Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 Clarkson hockey players face sex charges

Originally posted by Henry View Post
    If nothing else the school has a problem or whoever was responsible for the camp. When you send a child to school or a camp it is with the expectation that they will operate "in parens patriae"that is they will act as a parent would. If she had contact with a fellow camper that would be different, however, the people who run the camp are supposed to care for and protect the campers, not allegedly exploit them for sexual purposes. That is if they are in fact guilty, they are innocent until PROVEN guilty. Also the burden of proof is much lower in a civil case, it may take a while to sort this all out and until then we can all only speculate. If the charges are true they are despicable but most of us are apt to make knee jerk reactions in cases like this, that's why responsible prosecutors go slowly and get all the facts before forging ahead in a case like this. Just look at the recent Patrick Kane situation the press initially made him sound like John Dillinger when in the end he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct which wa not even a crime.
    The school has a problem since its going to be a financial burden on the institution... i hardly think this implies a systemic problem for the campus.

Regardless, the players shouldn't be involving themselves with their students/campers regardless of age. Its just plain flat-out unprofessional and as we see here an obvious liability.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Did I miss Billy Tibbetts getting hired as an assistant at Clarkson? This sort of stuff isn't supposed to happen in the ECAC...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Does anyone NOT see a civil suit irregardless of the criminal case?
        Exactly which institution of higher learning led you to believe irregardless was a word?

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
          So while everyone is waiting for a "guilty" or "not guilty" verdict for the players, a potential civil settlement might seal the players fate. If Clarkson feels the case has merit, the girl's family could settle for a smaller sum with the stipulation that the players be kicked out of school or Clarkson might just throw the players under the bus. For instance, did players violate the school's alcohol policy on the night in question (if alcohol was involved)?
          Great observation of a possible outcome. However, I would not expect any civil lawsuit, whether against the players, Clarkson or both to be resolved in advance of the criminal cases. The reason is that the players will invoke their 5th amendment right to not incriminate themselves and, therefore, civil depositions (or a trial) prior to resolution of the criminal case will not aid in discovery or help the university (or its insurance defense counsel) learn all the facts before making its ultimate decision whether a settlement makes sense. More likely, the parties will wait until the criminal case is over so they can conduct discovery and depose the players and actually get answers to their questions.

Additionally, the girl will want information from the prosecutor's files to use in the civil case, and the chance of obtaining those files while the criminal case is still pending is slim to none.
          GO SAINTS!

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            Absolutely agree - anyone out there with experience in the NY justice system who has any insight on how long until we might know something?
            I practice in the Capital area, but if the north country is similar, this case could be resolved relatively quickly, meaning a few months or less, unless the defendants elect to go to trial. As I understand these are "only" misdemeanor charges that they are facing.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazierEddie View Post
              Morris absolutely deserved to be fired for the Schwan "incident" ...
              You find me one player who was on the ice that day (other than Schwan) who thinks that and I'll give you $50. I don't care to rehash ever minute detail of that case. I believe it was a gross over-reaction by the admin., you don't. We'll agree to disagree.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by frmbostn View Post
                Exactly which institution of higher learning led you to believe irregardless was a word?
                That'd be CCT of course !
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Cap Carey, the WDT beat writer for Clarkson, has an article today with about as much info on the story (and Coach Roll) as it's possible to get, so you guys might wanna check it out: http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...39956/0/SPORTS

Comment

Originally posted by apple2k View Post
                    an article today with about as much info on the story (and Coach Roll) as it's possible to get
                    Not much in the way of optimism from Coach Roll.
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2023 National Champions
                    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                    Northeast Regional:
                    West Regional: 2015, 2021
                    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Re: 2 Clarkson hockey players face sex charges

Originally posted by apple2k View Post
                      Cap Carey, the WDT beat writer for Clarkson, has an article today with about as much info on the story (and Coach Roll) as it's possible to get, so you guys might wanna check it out: http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...39956/0/SPORTS
                      Cap Carey is clearly covering up for those underage she-devils!

/MNS

EDIT: Red dots from MNS means I'm barking up the right tree...
                      Last edited by Red Cloud; 09-14-2009, 02:59 PM.
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

More reading material about the future court date.......

http://media.www.clarksonintegrator....-3771091.shtml
                        LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Now what do people say:

Originally posted by ClarksonIntergrator
                          "Three hockey recruits were charged with having sexual misconduct with and endangering the welfare of a child. The incident allegedly took place with a 16-year-old female camp attendee with her consent at Clarkson's summer hockey camp on campus in July, as the camper was 16, she was not legally able to consent to sexual acts. According to NY state law, if a defendant is convicted on a sexual misconduct charge they must register as a sex offender, could serve up to a year in jail, and can be fined."
                          I will still put money on it that mommy and daddy found out and didn't like it. I also love how the school says:

Originally posted by KellyChezum
                          "All students are treated the same in this process with no preferential treatment for any team member or group of students on campus"
                          I can almost guarantee this will work in reverse order. Because these students ARE athletes they will be removed from school because of a black eye, even though this happens in today’s society almost as a norm these days. Right or wrong, its reality these days unless your in the “not my little girl/boy” dream world. Like I said to start, if this doesn’t have “PuckBunnie” written all over it, I’m not sure what does.
                          Remy Babineaux
                          remyb616@gmail.com
                          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

WITH HER CONSENT?

Wait, she's 16, she can't legally give consent. Glossy.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                              WITH HER CONSENT?

Wait, she's 16, she can't legally give consent. Glossy.
                              Yes, its the polically correct way of saying she wanted it, but mommy and daddy didnt like the fact their little girl is exploring her sexuality, but they will like the chunk of change they get and the satisfaction of ruining three kids lives.
                              Remy Babineaux
                              remyb616@gmail.com
                              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                                Yes, its the polically correct way of saying she wanted it, but mommy and daddy didnt like the fact their little girl is exploring her sexuality, but they will like the chunk of change they get and the satisfaction of ruining three kids lives.
                                Maybe, in fact, probably. Law is still the law though.
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X