Icers to Play in NCAA D-III Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icers to Play in NCAA D-III Tournament

The Penn State Icers have added a NCAA D3 Tournament to their 2009-10 schedule. The venue this year is Hooksett, NH as they will face the Penmen of Southern New Hampshire on Saturday, November 28th, and either UMass Boston or Stonehill on Sunday afternoon.

Last season, the Icers took part in the Salem State Classic Tournament, losing 2-1 to Salem State before pounding Salve Regina 8-0 in the consolation game.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Re: Icers to Play in NCAA D-III Tournament

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    The Penn State Icers have added a NCAA D3 Tournament to their 2009-10 schedule. The venue this year is Hooksett, NH as they will face the Penmen of Southern New Hampshire on Saturday, November 28th, and either UMass Boston or Stonehill on Sunday afternoon.

Last season, the Icers took part in the Salem State Classic Tournament, losing 2-1 to Salem State before pounding Salve Regina 8-0 in the consolation game.
    Wow nice! An hour's drive is reasonable to finally check out some Penn State hockey.

The Icers (why aren't they the Nittany Lions, anyway?) will probably have their hands full with SNHU and then breeze through Sunday's game. It's a winnable tourney though I think. Not, I think, so much as I'm totally guessing, hehe - I know nothing about DIII hockey.

I know it's not Joe Pa coaching the team, but how many Penn Staters will realistically be making the trip?

Hooksett is basically Manchester so that's the place you wanna do internet searches on things for filling up your time when they aren't playing.

If you wanna stick around for the Steelers game Sunday night, I'd recommend JW Hill's or Jillian's on the south end of town, they're both within walking distance of each other. Jillian's is more of a Dave and Buster's type place, while JW's is more of an upscale sports bar with far better food than Jillian's (no pool tables though, I don't think). Further up Elm, Margarita's also has a great atmosphere for watching football - the food's good, as long as you don't expect anything approaching authentic Mexican.

http://www.jwhills.com
    http://jilliansbilliards.com
    www.margs.com

And for poker hounds like myself, there's Sharky's on the West side (bingo next door too). It's kinda seedy, but then most NH poker rooms are. I also just learned that the Yee Dynasty on South Willow has free games on Sunday as part of the World Tavern Poker League circuit, whatever that is. You can also google Derryfield Country Club, I know they run games sometimes.

http://nh.craigslist.org/act/1309393821.html <----- Yee info
    ... and the Sharky's site seems to have gone down in the past 3 days, weird
    http://www.pokernews.com/news/2007/1...chester-nh.htm
    PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Comment

Once again, the team that "Can hang with D-I teams" according to someone who will remain nameless fails to face competition that could back up the claims.

Comment

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post
        Wow nice! An hour's drive is reasonable to finally check out some Penn State hockey.

The Icers (why aren't they the Nittany Lions, anyway?) will probably have their hands full with SNHU and then breeze through Sunday's game. It's a winnable tourney though I think. Not, I think, so much as I'm totally guessing, hehe - I know nothing about DIII hockey.

I know it's not Joe Pa coaching the team, but how many Penn Staters will realistically be making the trip?

Hooksett is basically Manchester so that's the place you wanna do internet searches on things for filling up your time when they aren't playing.

If you wanna stick around for the Steelers game Sunday night, I'd recommend JW Hill's or Jillian's on the south end of town, they're both within walking distance of each other. Jillian's is more of a Dave and Buster's type place, while JW's is more of an upscale sports bar with far better food than Jillian's (no pool tables though, I don't think). Further up Elm, Margarita's also has a great atmosphere for watching football - the food's good, as long as you don't expect anything approaching authentic Mexican.

http://www.jwhills.com
        http://jilliansbilliards.com
        www.margs.com

And for poker hounds like myself, there's Sharky's on the West side (bingo next door too). It's kinda seedy, but then most NH poker rooms are. I also just learned that the Yee Dynasty on South Willow has free games on Sunday as part of the World Tavern Poker League circuit, whatever that is. You can also google Derryfield Country Club, I know they run games sometimes.

http://nh.craigslist.org/act/1309393821.html <----- Yee info
        ... and the Sharky's site seems to have gone down in the past 3 days, weird
        http://www.pokernews.com/news/2007/1...chester-nh.htm
        PSU's contingent @ the Salem State Classic was pretty good (~100??).

If they play they way they did against SSC, they'll win the semi, but lose to UMB in the finals.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post
          why aren't they the Nittany Lions, anyway?
          One of two reasons:

1) The school prohibits club sports from using the "Nittany Lions" mascot/name.

2) It's a situation comparable to the Long Beach State baseball teams (referred to as the "Dirtbags" rather than the 49ers).

Being unfamiliar with the situation, I would lean towards 2.
          UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
          2006 Time Person of the Year
          Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
          It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

why aren't they the Nittany Lions, anyway?
            Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
            One of two reasons:

1) The school prohibits club sports from using the "Nittany Lions" mascot/name.

2) It's a situation comparable to the Long Beach State baseball teams (referred to as the "Dirtbags" rather than the 49ers).

Being unfamiliar with the situation, I would lean towards 2.
            Actually, they are the officially the Nittany Lion Icers. The athletic department is fully supportive of the team and does not prohibit the use of the school logo or the name.

The term Icers came to be used when the team reformed in the 70s. Apparently someone coined the term in a similar way that basketball teams are colloquially called "hoopsters."
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

I, for one, would not be the least bit surprised to see Penn State win this tournament. The other three teams, SNH, UMass-Boston, and Stonehill are all in the bottom 1/3 (possibly the bottom 10%) of Division 3. SNH and Stonehill are slightly sub-.500 team in the ECAC NE, which is far and away the weak sister of D3. Combined those two teams have won just 3 non-conference games in the past three years (two of those games came against fellow "D2" team St. Mike's) and the haven't played any teams that would qualify as middle to top-end D3 programs (who knows if that is by choice or by force). And Mass-Boston is historically a doormat in the ECAC East, although the last two years have been significantly better, they've still been below .500. Given the PSU performance against SSC last year, which is a middle of the pack D3 team (toss out the Salve game, they're the absolute dregs of D3) then it would appear they have a legit shot. Especially when one considers that there has always been a pretty significant drop off from the middle of the D3 pack to that bottom 1/3.
              Last edited by shooter27; 09-04-2009, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                Actually, they are the officially the Nittany Lion Icers. The athletic department is fully supportive of the team and does not prohibit the use of the school logo or the name.

The term Icers came to be used when the team reformed in the 70s. Apparently someone coined the term in a similar way that basketball teams are colloquially called "hoopsters."
                So my lean towards 2 was appropriate.

Mike Anderson

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  PSU's contingent @ the Salem State Classic was pretty good (~100??).

If they play they way they did against SSC, they'll win the semi, but lose to UMB in the finals.
                  I'm guessing if 100 Penn Staters made the trip, you'd probably have at least as big of a fan base as SNHU, probably bigger. Their student body is only in the 1000-1500 range and the arena they use is probably around 5 miles from campus. Even if the school had shuttles to bus the students over, I'm guessing their turnout wouldn't even be 100.
                  PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Comment

A kid I coached in high school made PSUs DI team. They are carrying 6 lines of forwards, 9 defense, and 3 goalies.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                      A kid I coached in high school made PSUs DI team. They are carrying 6 lines of forwards, 9 defense, and 3 goalies.
                      Where did he play juniors??
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If I had to guess, the USHL. He probably turned down schollies to all the IVY league schools, Minnesota, Denver, and NoDak to play at Penn State.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazierEddie View Post
                          If I had to guess, the USHL. He probably turned down schollies to all the IVY league schools, Minnesota, Denver, and NoDak to play at Penn State.
                          The Ivies started giving out schollies? When did this happen?

Mike Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                            The Ivies started giving out schollies? When did this happen?
                            That was sarcasm, relating to the poster that stated how "Penn State has several players who turned down scholarships to Ivy league schools."

Comment

Thats the thing. He didnt. Midget

Comment

Working...
                              X