Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Boston University 2009-2010 Pre-season thread - Let the banners rise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Boston University 2009-2010 Pre-season thread - Let the banners rise!

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
    The first six forwards are pretty much a no-brainer. Chiasson is likely the only freshman to crack the first two lines. I like the lines shown above for the reasons cc stated and because Bonino and Sapanari saw considerable powerplay time together last year (with Yip on the point); they should do the same this year.

The next two lines are tougher to predict. C3--Does Popko get the chance to play with more skilled wingers, just as McCarthy got his chance last season? Is Wade Megan, a skilled center who can finish, ready to step in at 3rd line center?

If the coaches keep Luke on the checking line and Megan needs time to adjust, don't be surprised if Connolly centers the 3rd line and perhaps Glass is LW2. The last 2 RW spots will go to Gilroy and Pereira, but which one is RW3 and which is RW4? I'd expect Courtnall, fast and physical, will be LW4. He's perfect for the role.
    I'd love to see a Courtnall-Popko-Pereira line. I think that would be a lot of fun to watch. They'd be all over the place. I guess that means a Glass-Megan-Gilroy 3rd line.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

• Re: Official Boston University 2009-2010 Pre-season thread - Let the banners rise!

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
      A few on here have been hoping for a first line of Zach Cohen-Nick Bonino-Vinny Saponari, but after that there are several different options. I think a second line of Connolly-Trivino-Chiasson could be good, but maybe not right away. We have to see what Chiasson can offer, so perhaps we will start with an all-freshman third line or have them play 4th line minutes while the upperclassmen take the bulk of the duty early in the season.

The more interesting arguments in my opinion are at defense. After Strait's departure, it's tough to figure out who will be paired with whom. Shattenkirk should be on the top pair. Colby Cohen has been with him for the last two seasons, and will definitely be with him in power play situations, but at even strength a defensive d-man is a good thing to have on the top pair. The only proven such player is Gryba (but that would be two RDs). That would mean splitting up the two returning pairs from last year, and Parker would likely not want to have a D-pair of freshmen. I don't know how far behind Escobedo Rosen is (if he is), but there will probably be a rotation early of the freshmen defensemen to figure out that situation.
      While I'm eternally greatful for the game winning goal in the championship, that doesn't change the fact that Cohen can't play defense to save his life. He shouldn't be part of the top pair or the second pair. A freshman pairing on D wouldn't be the worst thing in the world IMHO.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        While I'm eternally greatful for the game winning goal in the championship, that doesn't change the fact that Cohen can't play defense to save his life. He shouldn't be part of the top pair or the second pair. A freshman pairing on D wouldn't be the worst thing in the world IMHO.
        I don't think Parker will split up Shatty and Cohen. That's probably the top pair, like it or not. Warsofsky and Gryba worked well together last year, so I'd hate to see them get separated. I don't see anything wrong with an Escobedo-Nicastro (and maybe some Rosen at times) 3rd pairing. Shatty and Cohen were paired together right off the bat as freshmen.
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Interesting, but I'm honestly wondering how long his injury affected his play on defense. If it was hurting him, I'll bet he tried to take some shortcuts to make it easier on himself and that resulted in some lazy breakdowns. He won't ever be a stalwart, but I think he can play more thoroughly than we saw in that second semester.

A freshman pair is different than a freshman line as I'm sure you know. If they are out there together there isn't really an adjustment period because no one will be able to cover for their mistakes. If Nicastro is as ready to go as Warsofsky was last year, that won't be as much of an issue, but if there really is a freshman d-pair they'll see 10 minutes a game to start out and that'll put a huge load on the 4 returning guys.
          Boston University 2009 Champs
          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Not sure if this just went up, but there are now videos of each coach's thoughts and expectations:

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...d/sep30vid.php
            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Colin Wilson and Brandon Yip both open the season on Injured Reserve with their respective clubs.
              "I try to be 100% realistic outside of the arena and 100% enthusiastic inside the arena. Not saying that's the only way, the right way, the best way, or even a good way - just my way." -LynahFan

Comment

What happened to Yip?

I knew Wilson had a groin injury.
                Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                  What happened to Yip?

I knew Wilson had a groin injury.
                  No idea, I was surprised to see him on the NHL's report.
                  "I try to be 100% realistic outside of the arena and 100% enthusiastic inside the arena. Not saying that's the only way, the right way, the best way, or even a good way - just my way." -LynahFan

Comment

Despite not loving us enough to put our logo at the top, ESPN Boston decided to still post articles about BU hockey.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/news/story?id=4521096

Comment

Originally posted by kennedy View Post
                      No idea, I was surprised to see him on the NHL's report.
                      A friend told me he saw Yip visiting the BU campus recently with a cast on one of his arms.
                      It's BU's Beanpot

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                        I'd love to see a Courtnall-Popko-Pereira line. I think that would be a lot of fun to watch. They'd be all over the place. I guess that means a Glass-Megan-Gilroy 3rd line.
                        Uuuggggh. Not looking forward to 3rd and 4th lines looking like that. I think we have to spread out the scoring a bit. I make last year's 3rd this year's 1st. Bonino is good enough to score on his own; he will get his points no matter who you put him with. Make Cohen a wing and put him at the side of the net and Bonino can get him the puck. Give them Gilroy who can skate around, take up space, draw one defender and (hopefully) not take penalties; I'm sure he could score 6 or 7 goals with Bonino and Cohen out there. All freshman 3rd line, probably put up similar numbers to last year's 3rd line. 4th line of Glass, Popko and Pereira should be pretty similar to last year's line, maybe better with more experience from all three (I know Cohen scored some when he was on the 4th but a lot did come when he was moved around on other lines, too).

Comment

Originally posted by WinTheThird View Post
                          Despite not loving us enough to put our logo at the top, ESPN Boston decided to still post articles about BU hockey.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/news/story?id=4521096
                          So, I'm taking he pre-wrote this article a while ago making the assumption that BU would be ranked #1 in the pre-season? The article states the banner raising is the 20th.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            So, I'm taking he pre-wrote this article a while ago making the assumption that BU would be ranked #1 in the pre-season? The article states the banner raising is the 20th.
                            I'm sure this was written yesterday when the HE poll came out, but he just got sloppy with regards to checking on the banner thing. In his defense, it did change and who knows where it still says Oct 20.

Speaking of Polls (or Poles) When does the USCHO National poll come out?

EDIT TO ADD: Did they do more work on Matthews Arena? From the article:

Over at a revamped Matthews Arena, Brad Thiessen has taken his 25-12-4 record, 2.12 goals-against average and .931 save percentage to the Pittsburgh Penguins organization, and it has left behind a gaping hole in net.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                              Uuuggggh. Not looking forward to 3rd and 4th lines looking like that. I think we have to spread out the scoring a bit. I make last year's 3rd this year's 1st. Bonino is good enough to score on his own; he will get his points no matter who you put him with. Make Cohen a wing and put him at the side of the net and Bonino can get him the puck. Give them Gilroy who can skate around, take up space, draw one defender and (hopefully) not take penalties; I'm sure he could score 6 or 7 goals with Bonino and Cohen out there. All freshman 3rd line, probably put up similar numbers to last year's 3rd line. 4th line of Glass, Popko and Pereira should be pretty similar to last year's line, maybe better with more experience from all three (I know Cohen scored some when he was on the 4th but a lot did come when he was moved around on other lines, too).
                              I think that would be a 3rd line that could score. I don't agree that Gilroy should be on the top line, though. We at least need someone who is proven to be able to deposit some pucks when given a nice feed. And on RW, that's no one. Even Saponari had some trouble with that last year. That said, I think he's the guy for that position, I'm sure he's going to be a better player from the get-go. Last year I said put Higgins-Wilson-Yip out there, Parker spread it out instead, and Lawrence had a fabulous season. However, there is no second option that can do the same things given a chance that we've seen yet.
                              Last edited by candycanes99; 10-01-2009, 04:14 PM.
                              Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by ItsBUsBeanpot View Post
                                A friend told me he saw Yip visiting the BU campus recently with a cast on one of his arms.
                                Thirteen ex-Terriers on opening night rosters (3 on IR *). 6 in the Atlantic Division.

Ryan Whitney (ANA)
                                Brandon Yip (COA) *
                                Colin Wilson (NSH) *
                                Jay Pandolfo (NJD)
                                Freddy Meyer (NYI)
                                Rick DiPietro (NYI) *
                                Chris Drury (NYR)
                                Matt Gilroy (NYR)
                                Adrian Aucoin (PHX)
                                Chris Bourque (PIT)
                                Keith Tkachuk (STL)
                                Mike Grier (BUF)