This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2009-2010

Good recap, Rainman. An alternate ref replaced the one who got hurt.

Evin made some great saves. Thought he looked good. Harvard always competes, though they lack some size and skill this year.

Comment

" Just win at home " Next weekend will be fun..as will all this week. Our next 4-5 games are home...no matter what ! What a crazy year....
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Now that we are so close, Its time to close down the lanes in our own zone, and play great team defense. The best defensive teams go deep into the playoffs, and if Evin remains consistent, which he is showing flashes of, then offensively we can compete with any team.
        Our offense is being spread around, which takes pressure off the go-to guys throughout each game.
        The Cox, Williams and Firman line is now chipping in fairly regularly, and that leaves Corrin,Carty and Bartliff to take the body and slow down the opposition from gaining momentum.
        I believe that any one of our top two lines can out perform RPI and Unions best, so defense will be a premium.
        Lets stay calm, and play smart, and we should see our first bye in a while. I like the fact that we are underdogs, but our young players are showing maturity and poise on a more consistent basis. This is a good recipe for positive results, especially this time of the season.
        Last edited by doghok; 02-21-2010, 11:09 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

listened to the first part of the game, then had to go socializing (even a shut-on like yours truly needs some social contact)...then came home and finally read the recap on USCHO.com by Jennie Sullivan; frankly, I thought the analysis was quite one-sided, as if Harvard had outshot us by a wide margin and controlled play for most of the game. Perhaps Jennie Sullivan (and I'm just spiffballing here) is related to our friend, Brian Sullivan. In any event, we've got a few things falling in place and apparently Don still has a lot of confidence in Evin (3 of 4 goals against Evin early in Dartmouth game were not his fault). Evin will have to be very solid next weekend, but I'm hoping against hope that the home support is better than the norm. I've been critical of our inability to compete against good teams, but the kids compete and compete hard (they easily could've mailed it in against Dartmouth on Friday). It's also true that the third line (Cox line) has chipped in quite nicely recently and defensively they are solid (Cox and Williams are both definite PLUS players this year). Fourth would be fantastic, but #5 or #6 would be OK (we could lose two next weekend and Quinnipiac would essentially have to beat Yale for us to finish below #6). Crazy year isn't it?

Comment

Fortune smiles upon the 'Gate, and we control our own destiny, which is really all you can ask for headed into the last weekend. From the radio, it sounded like a heck of a game, and Evin made a couple of really nice saves. First sweep of Harvard since 2004-05. Two winnable games this weekend, though given our respective positions in the conference, this is easily the biggest ECAC weekend set of the season (#3-Union/#5-RPI at #2-Cornell/#4-Colgate). As much as I predicted coming up short of the bye for most of the year, the opportunity exists and we must sieze it. Games like this weekend's will show how good this team really can be

If you look at the season so far, we're fairly predictable. Sweeps (either for or against) against 7 of our opponents, plus the ties with Dartmouth (3 of 4 pts. on the season) and Yale (1 of 4). With this as our guide, clearly a split with a win over RPI and loss to Union is at hand for the weekend. I'll be watching the RPI game with the Colgate Club of Dallas on Friday, so have fun continuing to update without me
            ECAC Champions: 1990
            NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
            ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
            NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
            Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

As Coach V remarked in one of the recaps, Day won 25 of 33 faceoffs, with many in our defensive end. This really put the brakes on the Crimson and was a huge part of winning that game.

We seem to be developing some "mo" now, at just the right time. With the freshmen essentally being sophomores, the defense improving each game, and more lines adding to the scoring, there is no reason we can't being home a point - or points - next weekend. RPI is beatable IMHO, but Union is a force and will take a great effort by everyone.

What a crazy Saturday night: Clarkson beats Yale at Ingalls, Princeton 7-0 over RPI in Troy, Dartmouth takes down Cornell at home. What a bizarre season indeed!...
              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Yale beat Clarkson.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                  2nd period: for some reason, Harvard decided to change goalies and put in Kyle Richter. Huh??? Were they trying to give us fits?
                  John Riley is a senior and last night was Senior Night at Bright. Coach Donato wanted to give John the start as he is our third string goalie and has not seen any action this year. He is a good kid who has been loyal to the program and it was a great touch on Coach's part to start him and play him for one period. It puts winning in perspective when you can think of giving a kid the chance to play in front of his parents.

I know you guys want to celebrate this weekend but honestly neither Harvard nor Dartmouth are very good. In fact, both teams are pretty bad. It would have been a shock to not come away with a win given the way we have been playing lately (the Union game aside because for some reason, we have their number).

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                    I know you guys want to celebrate this weekend but honestly neither Harvard nor Dartmouth are very good. In fact, both teams are pretty bad. It would have been a shock to not come away with a win given the way we have been playing lately (the Union game aside because for some reason, we have their number).
                    We want to celebrate this weekend because it still gives us a chance to control our own destiny in regards to a first-round bye. Things were looking kind of bleak after last Tuesday, after all.

In regards to Dartmouth, hey they beat Cornell, RPI and almost Union. FWIW, they at least have a potent offense that could do some damage in the playoffs.

With the weekend we also clinched at least home ice, something we didn't have last year. Good luck this upcoming weekend (we need you to have it ).
                    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Bump. This thread was back on Page 3.

Friday's game vs. RPI is much more important than Saturday's game vs. Union. Why? After Union plays Cornell, they will know whether they're in the hunt for 1st or 2nd place (Union wins or ties Friday) or if they're locked into 3rd (Cornell wins on Friday). So I've calculated where we will stand after Friday's game (only Friday, including Saturday cases is a bit too tedious right now):

Case 1, Colgate wins on Friday:
                      -We will finish ahead of RPI, no matter what. We will finish either 4th or 5th, and clinch the bye if SLU loses. This also seals our fate for the following weekend: either we rest up or we host Clarkson (they're locked into finishing 12th).

Case 2, Colgate ties on Friday:
                      -We're still in the hunt for the bye, but we'll finish ahead of Quinnipiac and finish 4th, 5th, or 6th. A bye is still possible for us, win or lose on Saturday, but once again, this depends on how many points SLU earns on the weekend.

Case 3, Colgate loses on Friday:
                      -RPI will finish ahead of us. We will NOT get the bye. We will finish 5th, 6th, or 7th. 7th place is only if we lose out and Quinnipiac wins out.

So Friday night, root for the following teams: Yale, Cornell, Dartmouth, and Brown. If all those teams win Friday, we finish no lower than 6th, we're still ahead of SLU, and Yale and Cornell are the top 2 seeds. That would avoid a trip to New Haven or Ithaca in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
                      Colgate '09

Comment

Rainman, Thats funny, see who I picked already on Friday for ECAC week 14.

Comment

Bump. We're almost on Page 3.

I'm so stressed out about this weekend, all I can say is: How great it is that the US team beat Canada two days ago in Vancouver...
                          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Basically the "playoffs" are here. Our goaltending is so "inconsistant" I'm pretty nervous about these two games. I'm expecting a high scoring game against both teams. RPI has the super frosh..Pirri and D'Amigo and the leading scorer in the country Polacek. Can our young defensemen stay out of the box and Evin make the saves ?

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                              Basically the "playoffs" are here. Our goaltending is so "inconsistant" I'm pretty nervous about these two games. I'm expecting a high scoring game against both teams. RPI has the super frosh..Pirri and D'Amigo and the leading scorer in the country Polacek. Can our young defensemen stay out of the box and Evin make the saves ?
                              Agree on the consistency of tending, albeit there are signs of inspiration within the past 7 weeks.
                              I would take our top 3 against any teams top 3 all day long. And furthermore, while i'm on a role, i would say that overall, the coaches have done a great job in bringing along the 17 underclassmen this year. I'm sure if we kept Mac, Day, Smith together as a line, then there individual statistics would be way up there, however, the TEAM needed to grow, sacrificing personal numbers.

Go Gate !

Comment

I'm assuming then that Pirri, D'Amigo and Polacek play on the same line ???

Comment

Working...
                                X