X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2009-2010

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
    Our 0-6 on the PP was a killer also.
    1-6 probably would have won the game for us.

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
      Any Colskaters making the trip to Hamden on Saturday?
      What are the chances of getting a ticket by walking up to the window evening of the game? (BTW, do you know the chance of this happening at the Yale Whale also?
      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
        What are the chances of getting a ticket by walking up to the window evening of the game? (BTW, do you know the chance of this happening at the Yale Whale also?
        I asked this question on the Qpac thread. The response I received was that it's Alumni Weekend for them and that the game is being nationally televised on CBS College Sports. Since I have a feeling the game might sell out, I already ordered my ticket online just to be safe (even though it meant paying $6.50 extra in handling fees )

Re: the Yale Whale, they claim to sell out every game but they technically didn't sell out for the game against us last November. I had reserved a ticket for that game to be safe then my dad decided to come along with me and took the risk of buying a ticket at the door. Luckily, he got in that night, which is good because I blew my right front tire on a curb and had to call AAA after that game to put on a compact spare, which resulted in a long drive home under 50 MPH.
        Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
          I believe if you call and reserve over the phone you may be able to avoid the handling fee, but this is not confirmed. It is alumni weekend as Rainman pointed out, but I'm sure they will stuff in as many people as they can. Standing room usually only goes for $5 and its the best view in the barn.

(203)-582-3716 is the QU ticket office. I'd call ahead just to be safe. Hope to see ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
            I plan to.

It'll be my 1st trip there too, since I wasn't able to make the playoff series last year.
            Glad to have ya. Feel free to stop by our perch. We're usually quite hospitable unless you're a Yalie.

Comment

Magoo and I were separated at birth...his point on not beating quality teams was on display again Sat night. Sadly, this has been a theme for many years (with the notable exception of the semi-final series against Clarkson two years ago). We simply have to get over this hump of almost always losing to teams that are above us in the standings. It's even more evident outside of the ECAC. Look at RPI this year with wins over UNH, BU, Michigan and Yale twice. After this weekend (and hoping for at least a split) we face Yale, Brown and Cornell over a five-day span, all at home (although home ice advantage in Hamilton isn't what it used to be). And simply from the viewpoint of EVER getting a decent national ranking it's mathematically impossible to get much above 30th in the Krach ratings or entering a Pairwise ranking without beating good teams. Going forward splitting with Yale/Cornell would certainly help. Every Cornell game seems to be a 2-1 or 3-1 loss in recent memory...

Comment

With the line-up changes by the coaching staff done in Clarkson, we have managed a 3-1-1 record, with the loss in overtime with 40 seconds left. I might have called a time-out with a minute to go, and regrouped the line-up to put the pressure back on SLU. However, regardless of the out come, we seem to be getting increased scoring and scoring chances through-out the lineup, and consequently shown we can compete better and with a more balanced attack.
                I'm not fond of singling out players, and I'm quite certain the staff know who their go to players are during crucial periods of games. While we may have had a brief hick-up during the final minute of the last game, we also have to give SLU's goalie, Tisi, the credit he deserves for coming up big during many quality scoring chances we had throughout the game.
                While a few of you are looking in the rear-view mirror, my thought is to look at what we have accomplished recently, and what the potential could be on a go forward basis.
                We have a lot of quality and balance up front, and a defensive crop that is maturing very quickly. Goaltending seems to have worked itself out, and I feel quite confident that the coaching staff is equipping itself by giving its assets experience and maturity to make a great run.
                Remember, this is a young team given the amount of Freshman and Sophomore's we have in the line-up, and we need to cheer them on for developing so quickly in a relatively short time.

Comment

We lost to a very good team (St. Lawrence) and controlled most of the game. RPI has beaten some good teams, but they still have losses to Alaska, Army, Niagara, and Brown and have tied PEI and Alaska. They probably should have beaten those teams too. This team is showing a lot of fortitude and spirit just like last year's team, who with so many overtime games last year could have packed it in but instead they kept moving forward. I'm sure this team will continue to move forward too. Hopefully we will have more W's.

Comment

Question that I was asked and did not know the answer to.

Can someone tell me when Colgate went to Scholarships for hockey and when it increased to the 16 they now have?

Thanks

Comment

I believe when Vaughan was the athletic director in 03-04 he lobbied for scholarships and they received them. The first recruiting class with scholarships would have been 04-05, but since they received them late in the recruiting process I don't believe they were able to hand them out to "true" scholarship players until the following year. As to when they went to sixteen I'm not sure, perhaps Gate Radio can answer that. The full allotment of scholarships is 18. I doubt Colgate will go there in the near future. Colgate wants to be known as an "Ivory Tower" not a legitimate D-1 school, so they will continue with their present policy I'm sure. Who knows what a new president will bring, I think having Chopp as president helped the scholarship cause. Also Colgate limits the number of players a team can have. I think Colgate can keep 25 on their roster. If you look at the other schools rosters, with the exception of Brown (24), most school have between 28-30, with SLU this year at 32 if I counted correctly. This is what contributes to the lack of depth and having to always round out you team with "full pay" or non scholarship players. I'm sure there are other restrictions. Even with scholarships, schools like SLU (in the not too distant past) and now Clarkson have had difficult years.

I think it is realistic to expect Colgate to fall somewhere in the middle to the lower end of the pack. Considering they also compete with schools like Cornell (Lynah) and other Ivies who I hear have flexible financial aid and admission policies to make up for lack of scholarships. Players come here because of the schools academic reputation and size, beautiful campus and coaching staff. Vaughan is know to be a fair coach who is respected by his players and he is earning a reputation for developing NHL players who were overlooked the NHL draft. (McDonald, Winchester, Corey Murphy, McIntyre) and now we are beginning to recruit players who have already been drafted. That's great for a small school like Colgate!

Comment

In further checking the draft status of players, McIntyre was drafted in June 2006, which was prior to commencing his start at Colgate. I believe that prior to him, the rest were free agents, signed at the end of their respective collegiate careers.

Comment

Originally posted by doghok View Post
                          I'm not fond of singling out players, and I'm quite certain the staff know who their go to players are during crucial periods of games.
                          I agree it's uncomfortable calling out specific players. This is, afterall, college hockey and not the NHL. But we do have some very good players who may need to carry the team on their shoulders in a tie game in the 3rd period. I mentioned McIntyre being "invisible" in the 3rd period vs. SLU. I know he's had knee problems and he may not be playing at 100%, so maybe I was being unfair. But, fair or not, he's one of our "go-to" guys, along with Day and Smith. They need to set the tone the rest of the way if we're to make any noise in the playoffs.

Comment

I do have to agree with Doghok noting that they are improving as a team. The thing everyone fails to note after the St. Lawrence loss is that Tisi is the 4th ranked goaltender in the country behind Scribens, and the 2 Miami goalies. Yes they were with in reach of the win but Tisi kept them in the game. On our power play most of our shots were good shots but there was no one screening the goalie like they did to us.

I was pleased with the turn out and there were 2 girls giving out cheer sheets and trying to get the student section into the game.

Comment

Welcome to the board, Indy650 and just wondering.

Comment

Incoming recruit update:

2010 Omaha Lancer Anthony Hamburg- 5 goals 12 assists 23 PIMS in 37 games and + 2.

2010 Eric Mihalik-Mckeens report above.

2010 Max Fenkell- Exeter-1046 minutes played, 37 goals against, 501 saves .931 save percentage.

2010 South Shore Kings Chris Wagner 37 played, 31 goals, 44 assists and 64 PIMS. (leading the league in scoring by 18 points)

*2011 Syracuse Stars Joey Wilson 34 played 26 goals 29 assists 14 PIMS for 55 points.

2010 Can't find Kevin Mac's brother Jack anywhere on any roster. Anybody have any clue where he is?
                                Last edited by Colgate2014; 02-05-2010, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X