Save Uah Hockey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Save Uah Hockey!

How do you know that they are not? Did you see the end coming for North Adams State which seemed to be on strong footing back in the day too and then the arts and crafts President waved her wand and said more gimp for the art teachers and kiddies and no more hockey. Even USA Hockey considers Maryland a part of the Southeastern District.

If and when Navy gets a D1 hockey program they will join Atlantic Hockey with Airforce and Army which are members of Atlantic Hockey. Are you kidding me you are going to through in the fact that Erie is far away from Boston it's like a 1 hour flight from Buffalo to Boston give me a break. But look around the Atlantic Hockey are there pockets where teams are relatively less than three hours away from each other like Mercyhurst, Canisius, Robert Morris, Niagara and RIT. I'm sure that AIC, Bentley, Holycross, UConn Army and Sacred Heart are nowhere within two + or less hours of each other either. The only odd ball out of place geographically is Air Force.

If they are such a terrible fit name some reasons why?

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
    Hoo boy.

Annapolis, Maryland is the south now? Better add Oxford, Ohio to the list of southern teams then since they go about as far south as Annapolis does.

And how do you know Navy is definitely getting a program together? If/when Navy gets a program, they'll go to whatever conference has Air Force and Army - it's a nice governmental package deal that they'd stick together to make sure they all get to play each other.

Since when are Atlantic Hockey teams "all together" geographically? Nevermind Air Force in this discussion but Erie, PA is nowhere near Boston, MA. Half the conference is in New England and the other half is in Western New York and Western Pennsylvania.

UAH is a terrible fit for Atlantic Hockey for a thousand different reasons and putting them in there would cause a lot of problems for a lot of ne'er-do-well programs that call the AHA home, nevermind that you're proposing a possible 14 team conference (which they would be if they added UAH and Navy began playing hockey).

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
      Nobody is bent over it. Why are you fighting over if it is or is not the south? I agree southern maryland is a lot different than the DC area and northern Maryland. My other post stated that.
      You were something like the third poster to strongly imply Maryland was Southern and that most of the country thought this way.

This was somehow a roundabout way to justify putting UAH in Atlantic Hockey with soon to be future D-1 member from Anne Arundel County.

And the "DC area" has basically swallowed southern Maryland. Calvert and St. Mary's County are merely part of the commuter belt at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
        You were something like the third poster to strongly imply Maryland was Southern and that most of the country thought this way.

This was somehow a roundabout way to justify putting UAH in Atlantic Hockey with soon to be future D-1 member from Anne Arundel County.

And the "DC area" has basically swallowed southern Maryland. Calvert and St. Mary's County are merely part of the commuter belt at this point.
        I never once said UAH should be in atlantic hockey, nor do I think they should be. I chimmed in to say Maryland is in the south and that was it.
        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
          Presuming they can do something they've never been able to do before. UAH has had something like three major non-conference opponents go to Alabama in the last five or six years. There's no way they're going to be able to schedule enough home games to survive, unless they can keep drawing crowds to watch UAH blow out bad club teams.

I really can't see them lasting more than a year or two as an independent.
          Hey now ... our best attendance last year was against a Frozen Four team. I think even our fans thought the UT game was a joke.

Trust me, I worry about having enough home games. That's where I pray for a scheduling alliance with the CCHA, which seems to be the most likely fit for games in January and February.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

I never once said UAH should be in atlantic hockey, nor do I think they should be. I chimmed in to say Maryland is in the south and that was it.
            Sorry that was unclear. The original person asserting MD was in the South did so to justify the Atlantic Hockey move for UAH.

Comment

Keep in mind I am not including DC here. That town has it's own crazy side that is unlike any where I have ever been.
              And that's just inside The Beltway...

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
              For the people on this board that keep talking about location. Location does not matter here what matters is what league does UAB best fit in.
              Conference USA...but they're not looking to move their non existent hockey team...

Even USA Hockey considers Maryland a part of the Southeastern District.

If they are such a terrible fit name some reasons why?
              In the hockey world...Michigan is considered west...

Other then Air Force...AH is pretty well clustered in the Northeast. Adding UAB UAH would bring them to 13 teams which is not ideal for a conference number when only getting 28 conference games max. There's two, and there's quite a few more.

I know I'm going to regret trying to talk to you like an adult...but I figured I'd give it a shot
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

For the people on this board that keep talking about location. Location does not matter here what matters is what league does UAB best fit in.

I mean look at some of the comments whether or not they should play a team that isn't even at the D1 level yet. But if it is a matter of location CCHA is just as crazy logic and I understand that Bowling Green, Miami, and Ohio State, and Notre Dame would be the closest opponents all under 10 hours but the better fit for a league is Atlantic Hockey and playing those teams as non-conference games. Get over it CCHA did not let you in. They need to get in to a league quickly because I think being an indendent will ultimately ruin the program unless a league tells them soon that they will take them by a certain year. Atlantic Hockey = Saving UAB Hockey!
                You know what? You can take your uninformed, elitist attitude, cram it up your *** and tell your story walking as far as I'm concerned.

UAH has next to nothing in common with most of Atlantic Hockey, be it from an athletics standpoint or an academic standpoint.

Your opinion is based on nothing more than on-ice performance. Three down years in the program's 24-year history. Irrelevancy.

Or maybe I'm wrong, and you can correct me. But I sincerely doubt it.
                UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                2006 Time Person of the Year
                Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

I'm confounded as to how someone of cooperalls advanced age could mistake UAB for UAH... Could be the first signs of senility.
                  -Will... Photographer, professional baby wrangler.
                  web- saveuahhockey.com facebook- Save UAH Hockey twitter- @saveuahhockey

Comment

For all of those suggesting that UAH should turn to the WCHA or AH to seek being the 13th team in a conference, thank you for your less-than-constructive assistance. I will file that in my cabinet right new to the "things that ain't gonna happen" file, right next to the BTHC.

There is a certain immediacy to UAH's problems that is escaping everyone here. No existing conference except the CCHA would consider UAH right now. And that is the problem. Maybe the BTHC eventually happens. Maybe Navy and/or Penn State add hockey. But are they going to do it in the, oh, two years or so that UAH has to make something work? Not a chance. So, all the other crap that is being thrown about... anything short of a 10-12 game CCHA scheduling alliance or CCHA membership simply WILL NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH.

Two options. That's it. But I get the weird feeling that, even if CCHA teams reduce their conference schedule, there will be fewer open weekends than the hole in the schedule left by UNO would suggest, considering many of the remaining CCHA teams use a split-week home/away approach to their weekend tilts.

AND, just to let you know, as someone who has lived in Minnesota, Alabama, and Maryland, Alabama is like Maryland about as much as Alabama is like New York. Maybe not much at all, but a lot more than either has in common with Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevil98 View Post
                      For all of those suggesting that UAH should turn to the WCHA or AH to seek being the 13th team in a conference, thank you for your less-than-constructive assistance. I will file that in my cabinet right new to the "things that ain't gonna happen" file, right next to the BTHC.

There is a certain immediacy to UAH's problems that is escaping everyone here. No existing conference except the CCHA would consider UAH right now. And that is the problem. Maybe the BTHC eventually happens. Maybe Navy and/or Penn State add hockey. But are they going to do it in the, oh, two years or so that UAH has to make something work? Not a chance. So, all the other crap that is being thrown about... anything short of a 10-12 game CCHA scheduling alliance or CCHA membership simply WILL NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH.

Two options. That's it. But I get the weird feeling that, even if CCHA teams reduce their conference schedule, there will be fewer open weekends than the hole in the schedule left by UNO would suggest, considering many of the remaining CCHA teams use a split-week home/away approach to their weekend tilts.
                      I'm a little confused at the moment...but that's just because it's been a long time since I read a first post that has a rational, coherent thought.

MNS - forking genius.

MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I mean look at some of the comments whether or not they should play a team that isn't even at the D1 level yet. But if it is a matter of location CCHA is just as crazy logic and I understand that Bowling Green, Miami, and Ohio State, and Notre Dame would be the closest opponents all under 10 hours but the better fit for a league is Atlantic Hockey and playing those teams as non-conference games. Get over it CCHA did not let you in. They need to get in to a league quickly because I think being an indendent will ultimately ruin the program unless a league tells them soon that they will take them by a certain year. Atlantic Hockey = Saving UAB Hockey!

What's an "indendent?"
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          What's an "indendent?"
                          Indenting twice...and a sixth

MNS - forking genius.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            I'm a little confused at the moment...but that's just because it's been a long time since I read a first post that has a rational, coherent thought.
                            Well, somebody has to start making sense

I would really miss UAH hockey, but hopefully it never comes to that. I remember going to a UAH game at Minnesota back in '02, I think. UAH scores late in the 2nd period to tie the defending champs 2-2 (oh for the days of Jared Ross and great goaltending) before losing in the 3rd period. Showed a lot of heart and won a lot of fans over. It would be a shame to lose a school that cares so much about hockey. UAH has always been one of the hardest hitting teams I've ever seen play. They're a lot of fun to watch, even if they don't have as much talent as players from bigger schools.

I mean hell, what are they going to do, start a football team? In the South? Now who in the world would want to do that?

Comment

I would really miss UAH hockey, but hopefully it never comes to that. I remember going to a UAH game at Minnesota back in '02, I think. UAH scores late in the 2nd period to tie the defending champs 2-2 (oh for the days of Jared Ross and great goaltending) before losing in the 3rd period. Showed a lot of heart and won a lot of fans over. It would be a shame to lose a school that cares so much about hockey. UAH has always been one of the hardest hitting teams I've ever seen play. They're a lot of fun to watch, even if they don't have as much talent as players from bigger schools.
                              That's one of my favorite UAH games ever. The night before, the Gophers blitzed us 12-1 and two guys had hat tricks [Vanek and some other dude who broke his hand celebrating]. Then this Scott Munroe kid goes in net the next night, and ...

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

I would really miss UAH hockey, but hopefully it never comes to that. I remember going to a UAH game at Minnesota back in '02, I think. UAH scores late in the 2nd period to tie the defending champs 2-2 (oh for the days of Jared Ross and great goaltending) before losing getting screwed when the referee allowed a high-stick goal in the 3rd period.
                                FYP. Grrr.....
                                UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                                2006 Time Person of the Year
                                Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                                It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Working...
                                X