Television Availability for Southern California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television Availability for Southern California

I live in San Diego, and I rarely get the chance to see my favorite team (UMD Bulldogs) play live. I'll take what I can get as far as college hockey goes and I would gladly buy whatever sports package it takes to get my fix.

I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but can anyone point me in the right direction as to who I need to pay to get my hockey addiction satisfied this year?

I appreciate the help.

Re: Television Availability for Southern California

Originally posted by vedenalla View Post
    I live in San Diego, and I rarely get the chance to see my favorite team (UMD Bulldogs) play live. I'll take what I can get as far as college hockey goes and I would gladly buy whatever sports package it takes to get my fix.

I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but can anyone point me in the right direction as to who I need to pay to get my hockey addiction satisfied this year?

I appreciate the help.

Not sure if you have cable or satalite, but you can get the sports package on either and depending on your service you will get fox sports channels and they carry a lot of college hockey. You can also go to cbscollegesports.com formally CSTV and subscribed to your teams online package which is like $7 bucks a month and you can watch all of their games online usually, might just be home games but you can get something atleast. Those are some options im aware of but maybe others have other ideas.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

I appreciate the help.
      UMD home games are aired locally in the Duluth area on Charter Communications only. They're no longer aired on WDIO. They are also sometimes aired on Comcast's local channel in Minnesota. I don't believe their games are put up on a satillite. You can get Fox Sports North which will televise the Minnesota-UMD games though. Not sure if UMD does the internet thing with B2 Networks.

Comment

Am I correct in assuming that some of the "larger" market teams such as Minnesota and North Dakota are still broadcasting on cable/satellite? That may be the only option I end up with...watching my team when we play those teams.

Comment

Am I correct in assuming that some of the "larger" market teams such as Minnesota and North Dakota are still broadcasting on cable/satellite? That may be the only option I end up with...watching my team when we play those teams.
          I think North Dakota is the same as UMD. Minnesota has almost all of their games on Fox Sports North. I forgot about Denver, they're on Fox Sports Rocky Mountain. Michigan is on Fox Sports Detroit often. CSTV picked up a number of Notre Dame games. NHL Network picked up a number of Friday night games. Often ECAC and CCHA games you wouldn't normally be able to see. I think they also picked up a SCSU/UMD game last year as well. I'm not about the east coast schools on who televises them. It may be NESN. I would say the majority of college hockey games are televised locally or regionally and aren't widely available. Last season was probably the best for television distribution though.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
            I'm not about the east coast schools on who televises them. It may be NESN. I would say the majority of college hockey games are televised locally or regionally and aren't widely available. Last season was probably the best for television distribution though.
            NESN covers HE games every Friday night starting the first week of January. There used to be some HE games on CN8 on Saturday nights as well, but CN8 folded, so unless a new TV deal comes up, NESN's the only consistent coverage HE will get this year.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I appreciate the help.
              You should be able to watch almost every WCHA game on the computer on a pay per view basis.

Dish Network & DirecTV are the best for catching UMD vs. DU & MN.

Comment

I think North Dakota is the same as UMD.
                The Fighting Sioux Sports Network is available on K-band satellite, which shows all home games. Note: This is not DirecTV or Dish Network.

Coordinates for 09-10
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

UMD has a B2 network link on their hockey website. Nothing looks scheduled at the moment but it is probably too early.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/teams-mens-hockey.php

Virtually all of the DU games can be seen on TV on FSN RM and Fox College Sports. Those not televised can be seen online on Pioneer Vision. The general rule of thumb for DU is a lot of the fall games are online during football season and when football is over a lot of the games originate on FSN RM and are picked up by Fox College Sports. Fox College Sporst generally televises the regional feed of DU, MN and some Wisconsin games. They also broadcast some CCHA games each weekend. FCS is available on most cable and stalellite systems. As someone else mentioned earlier the NHL Network in the U.S. televised games on Friday nights throughout the season. I don't think CBS College Sports televises many games anymore after CBS bought CSTV. Also the Big Ten Network will show games involving the Big 10 schools.
                  Last edited by du78; 08-31-2009, 10:06 AM.
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

As far as TV's concerned, look for a sports package with, at the very least, Fox College Sports (and preferably, CBS College Sports).
                    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                    66 - 86 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

CBS College sports was Hockey Night in South Bend for a good portion of the second half of the season. Most on Friday nights....

Comment

The UMD webcasts can be found at the following URL:

http://www.b2tv.com/partner_members.asp?id=25

In addition, if you miss a game it will be available by selecting on the "On Demand" tab on top of the page.

Comment

CBS College sports was Hockey Night in South Bend for a good portion of the second half of the season. Most on Friday nights....
                          More accurately, the ND Hockey Network, as they also picked up Irish away games at OSU and UNO.
                          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

I appreciate the help.
                            I also live in San Diego. If you have satellite TV and get the regional sports package you get quite a few FSN games, so you'll get the FSN-North Gopher Games when they play UMD as well as I think one set of UMD games or SCSU games for FSN-North when the Gophers are off.

If UMD has an online feed package, buy that.

You can also have digital cable and buy a similar package to satellite. But you don't get the Fox Sports Alternates where you can sometimes find more college hockey.

HE is hard to find but we are contemplating moving to Satellite to have NESN.

There are numerous bars that will show college hockey, one in Clairemont Mesa that is Boston themed.

If you want to grab a beer and talk hockey let me know. If you're new to San Diego I can tell you what to see and what to do.
                            Last edited by Terrierbyassociation; 08-30-2009, 10:10 PM.
                            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Try channelsurfing.net or justin.tv, sometimes live feeds pop-up there, otherwise id go for a sports bar like TBA suggested or sports package - at the least most sports packages should pickup nesn which has weekly HE games, and likely will have Fox Sports Net which should give you a bunch of western games.
                              time to write new history

Comment

Working...
                              X