Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Women's Hockey '10: Thunstromian Dominance

Originally posted by vellnueve View Post
    an offense executing proper passing and setting up better chances will score more than 2.00 goals per game.
    Thank you, John Madden.

It's obviously not as easy as "oh, hey, guys, why don't we start executing proper passes, and, just for kicks, let's set up some better chances while we're at it, kthx."
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
      I have a weird outlook for this season because I think BC will undoubtedly be much better in the second half, but their second half schedule is ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL in terms of level of competition, from Minnesota-Duluth onward almost every game is against a good team. Crazy.

I think this team ultimately settles into ~4th place when March comes, which I'd be happy with, hosting in the first round of HEA. I think that's a reasonable goal right now.
      Teams usually rise to the occasion and play better against better teams. Let's hope.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Thank you, John Madden.

It's obviously not as easy as "oh, hey, guys, why don't we start executing proper passes, and, just for kicks, let's set up some better chances while we're at it, kthx."
        And scrums are not good chances.

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

I think what Grant is saying is that they're not consciously deciding, 'let's not make great passes and awesome set-ups and get prime scoring chances,' as though it was a switch they could flip on.
          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
          -
          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

In that post, sure. But in his previous post:

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            If we're getting shots on net and crashing for rebounds, it may not be a pretty strategy but it will pot some pucks.
            This sounds very much like saying that since it's getting BC two goals a game, keep doing it. I really think that they need to focus more on setting up their plays rather than just dumping and chasing, and trying to slop some goals up in front of the net. A few good goals and it may encourage the younger forwards (read: everyone but Thunstrom) to start executing those plays with more confidence that they'll net results. This team can do better than fourth. Much better. Now's the time, while we still have some OOC games to play.

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
              I think what Grant is saying is that they're not consciously deciding, 'let's not make great passes and awesome set-ups and get prime scoring chances,' as though it was a switch they could flip on.
              Correct.
              This sounds very much like saying that since it's getting BC two goals a game, keep doing it.
              You know as well as I do that our two goals per game are each coming, more often than not, from a Thunstrom breakaway. I'm not even being sarcastic.
              I really think that they need to focus more on setting up their plays rather than just dumping and chasing, and trying to slop some goals up in front of the net. A few good goals and it may encourage the younger forwards (read: everyone but Thunstrom) to start executing those plays with more confidence that they'll net results. This team can do better than fourth. Much better. Now's the time
              See Joe's post that I quoted above.

I stand by what I said. If we're not making the tick-tac-toe passes setting up easy goals, I am more than happy throwing the pucks on net and crashing for rebounds. You might not LIKE it as a strategy, and it might not be a PRETTY strategy, but it will, in fact, put some pucks in the net. I see no problem with our lower couple lines doing this on a regular basis. None whatsoever. If you're getting pucks to the net, good things are going to happen. When we finally threw some pucks on net, we got 3 more goals. Not a total of 2. And I don't mean just shot it from wherever, getting a hard shot in the air is going to result in some rebounds, opportunities for tip-ins, straight-up goals (these aren't NHL goalies here, they're going to let in a lot of sieveys) and, yes, scrums.

BC 1 GW Allie Thunstrom (8) (Katelyn Kurth)
              This was an Allie breakaway.
              BC 2 PP Caitlin Walsh (2) (Allison Szlosek)
              I believe this one was the scrum. Which was the result of a shot that left a rebound.
              BC 3 EV Danielle Welch (2) (unassisted)
              If I remember this one right this was a high, hard, Chara-esque roofshot.
              BC 4 EV Kristina Brown (2) (Blake Bolden, Allison Szlosek)
              A great, high shot from Bolden tipped in by Brown.

4 goals, an Allie breakaway, and 3 goals that were not the result of "pretty passing."
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Vell,

What crawled up your *** that you had to find a post of mine from 2007, that was not in any way inflammatory, just to send me a neg rep?
                113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Congrats to Ms. Boyles. Great achievement as Co-Rookie Player of the Week!

BAUER CO-ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
                  CORINNE BOYLES - BOSTON COLLEGE
                  Freshman Goaltender; Wheaton, Ill.

Boyles helped lift the Eagles to a 4-0 win over Connecticut on Sunday, turning aside all 42 shots she faced on the day.

Comment

What? I haven't repped anyone in a while. What post was it?

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

What? I haven't repped anyone in a while. What post was it?
                      Top of my rep list...at 11-17-2009 02:00 PM:

http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=352

The comment on the rep was:

You need to work on being less of a tool. -vellnueve
                      If it wasn't you (I don't have Extra), then someone is signing reps with your handle.
                      113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Not me... I surely haven't repped anyone today.

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
                          Top of my rep list...at 11-17-2009 02:00 PM:

http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=352

The comment on the rep was:

If it wasn't you (I don't have Extra), then someone is signing reps with your handle.
                          It might be fun spending the $15.00 or so to find out who!

Comment

BC hasn't ever really been known to be the finesse-type passers. I'd say in their case, the scrummier, the better. Clean up those rebounds girls!
                            (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Id also like to point out that the majority of the teams this past weekend who won, were grossly outshot yet ended up winning by rather high tallys. Just get the puck in the net.

In other words, Grant wins.
                              (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Its also obvious that both Restuccia and Welch need to step it up. These are both girls with just as much breakaway potential as the Thunderstrike. I'm guessing they're getting caught up in transition....which goes back to the defensive strategy, which is another redundant topic with this team, and as always, the best offense starts with the best defense.
                                (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Working...
                                X