X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

Originally posted by Beman View Post
    DR D Great choice, didn't he play with Freddie Kitchen and Gerry Knightly? Freddie was such a nice guy. Knightly was a player.
    That was indeed part of the team. Brinkworth was the key however. He could control the puck well enough to dominate the game and he was near impossible to get the puck away from. Of course his stats are affected by the fact that he could not play varsity as a freshman and the shorter length of the season in those days. Had he played 4 full years and each year 35 or more games I wonder what his numbers could have been. I also always felt had he been playing when the NHL expanded that he stood a good shot of playing at that level.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Brinkworth played two seasons with Knightley and Kitchen. His last year was '63-64, while theirs was '64-65.

Brinkworth had graduated before I enrolled at RPI, but I had the opportunity to see him play for RPI while I was in high school in the Troy area. He was, indeed, a fine player, scoring between 70 and 75 points in each of his three years, almost exactly evenly divided between goals and assists.

He went on to play several seasons in the AHL and was a 20-goal scorer at a time when a 20-goal season in the AHL was a pretty significant achievement. It's certainly reasonable to believe that he could have played in the NHL if there had been 30 NHL teams in existence, as there are today, instead of 12, as there were back then.

I got to see him play once as a professional during the late '60's, but his participation was very limited the night I was there. He was playing for the Baltimore Clippers against the Springfield Kings in an AHL game in Springfield. Bobby hadn't been in the game 30 seconds before he got in a fight, and that was the end of his participation for the evening. Very uncharacteristic of him, since his relatively small stature generally precluded his getting involved in many fights.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        I also always felt had he been playing when the NHL expanded that he stood a good shot of playing at that level.
        Yeah, not a lot of college players made the NHL level back then

Comment

I arrived at RPI in 1964, so I just missed seeing him play for RPI. The only time that I did see him play was early in the 1969-70 season in the alumni game. Brinkworth had retired from the pros after the previous year and was sitting out a year in order to join the IHL, at that time considered amateur by the pros, although I assume not by the NCAA.

Anyway, he played in the alumni game which at time was the alumni vs. the varsity. I think that was the only time that I saw the alumni win that game.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
            Brinkworth played two seasons with Knightley and Kitchen. His last year was '63-64, while theirs was '64-65.

Brinkworth had graduated before I enrolled at RPI, but I had the opportunity to see him play for RPI while I was in high school in the Troy area. He was, indeed, a fine player, scoring between 70 and 75 points in each of his three years, almost exactly evenly divided between goals and assists.

He went on to play several seasons in the AHL and was a 20-goal scorer at a time when a 20-goal season in the AHL was a pretty significant achievement. It's certainly reasonable to believe that he could have played in the NHL if there had been 30 NHL teams in existence, as there are today, instead of 12, as there were back then.

I got to see him play once as a professional during the late '60's, but his participation was very limited the night I was there. He was playing for the Baltimore Clippers against the Springfield Kings in an AHL game in Springfield. Bobby hadn't been in the game 30 seconds before he got in a fight, and that was the end of his participation for the evening. Very uncharacteristic of him, since his relatively small stature generally precluded his getting involved in many fights.
            Bobby in a fight? I would never have believed it. I don't even recall him taking many penalties at all at RPI. I remember listening on the radio to one or two Clippers games when he played for them. Wow am I ever dating myself. In any case a very deserving addition to the Ring of Honor.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              I don't know why you sell yourself short CM? That was the best write up of the UMass game that I've read.
              Sorry to be late with this, but thanks so much for the kind words, WS. I'm not trying to sell myself short, but I don't usually pick up on specific plays the way you and some others here do or get a real feel for what the systems are and who's playing them correctly and who's not. That's okay, though, as long as you guys are willing to put up with my touchy-feely, big-picture approach to commenting on the games.

Here are a few quick thoughts on the UNH game. What RPI did right: darn near everything! I saw no lessening of that high-energy, physical play we were talking about, and considering how well it worked Saturday I don't think we have to worry about it going away any time soon. I saw more hits from RPI in the last two games (thinking of Erik Burgdoerfer, John Kennedy and Bryan Brutlag particularly) than I did in two months last year! The offense, power play included, is much better than last year but, in my opinion, still has room for improvement. Right now the speed and hustle is carrying it, and having more scoring threats for the opposition to worry about is a BIG factor (thank you, freshmen!), but I'd like to see better passing and playmaking too.

What RPI did wrong: I hate to say anything negative about Allen York who had a magnificent game overall, but the only small criticism I can think of is that he still has a tendency to drop some soft rebounds in front of the net. By luck or design, our defense was there to sweep away every single one of them Saturday night, but I'd be more comfortable if they weren't there to begin with. That and the aforementioned better set-ups are the ONLY things I can think of to put on my wish list based on that game. Let's hope the boys can keep it up!
              Charlene

Comment

I also want to mention how very pleased the guys were with the support they felt from the crowd at the UNH game. They told me afterward that they were really impressed with the noise the fans made, especially since they were aware that the building was nowhere near full. They said that toward the end the loud cheering really pumped them up and gave them energy, so to those of you who were there and helped play the seventh man, give yourselves a pat on the back. The boys never forget what terrific fans they have and they were VERY happy to feel like they gave them something to cheer about Saturday.
                Charlene

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
                  I also want to mention how very pleased the guys were with the support they felt from the crowd at the UNH game. They told me afterward that they were really impressed with the noise the fans made, especially since they were aware that the building was nowhere near full. They said that toward the end the loud cheering really pumped them up and gave them energy, so to those of you who were there and helped play the seventh man, give yourselves a pat on the back. The boys never forget what terrific fans they have and they were VERY happy to feel like they gave them something to cheer about Saturday.
                  That is no fluke, CM. I was up with the band, and the sound of the crowd almost sounded like a Freakout. I was EXTREMELY pleased with the team's play out there. Although I was a little worried with 12 minutes to go and up 2 goals, RPI never stopped attacking. I'm not looking at the box score, but I'd guess UNH had no more than 30 seconds worth of EA time, not counting any of Carusone's jealousy of RPI actually doing well. Although it'll be tough against the teams like Union and Cornell because our speed doesn't always work against their clutch-and-grab styles, I'm looking forward to the season, and actually going to quite a few games.

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
                    What RPI did wrong: I hate to say anything negative about Allen York who had a magnificent game overall, but the only small criticism I can think of is that he still has a tendency to drop some soft rebounds in front of the net. By luck or design, our defense was there to sweep away every single one of them Saturday night, but I'd be more comfortable if they weren't there to begin with. That and the aforementioned better set-ups are the ONLY things I can think of to put on my wish list based on that game. Let's hope the boys can keep it up!
                    noticed the same, York left some "juicy rebounds" and posted such earlier, it appeared that RPI d looked strong in front picked up their men instead of watching the puck. They did the job but somehow York has to control those rebounds a little better.

Comment

The Engineers rallied for a 4-3 Shootout victory in an exhibition game last week. Afterward, Appert’s daughter, Campbell, said to him, “you won.”

“Get used to it,” he replied.
                      I was told about this excerpt from the Troy Record's article from Oct. 8 (http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...a777534035.txt) after our game against UNH.

I believe in Seth Appert.
                      Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by hawthr View Post
                        I was told about this excerpt from the Troy Record's article from Oct. 8 (http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...a777534035.txt) after our game against UNH.

I believe in Seth Appert.
                        *****http://i134.***********.com/albums/q109/StatMan79/ibelieveinsethappert-1.jpg******
                        R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                          *****http://i134.***********.com/albums/q109/StatMan79/ibelieveinsethappert-1.jpg******
                          Thanks, I had it on Deanna, but didn't carry it over to Samantha.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Thanks, I had it on Deanna, but didn't carry it over to Samantha.
                            Please don't tell me that you give your computers female names. Please tell me this is something else.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                              Please don't tell me that you give your computers female names. Please tell me this is something else.
                              I'm praying that he means he gets this tattooed on his girlfriend(s). Or he's a pimp and that's his way to brand them.

In that case, I demand a cut.
                              R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                                *****http://i3.***********.com/albums/y67/righwingnut742/1003092142a.jpg******

Photographic evidence of these such flyers hanging in the Rensselaer Union. Picture taken Oct. 3. The campus is ready for greatness. It is excited for this season.
                                Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X