The official MCH'AQ' season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The official MCH'AQ' season thread

Concordia is going through the try out process right now. Coach told the guys at the opening meeting , all spots are up for grabs. Seeing that there is about 50 new faces at captains practices(some are recruits , some are walk ons) they should be able to improve their performance over last years team. Being a third year program they most likely will be schooled by River Falls,but the question is how close can Concordia keep it ?

Comment

Originally posted by byrdgas View Post
      Concordia is going through the try out process right now. Coach told the guys at the opening meeting , all spots are up for grabs. Seeing that there is about 50 new faces at captains practices(some are recruits , some are walk ons) they should be able to improve their performance over last years team. Being a third year program they most likely will be schooled by River Falls,but the question is how close can Concordia keep it ?
      Wow, that sounds like a lot of new players for a school Concordia's size. I too am sure that they will be better this season. I won't be surprised if they take a couple off of the mid-tier MCHA teams (everyone south of Adrian and north of Northland in the standings). I really wish Concordia hadn't scheduled Finlandia four times. True non-conference games would have been much more interesting and would be much more telling of the overall progress of the MCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFC View Post
        Wow, that sounds like a lot of new players for a school Concordia's size. I too am sure that they will be better this season. I won't be surprised if they take a couple off of the mid-tier MCHA teams (everyone south of Adrian and north of Northland in the standings). I really wish Concordia hadn't scheduled Finlandia four times. True non-conference games would have been much more interesting and would be much more telling of the overall progress of the MCHA.
        Sorry , let me qualify my statement. 50 new faces for me,but my son said their are 30 new guys trying out. That figure was as of the coaches meeting with the players. As far as going outside the conference , I think Tony might be figuring you have to "learn how to walk before you can run". It maybe the age of the program that drove that decision.
        Last edited by byrdgas; 10-16-2009, 02:30 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Comment

Just popping in to say that MSOE's final roster is supposed to be in at the beginning of the week (and will most likely be posted shortly after), at which point practices should give a better view of how the team will actually look this season (barring stuff like how somebody always quits after about four games, but who knows why that happens).

Also, every returner I've had a chance to talk to (including a couple who took time off last year), as well as the coach, has expressed a strong optimism in our chances this season. If we can keep everyone healthy this year, and keep that positive attitude through the tough times, I foresee our emergence as a Force With Which To Be Reckoned this season.

Be ready.
          Sarah

#1 fan and friend of the MSOE hockey team; fan of MSOE basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball and soccer; friend to all MSOE athletes
          Lover of sports in general
          Maintainer of MSOE Hockey Fans, MSOE Basketball Fans, and MSOE Volleyball Fans
          Typer of various MSOE sports-related stuff
          MSOE Fan of the Year 2008-2009 (yes, really)

MSOE = sexiest team in the MCHA (and quite possibly in the country)

Comment

Originally posted by startrekempress View Post
            Just popping in to say that MSOE's final roster is supposed to be in at the beginning of the week (and will most likely be posted shortly after), at which point practices should give a better view of how the team will actually look this season (barring stuff like how somebody always quits after about four games, but who knows why that happens).

Also, every returner I've had a chance to talk to (including a couple who took time off last year), as well as the coach, has expressed a strong optimism in our chances this season. If we can keep everyone healthy this year, and keep that positive attitude through the tough times, I foresee our emergence as a Force With Which To Be Reckoned this season.

Be ready.
            I've been hearing that the incoming class is VERY deep this year at all 3 positions... which kind of goes along with what some of the more knowledgeable people around here have been saying - MSOE recruits seem to fly under the radar and sneak up seemingly out of nowhere.

It should be interesting once the roster is posted. I'm very curious to see myself. I've seen a couple of names, but I want to see for my own self on an official roster.

Comment

The recruits look sharp and they seem to be very deep at all three positions.

The hitting picked up and it looks like there are alot of solid guys coming in and the Vets look pretty good as well.

I spent most of the time checking out the goaltending. Toomey looks good in there. Keller looks great. Those 2 have been shutting the door in the scrimages from what i've seen. They have been pretty dominant. Might be a two headed monster in goal for MSOE this year.

King and Soik are looking pretty quick out there as well. Lot of speed up front, and looks like they added some more size on the blueline. There's a guy out there the size of Ben Plocar, so we're talking 6'4 ish.

Red and White scrimage this upcomming friday I think, should be fun.

More to come sometime this week.

Comment

MSOE's final roster is up now (the link is in the "ROSTERS" thread, and I'm too lazy to repost it ) along with player bios and photos for anyone who actually looks at them. I'm reserving further judgment until I meet/watch them (and here's hoping that I'll be able to remember all of their names and numbers before the season starts. Thirteen freshmen is a lot!)
                Sarah

#1 fan and friend of the MSOE hockey team; fan of MSOE basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball and soccer; friend to all MSOE athletes
                Lover of sports in general
                Maintainer of MSOE Hockey Fans, MSOE Basketball Fans, and MSOE Volleyball Fans
                Typer of various MSOE sports-related stuff
                MSOE Fan of the Year 2008-2009 (yes, really)

MSOE = sexiest team in the MCHA (and quite possibly in the country)

Comment

Originally posted by startrekempress View Post
                  MSOE's final roster is up now (the link is in the "ROSTERS" thread, and I'm too lazy to repost it ) along with player bios and photos for anyone who actually looks at them. I'm reserving further judgment until I meet/watch them (and here's hoping that I'll be able to remember all of their names and numbers before the season starts. Thirteen freshmen is a lot!)
                  I can see why MSOE fans would feel optimistic about the season. There are certainly going to be a lot of new faces across the league this season. Then again, I think MCHA schools were probably easier to sell with the AQ.

Comment

I'm just curious...what's the deal with Crookston? It seems that they don't have a team, but they're still in the uscho standings and there are a couple of references to hockey on UMC's athletic website, but there doesn't seem to be a team page or schedule. Does hockey exist there, if not, are there any plans to resurrect it?
                    SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                    UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                    Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                    Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                    UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                    UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                      I'm just curious...what's the deal with Crookston? It seems that they don't have a team, but they're still in the uscho standings and there are a couple of references to hockey on UMC's athletic website, but there doesn't seem to be a team page or schedule. Does hockey exist there, if not, are there any plans to resurrect it?
                      They're no longer in the MCHA... their program I believe has been dissolved as well, though they might have resurrected it in a different form.

Comment

Originally posted by joeyc3402 View Post
                        They're no longer in the MCHA... their program I believe has been dissolved as well, though they might have resurrected it in a different form.
                        Yes the have a club team now.

Comment

Marian does a nice job representing the MCHA with a win on the road over Eau Claire.

MSOE's victory was a little more predictable.

Comment

That was a good effort by Marian, especially considering that they played seven freshmen. If nothing, it makes next weekend a little more interesting.

Comment

Hey, so the MCHA goes 2-1 this week against the NCHA. That must be a first (even if it is UWEC).

Comment

Originally posted by AVFC View Post
                                Hey, so the MCHA goes 2-1 this week against the NCHA. That must be a first (even if it is UWEC).
                                Eau Claire aren't the doormats of the NCHA are they ?

Comment

Working...
                                X