Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    Is row A the closest to the ice at the Kohl Center?
    Pretty sure it is, depends on what section you are in (E.g. Sec. 122 Row C is closest due to player benches)
    Last edited by UWPucks; 10-07-2009, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      BTW, watching the Kings and Sharks and Drewiske is getting good minutes. I always liked him and am glad to see him make it. Heatley and Pavelski playing too!

Drewiske got an empty netter, 1st career NHL goal tonight. Heatley also scored his first as a shark

Comment

Originally posted by UWPucks View Post
        Pretty sure it is, depends on what section you are in (E.g. Sec. 122 Row C is closest due to player benches)
        Yes, if you are in the 100 section.

Comment

On Skille, I want to see him suceed as much as anyone, but to say he should play before Kane or Toews is absurd. As someone mentioned, he is behind Bolland, Versteeg, Brouwer and a half dozen other Hawk forwards without anything remotely resembling a doubt. He has gotten to play 24 games at the NHL level over the past 2 years and has concistantly been inconcistant in those chances. For every game he looks really good, he has 2 or 3 that he is invisible. Jack was a solid college player, but hardly someone that was spectacular (other then maybe the OT's against Cornell). Toews and Kane have been stars at prior levels and elite at the international level before they got to Chicago.

I think the reality for Jack is that he has a pretty limited skill set that needs to evolve some more for him to be a regular on a real good team (yes he could play in the NHL for certain franchises and probably be a productive player...but those are not going to be very good teams). His offensive game is still very much he skates real fast around the outside of a dman and by the time he turns the corner he is beloow the face off dots with a bad angle for a shot. I'm not sure Jack will ever have the hands to dangle through open ice against NHL level dmen. He has a fairly hard shot, but his accuracy can leave you wanting more times then not (although he has improved since his days as a Badger). I also don't see him as the traditional power forward as at 6'1 and $1.98, he just is not big enough to play that kind of game and hold up physically. At this point, I see him with a ceiling of a third liner that can create some energy, give you limited offfence (12-15 goals a year), draw a few penalties by moving his feet and skating well.

As to Jack's future in Chicago, I think he gets plenty of chances to show what he can do at the NHL level this season. Hossa and Burish are out for big chunks and Skille has to be the next guy in line when a top 9 forward goes down (again, I don't think you play Jack as a 4th liner at this point). I know Versteeg, Bolland, and Brouwer have missed practice time with an assortment of ailments and nicks this week and the other given in the NHL is that players will get hurt for every team. Long term, the Hawks have 8 forwards on the roster that are either UFA's or RFA's after the season. They need to resign Toews, Kane, and Keith to major pay raises which will result in having to let others go. There should be 2 or 3 spots at forward next year in Chicago that need to be filled on the cheap (young players on their first or second contract) of which I think Skille is one of the candidates with 3 or 4 other kids in the system. I also would not be shocked to see Skille packaged at the deadline to try to fill whatever holes the Hawks have at that point leading into the playoffs.

Comment

RE: Pavelski...he's actually out 2-4 with a "lower body injury."

RE: Skille...whenever he's played at the NHL level, the one thing I notice about him is he seems to play out of control - tears up and down the ice, blowing by people, flying into the corners or around the net - but he just seems to have very little "hockey sense" if you will. At least that's been my observation. I think he clearly has the skills to be a decent top 3 line player, but he's got some learning to do.

Comment

Has their been any mention of TV coverage for this season? Has Fox Sports completely dumped coverage? TV 14? It seems by now the schedule is usually updated on the uw site. Hasn't been much coverage anyways lately for road games, which is what I want to see, although will have to miss the New Hampshire series this year. Don't normal people check the hockey schedule before planning a wedding

Comment

Line combos from practice:

Andy Bohmbach-Blake Geoffrion-Patrick Johnson
                Aaron Bendickson-Sean Dolan-Ben Grotting
                Jordy Murray-Derek Stepan-Craig Smith
                John Mitchell-Ben Street-Podge Turnbull
                Keegan Meuer-Matt Thurber-Michael Davies

>I think Geoffrion needs a goal scorer on one side.
                >The Dolan line is a solid 4th line, not much scoring talent there.
                >I really like the Stephan line.
                >Street's line should have Davies in place of Turnbull, or bump Davies up to Geoffrion's line and move Johnson to Street's line.
                >Too bad a guy like Thurber is stuck centering the 5th, but there's no one else to bump @ center, except maybe switch him and Dolan. Eaves sure does like Dolan a lot. When he got signed so late in the game we all were like "Why him?" I would say Thurber has way more upside than Dolan.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

BTW, watching the Kings and Sharks and Drewiske is getting good minutes. I always liked him and am glad to see him make it. Heatley and Pavelski playing too!
                  pretty sure pavelski didn't play last night, he is out for at least 2 weeks after taking a slap shot off the foot. Heatley looks like he is finding his way out there with the tying goal and 2 assists last night. wish him all the best in San Jose, i hope he has a big year so he can shut all the nut jobs in canada that gave him a hard time all summer. Where was the media all over kessel when he refused to sign with Boston??? hmmmm interesting...

Get well soon pav...
                  The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Line combos from practice:

Andy Bohmbach-Blake Geoffrion-Patrick Johnson
                    Aaron Bendickson-Sean Dolan-Ben Grotting
                    Jordy Murray-Derek Stepan-Craig Smith
                    John Mitchell-Ben Street-Podge Turnbull
                    Keegan Meuer-Matt Thurber-Michael Davies

>I think Geoffrion needs a goal scorer on one side.
                    >The Dolan line is a solid 4th line, not much scoring talent there.
                    >I really like the Stephan line.
                    >Street's line should have Davies in place of Turnbull, or bump Davies up to Geoffrion's line and move Johnson to Street's line.
                    >Too bad a guy like Thurber is stuck centering the 5th, but there's no one else to bump @ center, except maybe switch him and Dolan. Eaves sure does like Dolan a lot. When he got signed so late in the game we all were like "Why him?" I would say Thurber has way more upside than Dolan.
                    1.) I don't think those lines are in any specific order
                    2.) Grotting is needed on a top line for his defensive ability to shut town the oppositions top scorers and his sick nasty ability to forecheck like an animal.
                    3.) A lot of people like Dolan, he reminds the staff of an Adam Burish but may not have the speed adam does..
                    4.) Its time Podge turnbull is put with some top playmakers to see what he is made of, this is a big year for him and its hard to see what the kid has offensively when he's on the grinding line all the time, i know Podge has put in the time in the offseason and last year was a little bit of a reality check for him so its time to see what the kids got. he still will have to earn ice time however...
                    The Quest For 7

Comment

How did L.A. look overall? Anyone or anything really stick out? I'm a Kings fan, but living in Minnesota, don't see much of them. I know we blew a 4-0 lead and then had to hang on by the skin of our teeth, but hey... as a longtime Kings fan, I'll take ANY win over San Jose!
                      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                        How did L.A. look overall? Anyone or anything really stick out? I'm a Kings fan, but living in Minnesota, don't see much of them. I know we blew a 4-0 lead and then had to hang on by the skin of our teeth, but hey... as a longtime Kings fan, I'll take ANY win over San Jose!
                        They looked fine, but IMO SJ just played really bad, and had almost no goaltending. The GWG was a fluke from the corner that should never be given up.

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
                          Where was the media all over kessel when he refused to sign with Boston??? hmmmm interesting.
                          Why would the media jump on it? If they jumped on every contract dispute, the sports section would be 10 pages. Besides, there are 2 sides to every story, dude. Phil didn't "flat-out" refuse to sign with BOS. The Bruins were below what the Kessel team thought he was worth. BOS didn't think he was worth 4 Mil, but "Tronno" gave him 5.4 Mil.

It was a new concept called *ne-go-ti-a-tion*. Trust me - look it up.

I was following a few Bruins boards this summer to get reaction; there were PLENTY of Kessel threads on EVERY Bruin board during the off season. At one point on the HF boards-Boston, there was one entire Kessel page.

This is the Badger thread, my bad, but I had to break the rules and respond to a certain post. Slap my peepee. Nevermore.
                          Last edited by MadCityRich; 10-07-2009, 02:47 PM.
                          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/.../wcha-preview/

I know its inch, they talk about the WCHA like MSNBC talks about Sarah Palin, negative all the time but now i think its time to put into question there knowledge. St Cloud State #2????????????
                            The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
                              pretty sure pavelski didn't play last night, he is out for at least 2 weeks after taking a slap shot off the foot. Heatley looks like he is finding his way out there with the tying goal and 2 assists last night. wish him all the best in San Jose, i hope he has a big year so he can shut all the nut jobs in canada that gave him a hard time all summer. Where was the media all over kessel when he refused to sign with Boston??? hmmmm interesting...

Get well soon pav...
                              Yeah, I realized he wasn't in after I posted but didn't want to pick up the computer any more.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                                Hard to get a read on them on the two periods I saw as they got some soft goals on Nabokov who didn't look good and then like you said had to hold on.

Drewiske got buried at one point and his team mates came flying to his defense which evidently is a good sign for that team coz didn't show toughness or unity last year?

Comment

Working...
                                X