Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    Haha, I got called out on the MN thread for calling UW's blueline this year "One for the Ages" and apparently its being called out for one of the most preposterous statements in USCHO history.
    I don't think anyone would accuse Gopher fans of being the most objective of people. State of hockey and all...

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      I don't see Rico leaving his alma mater.
      Especially not now since he knows he can win there.

WHOA! Respectfully, are you kidding?

Let's weigh the options:
      Madison, WI vs Oxford OH.

6 National ChampionChips vs Zero point Zero.

University of Wisconsin vs Miami of Ohio.

WCHA vs CCHA .

Kohl Center 15,500 for hockey vs Goggin 3200 for hockey.

SCOREBOARD!!!! -- INGLORIOUS BADGERS
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Blasi would take the UW job. It might take some "extra" negotiation, but Blasi knows that UW is a big time job and one of the top jobs in all of college hockey. While Oxford, OH is a great town, great college atmosphere, and is on a nice run, I think he'd opt out.

Turris and Schroeder are comparable talents. However, I think Schroeder used his noodle and stayed in school to not only improve his skills, but to give himself an extra year of physical development as well. I give him a lot of credit for not being swayed by the money. The second year was very beneficial for Dany Heatley, and Heatley was physically ready to handle NHL rigors after his frosh season.

Turris, with some scoring ability around him, has monster years at UW. Water under the bridge...

Lee is going to play. Once he settles in, I think he'll play. It looks like Craig Smith is going to get a lot of ice time, based on current play. We'll see how this shakes out.

I think I'd like to see Ramage redshirt with Gardiner, Smith, Golobeuf, McDonagh, Schultz, Johnson, Springer, and Little in the mix.

Wisconsin Hockey: Alma Mater So What?
        "When you say WIS-CONSIN, you've said it all."

Comment

Originally posted by joeyv View Post
          Blasi would take the UW job. It might take some "extra" negotiation, but Blasi knows that UW is a big time job and one of the top jobs in all of college hockey. While Oxford, OH is a great town, great college atmosphere, and is on a nice run, I think he'd opt out.

Turris and Schroeder are comparable talents. However, I think Schroeder used his noodle and stayed in school to not only improve his skills, but to give himself an extra year of physical development as well. I give him a lot of credit for not being swayed by the money. The second year was very beneficial for Dany Heatley, and Heatley was physically ready to handle NHL rigors after his frosh season.

Turris, with some scoring ability around him, has monster years at UW. Water under the bridge...

Lee is going to play. Once he settles in, I think he'll play. It looks like Craig Smith is going to get a lot of ice time, based on current play. We'll see how this shakes out.

I think I'd like to see Ramage redshirt with Gardiner, Smith, Golobeuf, McDonagh, Schultz, Johnson, Springer, and Little in the mix.

Wisconsin Hockey: Alma Mater So What?
          Eaves' plan is to redshirt Mitch Thompson, which I think is stupid. Ramage would be a better choice, or even Keegan Meuer, someone who can contribute later w/ the extra year.

Glad Mitch is on the team, but I when the dust settles, I don't see him as anything more than a 3rd string goalie. That is one area of concern in recruiting, w/ no goalie in the pipeline.
          Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
          Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
          Originally posted by UWisco
          It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
            Glad Mitch is on the team, but I when the dust settles, I don't see him as anything more than a 3rd string goalie. That is one area of concern in recruiting, w/ no goalie in the pipeline.
            I am concerned about goal tending in the future as well. From what I'm hearing, we're good to go for 2 years.

I haven't noticed anything on the recruiting thread and my goalie pipeline is dry. I see other schools getting quality 'tenders; I hope our days of "Goaltender University" didn't go by the wayside when Howie left.
            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Eaves' plan is to redshirt Mitch Thompson, which I think is stupid. Ramage would be a better choice, or even Keegan Meuer, someone who can contribute later w/ the extra year.

I was actually going to suggest they redshirt Little or Springer. Both have a very similiar skill-set, neither is a offensive minded or defensive minded d-man, more of a balanced type. One of them is going to be the 9th man in the rotation. So why not? Ramage is a defensive minded guy which is sorely needed with this group so I don't see him sitting this season. Mauer definitely needs to redshirt IMO.

Gandalf, I respect you're opinion, but I don't know why you consider redshirting Thompson stupid. He's not going to play this season so what's the harm. He's a walk-on so it's not like he's jamming up the scholarship situation down the road. If anyone remembers awhile ago redshirt walk-on senior Jake Soper had to play significant minutes when Melanson got hurt and Valley went pro and did quite well. Pretty sure he won both games he started.

Regarding Blasi. I think it all depends on what Blasi wants. Does he want a big payday or job security? Right now he's a king at Miami, he turned the program around and was seconds away from their first NCAA championship. He could probably go .500 for ten years and he would still have a job there. Whereas he could go to UW get 3x more pay, but eventually could get booted after 3 years if he doesn't preform. It's very similiar to Barry turning down the Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Miami-U job offers. He took job complacency over money. I'd rather have a bigger fish than a coach that is just "hot" right now. I believe Jeff Jackson can be had for the right price. Would love to have Don Granato as well.
              Last edited by sweatpants; 10-03-2009, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
                I was actually going to suggest they redshirt Little or Springer. Both have a very similiar skill-set, neither is a offensive minded or defensive minded d-man, more of a balanced type. One of them is going to be the 9th man in the rotation. So why not? Ramage is a defensive minded guy which is sorely needed with this group so I don't see him sitting this season. Mauer definitely needs to redshirt IMO.

Gandalph, I respect you're opinion, but I don't know why you consider redshirting Thompson stupid. He's not going to play this season so what's the harm. He's a walk-on so it's not like he's jamming up the scholarship situation down the road. If anyone remembers awhile ago redshirt walk-on senior Jake Soper had to play significant minutes when Melanson got hurt and Valley went pro and did quite well. Pretty sure he won both games he started.

Regarding Blasi. I think it all depends on what Blasi wants. Does he want a big payday or job security? Right now he's a king at Miami, he turned the program around and was seconds away from their first NCAA championship. He could probably go .500 for ten years and he would still have a job there. Whereas he could go to UW get 3x more pay, but eventually could get booted after 3 years if he doesn't preform. It's very similiar to Barry turning down the Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Miami-U job offers. He took job complacency over money. I'd rather have a bigger fish than a coach that is just "hot" right now. I believe Jeff Jackson can be had for the right price. Would love to have Don Granato as well.
                The reason I think it's stupid is that I'm pretty sure the team only gets ONE redshirt. So, if you have only one redshirt why spend it on a guy who will likely never be much more than a 3rd string goalie.

Now if you (assuming you are Eaves) have one redshirt, and your options are Meuer, Ramage or Thompson (or someone else) who would you use it on? If the Badgers could redshirt multiple players, than I'd agree w/ you.

It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

UW has a goalie coach now, and a good one....Jeff Sanger. Now I can sleep at night.

Anyone else think Gary Shuchuck would have been a strange choice?
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

WHOA! Respectfully, are you kidding?

Let's weigh the options:
                    Madison, WI vs Oxford OH.

6 National ChampionChips vs Zero point Zero.

University of Wisconsin vs Miami of Ohio.

WCHA vs CCHA .

Kohl Center 15,500 for hockey vs Goggin 3200 for hockey.

SCOREBOARD!!!! -- INGLORIOUS BADGERS
                    Alma mater vs not
                    Great job security already vs not so much.

All depends on what the guy wants I suppose.
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

The reason I think it's stupid is that I'm pretty sure the team only gets ONE redshirt. So, if you have only one redshirt why spend it on a guy who will likely never be much more than a 3rd string goalie.
                      Not sure where you heard that, but that can't be correct. Pretty sure you could basically redshirt as many players as you want just as long you could field a team.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
                        Not sure where you heard that, but that can't be correct. Pretty sure you could basically redshirt as many players as you want just as long you could field a team.
                        I remember this from when Ben Street was looking at the medical redshirt, Baggot or someone mentioned that a team can have one medical RS and one "regular" RS in any given season.

If I'm wrong, then my opinion is born out of memory of reading this information.

Anyone out there actually know 100% what the answer is?

Comment

So in the scrimmage last week Bennett gave up 6 goals, Gunner gave up 0. Advantage Gunner.

Bomber has a hattrick, which I will say in one way is a suprise, but yet Bennett was giving up rebounds and Bomber is a net crasher, so that fits his m-o, assuming he scored a couple on the rebound.

Wisonsin Hockey: Is it Friday yet?
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

http://www.wcha.com/schools/wis/wis-...0-preview.html
                            The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
                              Beware, thats what we thought about Kyle Turris in Madison, thats working out well???...
                              No... that's what you thought about Kyle Turris. I never drank the Turris Kool-Aid and thought he'd be just another WCHA forward. Schroeder is pretty special. Let's put it this way... he's the first Gopher I've ever gone into an NHL Draft hoping my team would draft.

Originally posted by joeyv View Post
                              The blue line talent is undeniable
                              ...unless you're Harley

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              I love you man.
                              I.... love you too?
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I noticed skille once again starting the season in Rockford, what is going on with that guy... is he going to be as big of an NHL flop as turris???? Maybe its the organizations but i find it hard to believe he can't make the team with both Hossa and Burish out...
                                The Quest For 7

Comment

Working...
                                X