Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Women's Hockey '10: Thunstromian Dominance

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
    Its also obvious that both Restuccia and Welch need to step it up. These are both girls with just as much breakaway potential as the Thunderstrike.
    I have to disagree. Both are playing well, but do not have the warp speed (few do) that Miss Thunstrom possesses.

Comment

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
      Its also obvious that both Restuccia and Welch need to step it up. These are both girls with just as much breakaway potential as the Thunderstrike. I'm guessing they're getting caught up in transition....which goes back to the defensive strategy, which is another redundant topic with this team, and as always, the best offense starts with the best defense.
      I don't think I can disagree with this post more. Welch is, perhaps, the unsung hero of this team. This single biggest problem this team has is consistently breaking out of the zone. They work d to d and pass up the boards, only to have the puck either passed or skated back below the line by the wings. This partially explains why they are consistently outshot. Welch and Restuccia have been two exceptions to this. Both move well on the boards, creating space and clear the zone, often with strong tape to tape passes. Both are more power forward types, efficiently forechecking and passing to create opportunities for others. To suggest that they should bring the same game to the rink as Allie is wrong. This team has plenty to work on and has its share of problems, but Welch and Restuccia aren't among them.

Comment

Rstarr, I don't agree. Individually, these girls are giving a very strong effort.

I've been to a few BC games this year. I've also seen UMD and Mercyhurst, and watched Cornell via internet. For all three of these teams I just mentioned, there was more continuity in the flow not only during the breakout but they had many solid and sustained offensive zone possessions. Folks I've talked to who have seen Clarkson this year say the same; that it's pretty how they seem to dominate possession and move it as a team.

I'll admit I'm not watching close enough to critically determine why BC hasn't been able to bring that same possessive dominance, but what I do know is that they haven't. They just haven't. It's not pretty, it's not smooth, and it's certainly not dominant. I definitely don't think you can fairly single out one or two players either. It's a team thing. Everyone is working hard individually, and there's plenty of talent on the ice. They just don't seem to be in synch. The roller coaster of inconsistent results speaks volumes for this.

Perhaps it's the newbies getting acclamated?
        Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by Padstack View Post
          I don't think I can disagree with this post more. Welch is, perhaps, the unsung hero of this team. This single biggest problem this team has is consistently breaking out of the zone. They work d to d and pass up the boards, only to have the puck either passed or skated back below the line by the wings. This partially explains why they are consistently outshot. Welch and Restuccia have been two exceptions to this. Both move well on the boards, creating space and clear the zone, often with strong tape to tape passes. Both are more power forward types, efficiently forechecking and passing to create opportunities for others. To suggest that they should bring the same game to the rink as Allie is wrong. This team has plenty to work on and has its share of problems, but Welch and Restuccia aren't among them.

I absolutely agree with you on this. Welsh stood out in the games against Clarkson. She has speed, grit, and plays much bigger than her size. Restuccia is just a down right good, hard, working player on both ends of the ice.
          GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

I didn't say that Welch and Restuccia aren't contributing or working hard or whatever, I said they need to step it up. Despite what Hux thinks, I think Restuccia has great speed and I'm hoping her breakaways aren't limited to the NAHA days of the past. I guess I worded my thoughts wrong, but what I am trying to say is that I see both Welch and Restuccia having as much potential as Thunstrom, especially when it comes to goal scoring. These two should develop into the best players BC has over the next few seasons. Perhaps they are having to be the play makers when they should be the goal scorers and its others who need to step up and be playmakers.

Just brainstorming ways BC can be more productive. I still think the D lacks strategy and the offense suffers....or that both lack strategy. BC should keep it scrummy if this pattern persists.
            Last edited by RStarr; 11-17-2009, 09:22 PM.
            (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Stooch is the flashiest player on the team not named Allie Thunstrom. If there's one player who is THIS CLOSE to exploding with points, it's Stooch, followed closely by Motherwell.

Joe and I have been saying since the very beginning of last year how Welch is probably one of our most solid all-around players, but far less flashy than, say, Stooch. That's not a bad thing, it's just the style of the players.

Walsh is another player who has emerged as a consistently solid player - good at everything but not stunning at anything. And that's a compliment, I love those types of players. The epitome of that for BC was Deb Spillane, who over my four years seemed like the most solid BC player I've seen. But, not the flashiest player ever.
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Deb Spillane was the rock on which modern BC hockey took it's step to the next level. Walsh has been very promising, but she's not quite there yet.

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

Three of the last four games were shutouts. Any predictions on the battle of Comm. Ave. tonight. Hux, are you planning to attend the thumping of UNH in a couple of weeks? Can you clear your camera with security this time?

Comment

Breakout of the D zone, and sustaining possession, has been a weakness of BC for all four years I've been watching them. Even the two years they were a top 10 team they were repeatedly heavily outshot and had trouble breaking out of the zone.

I think that will improve as this year goes on just because the crop of D-men are so young and talented.
                    BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                    -
                    Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by gotice View Post
                      I absolutely agree with you on this. Welsh stood out in the games against Clarkson. She has speed, grit, and plays much bigger than her size. Restuccia is just a down right good, hard, working player on both ends of the ice.
                      Walsh is small, isn't Welch bigger? Are you mixing them up? I was impressed with Welch and I think Walsh is going to find her niche. She's quick and smart, she just needs to break out. She will, lets face it she's used to competing in every aspect of her life with 9 sibs.
                      Last edited by rinkrat890890; 11-18-2009, 08:25 AM. Reason: to add more about welch.

Comment

Three of the last four games were shutouts. Any predictions on the battle of Comm. Ave. tonight. Hux, are you planning to attend the thumping of UNH in a couple of weeks? Can you clear your camera with security this time?
                        Such a potty mouth
                        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by rinkrat890890 View Post
                          Walsh is small, isn't Welch bigger? Are you mixing them up?
                          I'm mixing them up, and I don't even know what they look like
                          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                            Such a potty mouth
                            Haha, you're funny!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              Stooch is the flashiest player on the team not named Allie Thunstrom. If there's one player who is THIS CLOSE to exploding with points, it's Stooch, followed closely by Motherwell.

Joe and I have been saying since the very beginning of last year how Welch is probably one of our most solid all-around players, but far less flashy than, say, Stooch. That's not a bad thing, it's just the style of the players.

Walsh is another player who has emerged as a consistently solid player - good at everything but not stunning at anything. And that's a compliment, I love those types of players. The epitome of that for BC was Deb Spillane, who over my four years seemed like the most solid BC player I've seen. But, not the flashiest player ever.
                              Okay, who is Stooch? I think I missed that post!

Comment

Originally posted by rinkrat890890 View Post
                                Okay, who is Stooch? I think I missed that post!
                                Stooch = Restuccia. It was never mentioned in a post lol, it's just a nickname.
                                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                                X