Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Boston University 2009-2010 Pre-season thread - Let the banners rise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Boston University 2009-2010 Pre-season thread - Let the banners rise!

Few thoughts.

1) Surprised we're seeing BU ranked at the top of the preseason poll.
    2) Surprised not to see UML getting more first place votes. Guess the coaches don't buy into the hype. Maybe the VT posters who still haven't learned to spell are getting into the minds of the coaches and telling the truth about the RiverHawks.
    3) Don't underestimate BC. Ever. I think we can all learn that from the Book of Scarlet.
    4) UNH might be the dark horse of the league.
    Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

• Re: Official Boston University 2009-2010 Pre-season thread - Let the banners rise!

Any speculation on what the lines are going to look like this year? Another all-freshmen line maybe?

BC scares me a lot this year, all these young guys who don't have anything to lose and all the experience in the world to gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
        Any speculation on what the lines are going to look like this year? Another all-freshmen line maybe?

BC scares me a lot this year, all these young guys who don't have anything to lose and all the experience in the world to gain.
        A few on here have been hoping for a first line of Zach Cohen-Nick Bonino-Vinny Saponari, but after that there are several different options. I think a second line of Connolly-Trivino-Chiasson could be good, but maybe not right away. We have to see what Chiasson can offer, so perhaps we will start with an all-freshman third line or have them play 4th line minutes while the upperclassmen take the bulk of the duty early in the season.

The more interesting arguments in my opinion are at defense. After Strait's departure, it's tough to figure out who will be paired with whom. Shattenkirk should be on the top pair. Colby Cohen has been with him for the last two seasons, and will definitely be with him in power play situations, but at even strength a defensive d-man is a good thing to have on the top pair. The only proven such player is Gryba (but that would be two RDs). That would mean splitting up the two returning pairs from last year, and Parker would likely not want to have a D-pair of freshmen. I don't know how far behind Escobedo Rosen is (if he is), but there will probably be a rotation early of the freshmen defensemen to figure out that situation.
        Boston University 2009 Champs
        Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

According to the poll on the blog, most people wanna see Connolly and Saponari on the top line. I don't think that'll work because then you probably have to drop Cohen or Chiasson to the 3rd line. Both are big power forwards, and typically you want to split up your power forwards. I'd like to see Connolly and Chiasson paired together and Cohen and Saponari paired together. Who plays with Bonino and who plays with Trivino doesn't really matter to me.
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
            According to the poll on the blog, most people wanna see Connolly and Saponari on the top line. I don't think that'll work because then you probably have to drop Cohen or Chiasson to the 3rd line. Both are big power forwards, and typically you want to split up your power forwards. I'd like to see Connolly and Chiasson paired together and Cohen and Saponari paired together. Who plays with Bonino and who plays with Trivino doesn't really matter to me.
            It doesn't mean either have to be on the 3rd line?

It could be either:

Cohen-Bonino-Saponari
            Connolly-Trivino-Chiasson
            or
            Connolly-Bonino-Saponari
            Cohen-Trivino-Chiasson

I think Cohen's size would be best used on the top line to create extra space for Saponari and Bonino. I could understand that some might want to keep Connolly and Saponari together, but Connolly broke off on his own enough last year. There are many other combinations that could work honestly, but I think we're best off surrounding Bonino with the best skill and size we can to start off.

P.S. 6 is "most people?" Wait for a few more voters!
            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
              It doesn't mean either have to be on the 3rd line?
              If Connolly and Saponari are on the same line, it does. I can't imagine Cohen and Chiasson being on the same line. I agree with everything else you said.
              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

BTW, I remember some people were wondering how to pronounce Chiasson. According to the media guide, it's "chee-AH-sohn".

Comment

It's October. HOCKEY MONTH!

Mookie, I threw HBO in there because then they could mike-up Jack on the bench and not blow their budget on bleeps.

BU Hockey: **** Yeah!
                  It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                    If Connolly and Saponari are on the same line, it does. I can't imagine Cohen and Chiasson being on the same line. I agree with everything else you said.
                    With Trivino at center it could be possible (although I don't like it either). Unless he's put on a good amount of weight to his frame, he'll need all the help he can get. Also, Chiasson is projected as a power forward, but also still has to fill out his own frame, so he probably won't be playing Yip-style just yet. He may need to rely mostly on his offensive skills for some of this season before he can get into a physical rhythm.
                    Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      ...then they could mike-up Jack on the bench and not blow their budget on bleeps.
                      This. I want this to happen.

Happy Hockey month everybody!

Any chance the band has learned "Uprising" by Muse? Does the band have a twitter or anything? It'd be cool if they had a 'suggestion' box.... What ever happened to the CD they were supposedly putting together?
                      Boston University Hockey
                      1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown6 View Post
                        This. I want this to happen.

Happy Hockey month everybody!

Any chance the band has learned "Uprising" by Muse? Does the band have a twitter or anything? It'd be cool if they had a 'suggestion' box.... What ever happened to the CD they were supposedly putting together?
                        Chris Parks is happy to take suggestions for the band repertoire, although it might be too late to make the first semester.

cparks@bu.edu
                        Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Chris Parks is happy to take suggestions for the band repertoire, although it might be too late to make the first semester.

cparks@bu.edu
                          Rockin. Thanks!
                          Boston University Hockey
                          1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

Comment

Speaking of new band songs. The new Pearl Jam song would be a cool tune to arrange for the band. And I know you are all going to scream "NOOOOOO" when I say this, but I'd love for them to add This Song

Yep, I'm a Blackhawks fan.

BU Hockey: Ear Worm
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                              And I know you are all going to scream "NOOOOOO" when I say this, but I'd love for them to add This Song
                              I say yes. Chelsea Dagger is catchy and addictive. Plus, The Fratellis are one of the 8-10 new(er) bands that I actually like.

Comment

Cohen-Bonino-Saponari
                                Connolly-Trivino-Chiasson

I think Cohen's size would be best used on the top line to create extra space for Saponari and Bonino. I could understand that some might want to keep Connolly and Saponari together, but Connolly broke off on his own enough last year. There are many other combinations that could work honestly, but I think we're best off surrounding Bonino with the best skill and size we can to start off.
                                The first six forwards are pretty much a no-brainer. Chiasson is likely the only freshman to crack the first two lines. I like the lines shown above for the reasons cc stated and because Bonino and Sapanari saw considerable powerplay time together last year (with Yip on the point); they should do the same this year.

The next two lines are tougher to predict. C3--Does Popko get the chance to play with more skilled wingers, just as McCarthy got his chance last season? Is Wade Megan, a skilled center who can finish, ready to step in at 3rd line center?

If the coaches keep Luke on the checking line and Megan needs time to adjust, don't be surprised if Connolly centers the 3rd line and perhaps Glass is LW2. The last 2 RW spots will go to Gilroy and Pereira, but which one is RW3 and which is RW4? I'd expect Courtnall, fast and physical, will be LW4. He's perfect for the role.
                                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X