Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Boston University 2009-2010 Pre-season thread - Let the banners rise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Boston University 2009-2010 Pre-season thread - Let the banners rise!

Originally posted by Bomber View Post

EDIT TO ADD: Did they do more work on Matthews Arena? From the article:
    I believe they changed out some of the old seats and added a center ice scoreboard. Not as nice as the Agganis scoreboard, but an improvement.

BC added a new scoreboard on the ends of the arena where the old ones were.

Comment

• Re: Official Boston University 2009-2010 Pre-season thread - Let the banners rise!

Actually Northeastern did a lot - everything you can't see is new including a new area to workout so you won't see them warming up in the concession area pre-game. Also a new pressbox on the lower level (you might want to check out its location before buying seats to a game). They did the official tour today - I'm sick and didn't go, but there should be a story up later & there is a before/after gallery.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
      HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
      HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
        I think that would be a 3rd line that could score. I don't agree that Gilroy should be on the top line, though. We at least need someone who is proven to be able to deposit some pucks when given a nice feed. And on RW, that's no one. Even Saponari had some trouble with that last year. That said, I think he's the guy for that position, I'm sure he's going to be a better player from the get-go. Last year I said put Higgins-Wilson-Yip out there, Parker spread it out instead, and Lawrence had a fabulous season. However, there is no second option that can do the same things given a chance that we've seen yet.
        I was thinking that line would be the second. Put last year's freshman line out there as the first line. I'm expecting big things from all of them, but mostly from Trivino. Top two lines would get the same amount of playing time anyway. Obviously it all depends on how they look in practice, but I think Gilroy's good enough to play with Bonino and Cohen, guys who are going to get points anyway. Putting Gilroy with them means Gilroy will get points he wasn't going to get anyway. I think he's good enough to get 7 goals - about what McCarthy got last year, though McCarthy brought a lot more to the table that I don't think Gilroy will. Just an unconventional idea to spread out the scoring. I think we will end up with two lines that can score and with a team that won't be scoring as much, I feel like spreading it out will be the most effective way to beat other teams. Having defensemen that can score will certainly help and it will be because of our overwhelming advantage there that we'll do pretty well this season.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsBUsBeanpot View Post
          A friend told me he saw Yip visiting the BU campus recently with a cast on one of his arms.
          gerbe slashed him.
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsBUsBeanpot View Post
            A friend told me he saw Yip visiting the BU campus recently with a cast on one of his arms.
            Maybe he found out his hackery doesn't fly in the pros?

Comment

Originally posted by btg1204 View Post
              Maybe he found out his hackery doesn't fly in the pros?
              It's been working okay for Freddy Meyer, right?
              Boston University 2009 Champs
              Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Gilroy will have double digit goals this year. He is a goal scorer.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

When do we start discussing this weekends game? Does it get its own thread? And should we move to a 2009-2010 season thread? (or do we wait until the Notre Dame game for that).

In checking out their website so far this season the "X-Men" have a 6-1 loss to the Florida Panthers Rookie Team (yes the Florida Panthers of the NHL). Also a 4-2 loss to Acadia (who I believe we have played in previous seasons exibition games?) Then most recently an opening round loss in the Don Wells Invitational Tourney to St Mary's before beating Dalhousie 5-3 in the consolation final.

I'm looking forward to seeing the team... and I always think these games against the canadian teams are fun. A couple of years ago we got to chatting with some of the players from New Brunswick at Sunset after the game... seemed like good guys who enjoyed coming down this way to play.

Edit: It just struck me... from an old debate on these boards... perhaps the term "consolation final" is appropriate after all!
                  Last edited by ericredaxe; 10-01-2009, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Does this mean that Yip will be playing in the NHL once he's healthy?
                    Last edited by Gryba Dekes; 10-01-2009, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                      When do we start discussing this weekends game? Does it get its own thread? And should we move to a 2009-2010 season thread? (or do we wait until the Notre Dame game for that).
                      Because this is a "pre-season" thread and contains the phrase "Let the banners rise" I was going to wait until after the exhibition games to start a season thread.

Originally posted by Gryba Dekes View Post
                      Does this mean that Yip will be playing in the NHL once he's healthy?
                      I don't know, but probably not. I think he was going to be (or already was?) sent down to the AHL, so I'm surprised he is on the NHL roster, albeit on IR, at all. It's interesting.
                      Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

StFX is a middle-of-the-pack team in the eight-team AUS (Atlantic University Sport) conference of the CIS. That is a complement, since the AUS is the most competitive of the three conferences in the CIS. The first place team last year was the University of New Brunswick (UNB), who despite losing the AUS championship to Saint Mary's (SMU) went onto Nationals thanks to the rotating wildcard and ended up winning their second University Cup in three years.

Back to "X". Their veteran goalie, who was capable of stealing wins, has graduated, so a lot of pressure is on highly regarded recruit Joey Perricone, who played four years with the WHL's Moose Jaw Warriors. Their three best defencemen have graduated as well, so the new guys will take some adjustment. They have had a good recruting class, so they'll be in the thick of it, I think.

If you've seen any AUS teams before, there will be similarities. Visors, not full face protection. Older and often bigger than NCAA players, but not as quick. X plays with a bit of an edge, and are one of the more physical teams in the AUS, and a typical hard working team.

Of course, there are no NHL first round and second rounders playing in CIS teams ...
                        "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by WinTheThird View Post
                          Despite not loving us enough to put our logo at the top, ESPN Boston decided to still post articles about BU hockey.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/news/story?id=4521096
                          it actually was when ESPN BOSTON first started up.

I remember sending the link to Slurpees because both BU and Harvard's logos were on top, but Northeastern's was not... and I found that funny.

Sad that they changed it....
                          Boston University '08 Syracuse University '11
                          when you say Jack Parker... you've said it all

1994 1996 1998 1999 2000 2003 2009 2009
                          "so here's to the outhouse on the hill, 'cause BOSTON COLLEGE SUCKS, and they always will!"

Comment

Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post
                            StFX is a middle-of-the-pack team in the eight-team AUS (Atlantic University Sport) conference of the CIS. That is a complement, since the AUS is the most competitive of the three conferences in the CIS. The first place team last year was the University of New Brunswick (UNB), who despite losing the AUS championship to Saint Mary's (SMU) went onto Nationals thanks to the rotating wildcard and ended up winning their second University Cup in three years.

Back to "X". Their veteran goalie, who was capable of stealing wins, has graduated, so a lot of pressure is on highly regarded recruit Joey Perricone, who played four years with the WHL's Moose Jaw Warriors. Their three best defencemen have graduated as well, so the new guys will take some adjustment. They have had a good recruting class, so they'll be in the thick of it, I think.

If you've seen any AUS teams before, there will be similarities. Visors, not full face protection. Older and often bigger than NCAA players, but not as quick. X plays with a bit of an edge, and are one of the more physical teams in the AUS, and a typical hard working team.

Of course, there are no NHL first round and second rounders playing in CIS teams ...
                            Thanks a lot for the scouting report! Should be a fun game. A physical exhibition game might get us more prepared than pushing around 17-year-olds a week later.
                            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

35 fun facts to get you ready for the season
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

All BU fans somehow surviving in the Terrier Nation diaspora: I just peeped the Hockey East TV schedule, and was thrilled to see that our boys will be televised 9 times this season! Very, very fortunate for NYC-based alumni like myself, who can supplement these telecasts by seeing the Cornell game at MSG (and, in my case, roadtrip up to Boston for the Fenway game).

Not bad!

(oh, and I hope everyone had a good summer.)
                                Last edited by Section Eight; 10-02-2009, 04:34 PM.
                                Not changing my sig until we do it again...
                                2009 Boston University Terriers

Icebreaker Champions
                                Beanpot Champions
                                Denver Cup Champions
                                Hockey East Regular Season Champions
                                Hockey East Tournament Champions
                                National Rookie of the Year
                                National Coach of the Year
                                Hobey Baker Award
                                NCAA Division 1 Men's Ice Hockey Champions

...typing the above just made me happier than your hockey team has ever made you.

Comment

Working...
                                X