we can erase most of the damage from the prior weekend. We need to finish strong - I could see three or four losses putting us on the outside looking in.

It starts this weekend. We must sweep OSU.
                          66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                            I had a longrant typed out yesterday but I deided to not submit it, as itmayhave beento harsh considering our still relatively strong standing in the CCHA and NCAA tournament picture.

However, I was very unhappy with the results from this past weekend. I think the leaders on this team need to step up ala Chris Lawrence 2007...if they are not going to perform on the ice, the least they can do is do something to kick the guys in the rear off of it.

Anything less than 6 points against OSU this weekend will be a major dissappointment and raise serious questions in my mind about the rest of this season. We need to sweep to keep pace with our CCHA/NCAA aspirations.

Whoa i think you are hitting the panic button far too early. We may have turned in a forgettable performance friday but other than that and our poor penalty killing saturday, I haven't seen any reason to think we have regressed or have any issues we haven't already known about. Also, Ohio State isn't going to be a pushover by any means so not sweeping will be a hit to our CCHA/NCAA hopes but it won't mean that this team isn't bringing it anymore or is lacking leadership. With the season we have had so far, I think people are already forgetting about last season and the fact that we are mostly underclassmen this year and were supposed to finish like 9th or something.

We are a pretty good, young team that has been remarkably consistent but i honestly don't think that this is Comley's best team. I think next year has the potential to be one of the best Spartan teams we have seen in a while.

Also, i feel like Notre Dame is just a team that we don't match up well with. Our two series with them were perhaps our most disappointing in terms of expectations/results and it might the two playings styles or whatever but we will be ok.
                            Last edited by Pirateasaurus; 01-19-2010, 01:36 PM.

Comment

So, we're getting a new logo...

*****http://media.mlive.com/ganggreen/photo/split-old-new-spartans-logojpg-1a7f7547c5b08dd0_large.jpg******

... and it sucks!

Link to M-live is here.
                              66 - 86 - 07

Comment

With that nose, it looks like Sparty got jumped by Glenn Winston and his band of marauders.
                                Originally posted by dicaslover
                                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X