X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SNC Regular Season 2009-10

Originally posted by SNChockey View Post
    O'Brien again looked pretty solid.
    Unfortunately I don't remember enough from last year to put this in relative terms, but he impressed me with his recovery time. He goes down, whatever threat bypasses and he springs back up instantly. Demonstrated a quickness I don't remember standing out before. He also isn't one to go down for no reason, which can be postively contrasted with some goalies who you swear have their knees permanently nailed to the ice.
    “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
    19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

You are right. As far as back to back opponents on the road the two toughest are behind them. Still, the games with Scholastic and UWS at the end to the season will be no picinic (Yogi Bear).

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
      I'm pretty happy with 2 road wins, especially at River Falls early in the year before they go in the tank. If they can get a couple of wins against Scholastica in 2 weeks they will really be in the driver's seat. As far as back to back road games against the same opponent, they've gotten their 2 toughest out of the way and they got out of it unscathed.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
        Unfortunately I don't remember enough from last year to put this in relative terms, but he impressed me with his recovery time. He goes down, whatever threat bypasses and he springs back up instantly. Demonstrated a quickness I don't remember standing out before. He also isn't one to go down for no reason, which can be postively contrasted with some goalies who you swear have their knees permanently nailed to the ice.
        All good points. I think he has gotten faster at getting back up. Also, he's stopped playing the puck so much, which has helped cut down on odd-man breaks where he's not in position.

Comment

I think O'Brien's positioning has been very solid. He's squared up to the puck, hasn't panicked himself out of position when there are some bodies in front of him and the puck is hard to see, and his rebound control has been pretty solid. I appreciate the great sprawling save as much as the next guy, but when I look at some of the more casual fans around me I wonder if they realize how goalies can sometimes create their own need for a great save because their positioning was poor. It's why a guy like Kyle Jones was so outstanding. He made it look easy because he was always where he was supposed to be.
          Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
          2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
          2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
          Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

I think you are right. He is coving up the puck more and forcing more face-offs. You will also note that the defensemen are hanging back just a tick before heading up ice. All this seems to be helping.

I have a question about game DQ's. The first DQ results in a one game suspension. What is the penality for future game DQ?

Originally posted by HHFR79 View Post
            All good points. I think he has gotten faster at getting back up. Also, he's stopped playing the puck so much, which has helped cut down on odd-man breaks where he's not in position.

Comment

Originally posted by jazman View Post
              I think you are right. He is coving up the puck more and forcing more face-offs. You will also note that the defensemen are hanging back just a tick before heading up ice. All this seems to be helping.

I have a question about game DQ's. The first DQ results in a one game suspension. What is the penality for future game DQ?
              2nd DQ -- 2 games
              3rd DQ -- 3 games
              etc.
              etc.
              etc.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                2nd DQ -- 2 games
                3rd DQ -- 3 games
                etc.
                etc.
                etc.
                I don't have time to look it up, but I thought the third was it for the season.

As usual, I'm probably wrong.
                “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
                  I don't have time to look it up, but I thought the third was it for the season.

As usual, I'm probably wrong.
                  Probably

If this was NJ High School, SNC would be banned from the post-season for accumulating more than 3 DQ's in a season.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

But if it was in NJ I would assume that knives and guns would have been involved

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Probably

If this was NJ High School, SNC would be banned from the post-season for accumulating more than 3 DQ's in a season.
                    Last edited by jazman; 11-23-2009, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
                      I think O'Brien's positioning has been very solid. He's squared up to the puck, hasn't panicked himself out of position when there are some bodies in front of him and the puck is hard to see, and his rebound control has been pretty solid. I appreciate the great sprawling save as much as the next guy, but when I look at some of the more casual fans around me I wonder if they realize how goalies can sometimes create their own need for a great save because their positioning was poor. It's why a guy like Kyle Jones was so outstanding. He made it look easy because he was always where he was supposed to be.
                      It is pretty apparent that he is not going down as quickly as he did last season. Agree with the point about....more face offs. He is one of the keys to why SNC is off to their fast start this season..
                      SNC Men:
                      Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                      NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                      SNC Women:
                      O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Here what is listed in the NCAA Ice Hockey rules for disqualification:

Disqualification Penalties
                        SECTION 5. a. A disqualification penalty involves the removal of a player,
                        including a goalkeeper, for the remainder of the game plus a major
                        penalty, and may be assessed before the start of the game, during or
                        after the game.
                        When coincidental disqualification penalties are assessed against an
                        equal number of players of each team, the teams then shall be permitted
                        substitutions on the ice for the penalized players.
                        The offending player may not go to the penalty bench and may
                        not, for the duration of the penalty (including any progressive game disqualification
                        penalty), occupy any area designated or reserved for
                        players, and may not communicate or contact team personnel in any
                        manner for the duration of the disqualification penalty(s). A substitute,
                        other than a spare goalkeeper, must enter the penalty bench immediately
                        in the place of the disqualified player(s) and enter the game after the
                        five-minute penalty(s) has elapsed.
                        A player may be assessed more than one disqualification penalty in
                        a game.
                        b. The progressive game-disqualification structure shall be:
                        1. First disqualification penalty—that game plus one.
                        2. Second disqualification penalty—that game plus two.
                        3. Third disqualification penalty—that game plus three.
                        4 Fourth disqualification penalty—that game plus four.
                        (The progression shall continue after the fourth disqualification penalty.)
                        c. Progressive game-disqualification penalties shall carry over to the next
                        season for players with remaining eligibility.
                        d. The team of the disqualified player(s) shall be permitted to dress a
                        substitute player or players (equal to the number of disqualified players)
                        in the next scheduled game.
                        A player who receives a disqualification penalty in any game (including
                        exhibition games) shall not be permitted to play in the team’s next played
                        regular-season or tournament game against an NCAA member institution.
                        Exhibition games cannot be used to fulfill the disqualification penalty.

Comment

I wouldn't be to concerned, word on the street is that a big transfer is headed to the Green Knights
                          Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Originally posted by jazman View Post
                            1. First disqualification penalty—that game plus one.
                            2. Second disqualification penalty—that game plus two.
                            3. Third disqualification penalty—that game plus three.
                            4 Fourth disqualification penalty—that game plus four.
                            (The progression shall continue after the fourth disqualification penalty.)
                            Hmm, wonder why I thought it was a season suspension after the third. Maybe there is something like that in high school I mixed it up with

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                            19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by CROSBYNU63 View Post
                              I wouldn't be to concerned, word on the street is that a big transfer is headed to the Green Knights
                              Goalie or skater?

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                              19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

which one do you want
                                Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Working...
                                X