UW-Stout Regular Season -- 2009-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UW-Stout Regular Season -- 2009-10

alright so there are roughly 7 spots open... when will tryouts take place?

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
      BDR, you have a great future as a SID.
      There you go, MW. BDR could be the next Layne Pitt, and of course, that is a compliment to both men.

Comment

Ulta, are you a Stout fan? If so, welcome aboard. It is nice to have more of us on here.

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
          BDR, you have a great future as a SID.
          That or a gossip columnist.
          Wormser - Rowdy Crowd
          2008-2009 D-II/III Last Person Standing Champion
          2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion
          2007-2008 D-II/III Last Person Standing Runner Up
          "...maybe I should be surprised about this, but then again, we are the Rowdy Crowd - everyone wants a piece. We are awesome." ~XYZ

Comment

Yea I am a fan, thanks.
            Has Stout ever had a walk-on make the team? If so, who?

Comment

Yes, quite a few, but Stout's recruiting situation has changed a bit over the past few years. I imagine there is less room for walk-ons now than back in the day.

A classic example would be current assistant coach Bryan Cummings. He was a walk-on who went on to be the team captain.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormser-PointRC View Post
                That or a gossip columnist.
                It's good to have options.
                Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
                2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
                2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
                Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevilRadio View Post
                  UW-Stout begins voluntary individual workouts- http://www.stouthockey.com/2009/09/t...tary-workouts/
                  where did this article go?

Comment

when are tryouts? I heard they will be held around the 10th. any standout recruits so far?

Comment

Originally posted by ultahockey View Post
                      when are tryouts? I heard they will be held around the 10th. any standout recruits so far?
                      October 10th seems like a good bet, I don't know the dates yet. Tryouts are traditionally a string of two or three days. The Dunn Co. Ice Palace was flooded last weekend and the ice is in now.

I don't see how any walk-ons are going to make the roster this season, I just don't see it in the cards. The recruiting class is pretty big with padding above what we lost.

There are big differences between an 18 year-old fresh out of prep vs. a battle tested 21 year-old who played over 100 games in juniors. Not only does talent development differ but so does the mental and physical aspects of the game. Guys that play juniors for a solid two or three years have all that time to specifically focus on hockey and that only while working out and putting on weight.

I'm not saying one or two might not find their way tucked on the full roster at #29 or #30. If the coaching staff sees something special in a kid or thinks he's a real good heart guy, he could make the team. However, I doubt he'd see much game ice.

Stout has/had players straight out of high school like Rob Mueller (Buffalo, MN) and currently Jake Gullickson. (Holy Angels) The difference with these two is they were brought in a number of years ago when UW-Stout had much different circumstances.

Insert score from the motion picture 'Rudy'
                      WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
                      NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
                      WIAC Championships: 10-11
                      NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
                      NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

yea I did the math and thought the roster would stand at about 31 or 32 if all the recruits were put on the team. so with the tryouts are they essentially "weeding" the recruiting class? some of them look like pretty big guys with impressive stats. the transfer from D1 is going to be quite the addition! But I do know one recruit suffered a really bad ankle injury last season which required him to sit out quite a few games at the end there. Didn't know if he made a full recovery yet or not. It was that one from the Avalanche.
                        Either way, exciting stuff! It looks like a winning line up this year!

Comment

yea I did the math and thought the roster would stand at about 31 or 32 if all the recruits were put on the team. so with the tryouts are they essentially "weeding" the recruiting class? some of them look like pretty big guys with impressive stats. the transfer from D1 is going to be quite the addition! But I do know one recruit suffered a really bad ankle injury last season which required him to sit out quite a few games at the end there. Didn't know if he made a full recovery yet or not. It was that one from the Avalanche.
                          Either way, exciting stuff! It looks like a winning line up this year!
                          Justin Giles (AA-NAHL) seems to be just fine if that was the player you were thinking of. I've heard nothing but great things about his hands and vision on the ice. Similar to a young Derek Hanson. His size is the only concern while playing in such a physical conference as the NCHA. Nothing he can't overcome though.

Branden Gay (JR-D1-Robert Morris) looks like he'll make an impact right away. He's really opened some eyes and was a fantastic pick-up during the off-season. He really can bury it.

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

UW-Stout student fans host 'Costume Freak Fest' Halloween night - http://www.stouthockey.com/2009/10/c...dunn-oct-31st/

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevilRadio View Post
                              Justin Giles (AA-NAHL) seems to be just fine if that was the player you were thinking of. I've heard nothing but great things about his hands and vision on the ice. Similar to a young Derek Hanson. His size is the only concern while playing in such a physical conference as the NCHA. Nothing he can't overcome though.

Branden Gay (JR-D1-Robert Morris) looks like he'll make an impact right away. He's really opened some eyes and was a fantastic pick-up during the off-season. He really can bury it.
                              I agree Brandon Gay looks awesome, while he didn't get much action at Robert Morris, his junior stats are very impressive. I'm sure he'll prove himself when given more ice time and a chance to really show himself. He'll be one that I know people will be keeping their eye on.

Justin Giles is the one I was thinking of. I am aware of his potential and the advantage of being shifty, but I agree that he is significantly smaller than all of the guys on the team. I see that it lists his height as 5'7". Anyone who has seen him knows there's no way he's taller than 5'4" (unless you measure them with their skates & helmet on. ) I can see how it is concerning having such a small guy, with more "average" stats that is prone to getting injured even in the junior leagues, while playing kids much younger than him. I recently learned that his ankle injury wasn't the first to put him out a few games.
                              We shall see!
                              I'm just ready for Oct. 30th!

Comment

... Giles is the one I was thinking of. I am aware of his potential and the advantage of being shifty, but I agree that he is significantly smaller than all of the guys on the team. I see that it lists his height as 5'7". Anyone who has seen him knows there's no way he's taller than 5'4" (unless you measure them with their skates & helmet on. ) I can see how it is concerning having such a small guy, with more "average" stats that is prone to getting injured even in the junior leagues, while playing kids much younger than him. I recently learned that his ankle injury wasn't the first to put him out a few games.
                                We shall see!
                                Good product sometimes come in small packages. ie: Fleury & St-Louis of the bigs!

Comment

Working...
                                X