Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Economics of college hockey and banking on rivalries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economics of college hockey and banking on rivalries.

Goon's latest addition to IC is an interesting article about rivalries in College hockey and how it impacts (economically) schools.

College hockey is built on tradition and driven by storied rivalries; these are the game(s) that college hockey fans mark on their calendar and look forward to. These games are also the ones that college hockey programs count on to make their most money. These rival games are also the ones that college hockey programs charge the most money, its these division hockey programs meal tickets that can make or break the bottom line for athletic department. So naturally college athletic departments are going to bank on these rivalries and charge accordingly.

For example; if you were going to walk up the arena box office at my favorite school UND, Ralph Engelstad Arena would charge you more money for the premiere match ups than the not so premiere match ups. I digress; for example if you lucky enough to get a chance to buy tickets to Sioux Vs Gophers series (They sell out in like 10 minutes) they would cost you $45.00 a piece. Next in the ticket price progression; if you were to buy tickets for Pioneers Vs Sioux and or Badgers Vs Sioux they would run you $40.00 a piece. I believe that the University of North Dakota could charge $45.00 for both of these series as well and sell out. Shhhh! Please don’t tell the arena box office.

On the flip side of that you only pay $25.00 to watch a proverbial doormat team like UAA, Merrimack or MTU. Granted in some cases the arena will be just as full but it cost you less to sit in the same seat. Don’t worry though the concessions are going to be the same price for either series, and yes it will cost you an arm and a leg regardless. That’s another story for another day.
    For the complete article, click here.

Which is your favorite college rivalry?

Re: Economics of college hockey and banking on rivalries.

D @mn, I thought BU was ripping me off by charging a couple of bucks extra for BC and UNH. A 20 buck difference depending on the opponent???

Instead of screwing season ticket holders I'd like it if they charged you a flat rate per game and then hit the walk up crowd with a higher price. Sorta reward the loyal fans who take the time to sign up before the season starts.

Having said that BU-BC, BU-UNH are a lot of fun. BU-Maine used to be, but as I've realized now it just isn't the same if one team (Maine in this case) is in the toilet and will be for the foreseeable future.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Holding to some sort of tradition, BC plays at home the day after Thanksgiving each year (or the recent few, anyway). The games are priced very affordably because no one is on campus. This year Clarkson provides the opposition.
      Chris V
      Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        D @mn, I thought BU was ripping me off by charging a couple of bucks extra for BC and UNH. A 20 buck difference depending on the opponent???

Instead of screwing season ticket holders I'd like it if they charged you a flat rate per game and then hit the walk up crowd with a higher price. Sorta reward the loyal fans who take the time to sign up before the season starts.
        It's the old supply and demand argument creeping up.

Obviously tickets to the BC or UNH contests are going to be in higher demand that Merrimack or Sacred Heart. Unfortunately, they can't just magically add more seats to accommodate. So, prices must increase to reach the equilibrium point.

This has the added benefit of undercutting the secondary market, insuring that at least *more* of the "true" ticket price goes to the athletics department.

Of course, this only works if you routinely sell out your arena (or at least come close). tOSU might get away with setting a premium price for UMich, but I doubt it, and they have no chance against any other opponent. My alma mater (UAH) actually tried this my last year there and it affected attendance exactly zero (in a usually half-full or less building). Not sure if they've gone there since.
        UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
        2006 Time Person of the Year
        Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
        It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

This is the wellest written article I've ever read.
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
          X