Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Boston University 2009-2010 Pre-season thread - Let the banners rise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Boston University 2009-2010 Pre-season thread - Let the banners rise!

guessing that it is due to a school night and Jack's grandkids wanting to be in the house (i have to agree with the parenting decision there )
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Official Boston University 2009-2010 Pre-season thread - Let the banners rise!

Geez - the only Eastern recruit on the U-18 is going to Maine. Between Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame, they have 75% of the players.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
        Yeah but none of those guys would be on our radar. Clendening is the only one left who is any good, at least from what I've heard. I don't think looking to pick up a recruit would be a big enough concern to offset raising banners before an exhibition game.
        And Clendenning is just above avg and to small. Not in same world as Warsofsky. Already screwed BC over and will screw whatever team he comitts to. Will end up in OHL and wash out from there just like shmitdz did..

Comment

I found a single banner raising example that might be slightly more absurd than ours:

http://media.www.dailyorange.com/med...1-520728.shtml

But at least that one probably sold out.
          2008-09 Boston University Terriers
          Icebreaker, Denver Cup, Beanpot, HE Regular Season, HE Tournament
          NCAA Champions

Comment

Well that about does it. They've managed to bungle the most special night in Agganis' short history.

Now we get to raise the banners with a bunch of shuttered concession stands, a tiny crowd, and some 17 year olds on the ice. Sadness consumes me.

I cant believe I'm seriously NOT looking forward to the game on the night we raise banners now. Way to suck the excitement out of what should've been a marquee event.

When someone finds out, could you please post the email address of the person who made this decision? Thanks.

(Dont get me wrong, this issue is petty at best, but it's something I've been waiting for for a long time and to have it diminished is terribly disappointing)
            Last edited by Beantown6; 09-15-2009, 08:30 AM. Reason: dont get me wrong....
            Boston University Hockey
            1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
              Yeah but none of those guys would be on our radar. Clendening is the only one left who is any good, at least from what I've heard. I don't think looking to pick up a recruit would be a big enough concern to offset raising banners before an exhibition game.
              No, Matt Nieto and Chasen Balisy are high-end players on the U18s not yet committed for 2010. Nieto, who previously played for Salisbury, was third in scoring for the U17s (20-33-53) but only because he was called up to the U18s where he scored another 14 points, including 4 goals in the World U18s, where USA won the gold. Balisy, who plays both forward and defense, had 39 for the U17s. Clendening, like Nieto, was called up to the U18s and played in the Worlds. Brandon Saad, also the U18s but is a 2011 recruit, is another uncommitted top prospect, a power forward.

That said, I agree recruiting shouldn't dictate the banner-raising. The U18s certainly will get to see all the hardware BU won last season. My preference, too, would be the Notre Dame game, but I can see some genuine issues that likely motivated the change. Getting to a Tuesday night game an hour early is a problem for some of the parents of players who are supposed to participate in the banner-raising events (a longtime tradition), especially for those from out of town. Another factor could be that ESPNU, which is airing the Notre Dame game, didn’t want to extend the length of the broadcast.
              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                Another factor could be that ESPNU, which is airing the Notre Dame game, didn’t want to extend the length of the broadcast.
                Which wouldn't be a problem, we have an 'in' at ESPN. Devita, fix this.

Thanks.
                Boston University Hockey
                1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown6 View Post
                  Well that about does it. They've managed to bungle the most special night in Agganis' short history.

Now we get to raise the banners with a bunch of shuttered concession stands, a tiny crowd, and some 17 year olds on the ice. Sadness consumes me.

I cant believe I'm seriously NOT looking forward to the game on the night we raise banners now. Way to suck the excitement out of what should've been a marquee event.

When someone finds out, could you please post the email address of the person who made this decision? Thanks.

(Dont get me wrong, this issue is petty at best, but it's something I've been waiting for for a long time and to have it diminished is terribly disappointing)

Well, enjoy whatever else you will do that Saturday night.

Comment

I haven't been on here since last week. What I miss?

What's that? They moved the banner raising from opening night to a Saturday exhibition game on Columbus Day weekend!? Is this April Fool's Day? 'cause why would a world class University with a world class hockey program do something that silly? Not possible.

*sigh*

Have fun without me kids. I was really looking forward to wiping away the crash of October 20th, 1995. (I will NEVER forget the buzz in that arena before the game started. They were playing North ****ing Dakota! Then they scored a goal on their first shift! Then...*sigh*)

BU Hockey: Banner Bungle
                    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Matt Gilroy gets his first pro start at Madison Square Garden tonight against the Bruins. Drury also is scheduled to play. The game is on MSG Network. This really belongs on the alum page, but am making an exception since it's tonight.

From the Rangers’ Web site:
                      Matt Gilroy, the 25 year-old first-year defenseman who won the Hobey Baker Award at Boston University last season, impressed the staff with his willingness to lead the rush up ice and create offensive opportunities. Although he did not score, Gilroy did whistle a shot past goaltender Henrik Lundqvist and off of the crossbar in the morning scrimmage.

“He played well,” said Tortorella. “He did some things we want him to do. He was up the ice and creating offense. We’ll see as we go from scrimmage games to exhibition games and the grind here as the camp really gets going, we’ll see where he sits.”

Gilroy is in a spirited battle with no fewer than a half dozen defensemen, ranging from youthful former first round picks Bobby Sanguinetti and Michael Del Zotto to NHL veteran Alexei Semenov -- who is in camp on a tryout basis -- for two or three spots on the backline.
                      In case anyone was wondering, yes, he's wearing #97.
                      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Well, enjoy whatever else you will do that Saturday night.
                        If you read my post, it says that I am not looking forward to 'the game.' So I'll be there.

Ya know, it's ok to disagree with what the BU athletic department does, Scarlet. I don't know why you defend even their most asinine decisions.
                        Boston University Hockey
                        1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                          What's that? They moved the banner raising from opening night to a Saturday exhibition game on Columbus Day weekend!? Is this April Fool's Day? 'cause why would a world class University with a world class hockey program do something that silly? Not possible.

BU Hockey: Banner Bungle
                          I wondered this part as well. I'm pretty good about making it to all the games, but Columbus Day weekend is one of those weekends were outside-life (as opposed to hockey-life) tends to get in the way.

Sad to be missing the banner raising, but am in a wedding for the weekend.

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                          In case anyone was wondering, yes, he's wearing #97.
                          Nice.

Comment

Any time you want to email the "decision" maker, you want to be looking for a Mr Jack Parker.

The buck stops there.

Comment

'ewe, ya need to yell at this there friend of yours... I hate people that get married over holidays! Way to waste my time off.

Ok. Sorry. Back to complaining about our National Championship Banner raising . Carry on

Comment

And now for something completely different...

When "they" create the opening video clip that plays on the socreboard before every game, will they be able to include any of the footage from the NCAA's / Frozen Four? Or will that be off limits by either ESPN or NCAA? How sweet would it be to be able to see in quick succession: Lawrence against UNH, Wilson against UVM and then the last three goals of the 2008-9 season.
                                I'd say that would get the fans pumped up. Of course there is also the theory that Parker may want to get last year out of their heads as soon as possible.

I see the first conference coaches poll is out (Atlantic). We must be getting close...
                                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Working...
                                X