Boston College Women's Hockey '10: Thunstromian Dominance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Women's Hockey '10: Thunstromian Dominance

What a huge (conference) win for BC. Every time I get down on this team they surprise me.

That was a GIGANTIC two points. They played great, it was probably one of their best efforts of the season.

The team game is getting there, but has to be worked on.

Welchie is my hero. She is a GAMER if I ever saw one.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Big, big win, too bad I had to miss it to go to work :'(.

I love how this team is gutting out conference wins.
      BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
      -
      Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

It was a very good game last night, I wish more people had turned out to see it at Conte. BC killing off those two penalties in a row was a momentum changer I think. I saw both teams play UConn this year and their meeting seemed to go as expected. Hard fought game.

Didn't realize they played Brass Bonanza, as a Whalers fan I approve.

Comment

Schaus and Stack officially named to the Olympic team:

http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/w-ho...121809aab.html

Also, who the heck gave BC a vote in the polls?!

Comment

For some reason, Mike didn't deem this cool enough to post in the women's thread:

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...70#post4525470

Nice to see our Alums doing some cool stuff!

I miss Wieds.

Comment

Ugh. Not a great way to start the second half.

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

I thought BC played pretty well but once again was unable to get a result. I'm more concerned with performance than results in these non-conference games, though.

Five minutes of defensive failure for both teams defined this game, but the other 55 minutes I thought BC was the slightly better team. I was especially impressed by the W's - Walsh and Welch. Caitlin Walsh was impressive with her speed and stickhandling ability. She also always seems to be in the right position.

While it wasn't exactly clockwork out there, I also thought BC played a better *team* game than they had in many games this year. They weren't just aiming for Allie (or whoever) on a breakaway, they were actually setting up in the zone and making things happen.

Bolden uncorked a few really good wristers from the point that with a little luck and maybe a tip or two could have ended up in the back of the net. She took two penalties again. One of them was legit - a bad boarding penalty in the first few minutes - but the other was a poor call, when a Yalie crashed into her and then fell down. Overall, Bolden still deserves credit for playing a good game. She's getting better at picking her spots to join the rush - a few times earlier this year, she'd make a contribution offensively but be out of position on D. That's not really happening anymore.

Biggest game of the year to date tomorrow night @ Matthews. It should be a good one.
                -

Comment

I almost made a smart-ass comment about how bu tied the 2nd worst team in the country last night, and then I realized that BC tied the 5th worst team in the country on Saturday.

Comment

Prediction: BC ties NU and wins the shootout
                    -

Comment

Still a lot of games left, but here's how I see the season shaking out:

0) The Incomparable Jackie Thode (though just barely)
                      1) UNH

2) BC/NU winner
                      3) PC
                      4) BC/NU loser
                      5) BU
                      6) UC
                      7) Maine

8) Vermont
                      Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                      Prediction: BC ties NU and wins the shootout
                      If there is a tie of any kind in the BC/NU game I'd put UNH, NU, BC, PC as the top 4, regardless of the shootout winner.
                      Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 01-11-2010, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                        Still a lot of games left, but here's how I see the season shaking out:

0) The Incomparable Jackie Thode (though just barely)
                        1) UNH

2) BC/NU winner
                        3) PC
                        4) BC/NU loser
                        5) BU
                        6) UC
                        7) Maine

8) Vermont

If there is a tie of any kind in the BC/NU game I'd put UNH, NU, BC, PC as the top 4, regardless of the shootout winner.
                        Maybe I'm skeptical but I think NU is still learning what it's like to be winners. Ya know? When you start winning when you're so used to losing...it's as hard as an adjustment as struggling when you're not used to it. Unfortunately I don't think NU will finish top 2; maybe 3-4. But hey, I hope I'm wrong.

Tonight's game is a huge game, no doubt about it. I would be surprised if it was more than a 1-2 goal difference. NU's gonna be fired up after blowing the UNH game on Friday.

Comment

Ick.

47ish minutes of really fun, entertaining, back-and-forth hockey, then 13 or so that I'd very much like to forget.

While we all anticipated and understood that the team would go through some struggles this season, I don't think it's unfair to say at this point that they're underachieving a little bit.

The best way to put it is that right now, the whole is less than the sum of the parts. Beyond Thunstrom, who's one of the best players in Hockey East, BC has several forwards who would qualify as top-6 forwards on any team in HE save UNH. They also have at least two if not more defenders who'd be top-4 dmen on any team in the league, plus two quality goalies.

Northeastern is a really good team, but BC has plenty of ties and losses to teams that on paper, they have no business dropping points against.

The shootout wins kept them above water during their first half struggles, but they're going to have to swim a little better in the second half if it's going to matter.

When the game got tough in the third period, BC stopped playing with the quality teamwork we saw in the first two periods. They went back to no-look passes and praying for breakaways and individuals dangling through three defenders. Coach King needs to address that problem and get them playing as a team for 60 minutes.

The Huskies, btw, deserve to be lauded for outskating BC and earning the win. They're a very good team and they looked hungry from the outset tonight. Both teams came into the game with the intensity warranted for such a critical matchup, which showed itself in the chippiness throughout the game.
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                            Ick.

47ish minutes of really fun, entertaining, back-and-forth hockey, then 13 or so that I'd very much like to forget.

While we all anticipated and understood that the team would go through some struggles this season, I don't think it's unfair to say at this point that they're underachieving a little bit.

The best way to put it is that right now, the whole is less than the sum of the parts. Beyond Thunstrom, who's one of the best players in Hockey East, BC has several forwards who would qualify as top-6 forwards on any team in HE save UNH. They also have at least two if not more defenders who'd be top-4 dmen on any team in the league, plus two quality goalies.

Northeastern is a really good team, but BC has plenty of ties and losses to teams that on paper, they have no business dropping points against.

The shootout wins kept them above water during their first half struggles, but they're going to have to swim a little better in the second half if it's going to matter.

When the game got tough in the third period, BC stopped playing with the quality teamwork we saw in the first two periods. They went back to no-look passes and praying for breakaways and individuals dangling through three defenders. Coach King needs to address that problem and get them playing as a team for 60 minutes.

The Huskies, btw, deserve to be lauded for outskating BC and earning the win. They're a very good team and they looked hungry from the outset tonight. Both teams came into the game with the intensity warranted for such a critical matchup, which showed itself in the chippiness throughout the game.
                            Listening to what you are saying I have to assume (and I hate to assume because....you know why) that you are saying the Coaching has to get better. You are telling us that they have most of the ingredients but.......
                            "Keep your head up, and your stick on the ice."

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyTeacher View Post
                              (and I hate to assume because....you know why)
                              It leads to assumptions?
                              113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

I'm not saying any particular thing is causing BC's problems. I don't think it's fair to blame players, coaches, or leadership unless you actually are there with the team and understand sort of the dynamic of what's going on in the locker room. I'm just saying that from my perspective, having watched pretty much every game this year, I know they can play better than this - and I'm sure they know it too.

I feel like St. Lawrence is going to bring out the best in BC this week. They always seem to play SLU tough. Then hopefully it carries over into conference play.
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X