Boston College Women's Hockey '10: Thunstromian Dominance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Women's Hockey '10: Thunstromian Dominance

It was a good game between QU and BC. Both teams were competitive. ECAC Hockey and Hockey East are the two best women's D1 hockey leagues in nation. The Quinnipiac and Boston College women both have very good teams. Whereas, the #18 Quinnipiac men would crush the Boston College men's team.

Comment

Originally posted by thermopylae78 View Post
      ECAC Hockey and Hockey East are the two best women's D1 hockey leagues in nation.
      Eastern bias.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by thermopylae78 View Post
        ECAC Hockey and Hockey East are the two best women's D1 hockey leagues in nation.
        ...lol
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

For those that were there, can you relate why the team is struggling to score? 30 or so shots would normally produce a 3 goal game. What is happening that they can't put the puck in the net. Seems like the defensive/goaltending effort is good, if not excellent. What do they need to do to put more biscuits in the basket?

Comment

In the two games I've seen, the goalies were both good, but not many of the shots are very high quality scoring chances (and most of those are from Thunstrom).

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

Regarding BC scoring, I have to agree. I've seen several games and the quality of shots that BC gets tends to be pretty low. The goalies at this level are just too good to be trying to beat them from outside of close range.

For comparison purposes (and I know this is not very scientific), I quickly went through the women's scores posted on uscho. Beginning the week of October 2 I looked at each game (I removed scores that were exhibition and sacred heart games) and I came up with the following:

1. In 54 games, a total of 240 goals were scored generating an average of 4.44 goals per game or 2.22 goal per game per team.

2. Looking at BC, I believe they have played 6 games and scored 13 goals for an average of 2.16 goals per game. Interestingly, BC has allowed 16 goals in the 6 games for an average of 2.66 goals per game.

With this said, I think the numbers support that BC is slightly behind the pack on both offense and defense and as a result their record of 1win 2losses and 3ties is just about right. As mentioned in previous posts, the beginning of the BC season schedule has not been that tough, so the question will be can this younger team gain the strength, discipline and team work to begin to turn it on. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Padstack View Post
                For those that were there, can you relate why the team is struggling to score? 30 or so shots would normally produce a 3 goal game. What is happening that they can't put the puck in the net. Seems like the defensive/goaltending effort is good, if not excellent. What do they need to do to put more biscuits in the basket?
                From what I have seen, there is a high percentage of shots from the perimeter, or shots that the goalie is seeing clearly. There also doesn't seem to be the frequency of breakaway layups (a Stack specialty) that we've seen the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                  That's all well and good, but what is our goal for the season? Win some hardware, right?

The only way that's going to happen is for us to win the conference championship and go from there. The non-conference games are no more than exhibition games.

This sounds more like you're writing off the season than anything I've said, along with the Stack & Schaus comment later.

This is such an unfair bu11$#!+ statement. I'm not even going to bother with the second part of it. Serious question: When did I ever say anything that suggested I'm writing off the season?

I honestly do not give two $#!+$ about us being a spoiler team. I want us to be a factor to win a trophy, be it national or conference, and not be a team that's already out of it where our only chance for respect in the season is by getting lucky and knocking off a good team.

Hip, hip, hooray. I want to win something THIS YEAR, Mr. "It-sounds-like-you're-writing-off-the-season-already."

And the plain and simple truth of the matter is that is going to have to come from the conference tournament forward.

I want at least a conference championship this year so bad it hurts. And it especially hurts because I'm seeing us lose so many of these games against teams we would have beaten easily last year.

One more thing: Don't even BEGIN to paint me as someone who doesn't care about the season. We've followed the team for 4 years, and you know as well as I do that it's easily one of the top 3 things that has defined our college careers. We're both seniors, but, unlike you, chances are I won't be around to watch more than one or two games next year.

The success of this year's team matters more to me than I think even you, Joe, can quite understand. Remember how upset I was when we lost the conference championship last year? That's going to be nothing compared to how I'm going to feel after our last game this year if we don't win a significant trophy after coming so close all 4 years we've followed the team.

[/lecture]
                  You can still enjoy and share in the success of the team even after you graduate. It'll be OK. Plus the season has just started. Better to have a stronger second-half anyway.

Comment

Ugh. Still only one win on the season.

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

For future reference, how many points would have been earned by each team had a goal been scored in the 5 minute overtime?

Comment

2 and 0.

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

Originally posted by Bergey1 View Post
                          You can still enjoy and share in the success of the team even after you graduate. It'll be OK. Plus the season has just started. Better to have a stronger second-half anyway.
                          I live in Connecticut though... while I'll still be able to follow the team online, traveling to Boston on a regular basis is not really an option.

It's just more special following them as a student, I guess. I traded Joe a jersey signed by last year's BC men's hockey team for his 2007 Lake Placid Women's Frozen Four T-shirt because I was too depressed after we lost to buy one at the time... lol
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Nothing says you have to live in CT after you graduate.

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              I live in Connecticut though... while I'll still be able to follow the team online, traveling to Boston on a regular basis is not really an option.

It's just more special following them as a student, I guess. I traded Joe a jersey signed by last year's BC men's hockey team for his 2007 Lake Placid Women's Frozen Four T-shirt because I was too depressed after we lost to buy one at the time... lol

Soft violin music playing in the background....

Parting is such sweet sorrow

Comment

Should I amend the poll question to include "Where should TonyTheTiger20 reside after graduation" as a most frequently discussed topic on the BC Board?

See if you can get a deal on one of Madoff's Newton residences! Then you can stay right in town!
                                Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Working...
                                X