This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2009-2010

Back in the day.....We would get 3000 for Cornell and Harvard and sometimes Clarkson. Honestly ! I remember in 1990...against Harvard...when Gagnon got hit in the mask and was out for two periods getting his face stitched up, the PA guy bellowed that if you left between periods, "You may not get back inside" and that was with a ticket !!

Starr held 2800 until 1991 and 2000 was a "poor crowd". It was loud and the students(and us) were very crazy. A pint of McGillicutty's was in my pocket at most games.

Wayyy back in the day...around 1965...we beat Army in OT and the students tore down the chickenwire that surrounded the rink preglass days. I remember the students hopping over the glass onto the ice after some games especially Harvard and Cornell. I could go on forever....if only !!
    Why thank you colskate !!
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by CU13 View Post
      the Roach Approach has turned a lot of people off.
      You might be on to something here. Is anyone impressed by this guy? I can't believe he was the best choice for AD.

Originally posted by CU13 View Post
      I sometimes choose to watch the game on TimeWarner, and I live in Hamilton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Maybe a lot of local folks are doing the same...

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        Back in the day.....We would get 3000 for Cornell and Harvard and sometimes Clarkson. Honestly ! I remember in 1990...against Harvard...when Gagnon got hit in the mask and was out for two periods getting his face stitched up, the PA guy bellowed that if you left between periods, "You may not get back inside" and that was with a ticket !!

Starr held 2800 until 1991 and 2000 was a "poor crowd". It was loud and the students(and us) were very crazy. A pint of McGillicutty's was in my pocket at most games.

Wayyy back in the day...around 1965...we beat Army in OT and the students tore down the chickenwire that surrounded the rink preglass days. I remember the students hopping over the glass onto the ice after some games especially Harvard and Cornell. I could go on forever....if only !!
        Why thank you colskate !!

"Wayy back in the day...around 1965.." - wait a minute Shabby..am I that old?? Yes. some alcohol leaked into the rink, but for me it was more like a Genny beer.. There were no ushers then; I used to watch the games right behind the wire mesh in back of the north goal. Now you can't stand there anymore. Saturday night games were packed, especially on the student side.

I remember one time I was up where the press box is now (where GR does his broadcasts) and used my camera to take pictures during the Clarkson game. In fact a number of us packed a car -- spur of the moment -- and drove up to Potsdam for the Clarkson game in a blizzard. We made it just in time to enjoy a win in their frigid rink.

Clark Torrell, Fred von Zuben, Dick Johnson, Mike Jukoski, Steve Riggs, Mike Foley, Terry Connolly, John McGonigle, and Bobby Meehan were great players of that era, and under Coach Kollevol really put 'Gate on the hockey map. Those were the days! But I digress....'Gate hockey history is something that should be celebrated.

Sorry for the reminisences, but that's what we old afrts do...
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Don't forget Spadafora and Ralph Kelly Larry Gru etc. Donnie Wilmot was my main man !
          Last edited by sshablak; 03-03-2010, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
            Yes. some alcohol leaked into the rink, but for me it was more like a Genny beer..
            I remember when you could get a beer in the Silver Puck lounge between periods - back in the '80s. When they shut that down we had a tailgate in the parking lot behind the rear entrance. I miss those days.

I don't go quite as far back. The earliest players I remember are Geoff McMullin in goal, Dave Desmond, and Ron Carrigan. Ron Ryan was the coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
              I remember when you could get a beer in the Silver Puck lounge between periods - back in the '80s. When they shut that down we had a tailgate in the parking lot behind the rear entrance. I miss those days.

I don't go quite as far back. The earliest players I remember are Geoff McMullin in goal, Dave Desmond, and Ron Carrigan. Ron Ryan was the coach.
              Now there is a great idea. Bring back the Siver Puck Lounge. Can you imagine if each supporter, Paid $50.00 a year to be a member, and then a portion of the food and beverage went to Silver Puck, over the course of the year, you could add a fair amount to the Silver Puck Coffers.

Comment

you guys are all showing your age and I remember those days fondly...unfortunately we live in an age of "not in your face" and for some perverse reason getting on an opposing goaltender for 40 minutes/game is somehow frowned upon. History, tradition and loyalty are components of our culture that are now to be criticized, where we are supposed to apologize for supporting our classmates, our friends...my generation has to take a hit on this one; it's sad to realize that competition has to be dumbed down to behavioral codes and "set" behavior. I always knew that the loss of Mark Murphy would be a big blow to the athletic program. Don V (to his credit) took a bullet and was acting AD for one year. I don't want to totally focus my angst against AD Roach, but you'd like to see more Fred Dunlap or Donny Vaughan in his approach to winning than simply ensuring that students "behave" in a manner consistent with the PC masters. God knows, I've tried with my nephew (my daughter and niece went to Duke and they are totally into hoops there). Somehow someone (our new president???) should challenge the undergrads to demonstrate some collective values that we all share: loyalty, tradition, competition in its best sense...At some point I would hope these kids realize that these values override the degree of hydrohardons in the atmosphere and the (lack of) ability of us mere humans to do anything about it...let's get real...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                  At some point I would hope these kids realize that these values override the degree of hydrohardons in the atmosphere and the (lack of) ability of us mere humans to do anything about it...let's get real...

Hey Greencoat - maybe we were separated at birth!

Probably those Colgate students majoring in Peace and Conflict studies don't go to hockey games because, after all, there's so much conflict and lack of peace among the players.

Colgate actually has a major in Peace and Conflict studies, can you believe that? Makes you want to barf.

Comment

hurling

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      Don't forget Spadafora and Ralph Kelly Larry Gru etc. Donnie Wilmot was my main man !
                      No, could never forget Spad. Wilmot was great, and Kurt Brown & Casey Knobel in the nets also stood out. Brian Edgerly had a lot of grit as well.

Greencoat - I am simpatico with you & Magoo on this subject. But there will never be three hour games, beer in the stands, fights among the players, blood on the ice, and insults hurled at the opposition goalie for 60 minutes in our lifetime. Unfortunately those days are over.

The most we can hope for is that attendance improves among the students & locals if we string together a few good seasons. Of course students sitting on their hands does little good...
                      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Only 25 hours to get your picks into the ECAC Pick The Playoffs. Remember, 7PM on Friday is the deadline. We have 61 contestants so far, 32 shy of last years total.
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

ColSkate65: certainly agree...and that's not all bad, although (and I think most everyone would agree) a little more passion, a little more loyalty, in general a little more intensity would be great. I remember the 2000 NCAA game against Michigan (I'm still bitter and rightfully so)...great student turnout, great game (that we really won)...maybe the beginning of a decade has some magic: 1970 (good season; screwed by ECAC Committee, probably influenced by Harkness, as SLU got #8 seed and not 'Gate despite the fact that we had a better ECAC record and beat Michigan Tech 9-4 in Chirstmas Tourney; for you younger folks we finished the season 14-7-3 and SLU was 11-14-0); 1980: make playoffs for FIRST time since 1970 - even as Billy McCreary "leaves" the 'Gate in midseason - as Terry's boys start to make their mark; 1990: 31-6-1 and #2 in country, lose to Wisconsin in finals because of my hernia going haywire after 3-2 win over BU in semis; 2000: the joy of Andy McDonald and the rest of the gang (disappointed in Red Berenson never giving us much credit for coming from a 3-0 deficit and actually WINNING in ot); 2010: despite being a cynical old fart I would love Don V to complement his regular season titles with a HUGE upset march to the NCAAs by winning in Albany. God do I love hockey...

Comment

1990: 31-6-1 and #2 in country
                            It's the 20th anniversary of that great team. The last ECAC team to reach the NCAA championship game. What a fun year that was.

Comment

I thought I had died that day. And every day thereafter for over a year. One has to wonder if that feat will ever be repeated during our lifetime. Not playing in Albany anymore may be the first step

Oh so close for Colgate.
                              C O L G A T E
                              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                              1990 NCAA FINALS
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I remember the 2000 NCAA game against Michigan (I'm still bitter and rightfully so)...great student turnout, great game (that we really won)... 2000: the joy of Andy McDonald and the rest of the gang (disappointed in Red Berenson never giving us much credit for coming from a 3-0 deficit and actually WINNING in ot)
                                Watched Andy, Shep, Murph, and all the boys that whole season, including the East Reg'ls. The wound is still fresh. We won that godforsaken game.

Comment

Working...
                                X