X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Just back from what was an excellent, excellent game played by the RPI Engineers. The 3rd period was as complete a period of hockey that I have seen them play in many moons. UNH threw the sink at them in the 2nd and 3rd period and RPI did not flinch. Period.

I hesitate to single out names, because the team played that well. This team, clearly has a work ethic and drive to finish off opponents that has infected the team. You could just tell that they weren't going to allow UNH to get back in it. Allen York stood on his head in the 2nd when UNH mounted a challenge, he then shut the door on the 3rd...his size and position play allowed him to make several key saves, several on shots that I know he didn't even see. In the 3rd, he even mixed it up with a 'Cat forward after getting wacked after the whistle for about the 5th time.

As much as I don't want to single out names, the defense came ready to play tonight. JFK was all over the rink, Burger played an outstanding game -- he was an excellent two way player tonight. Merth had what I think was his best home game of his career...including a needed physicality in key situations (same for Burger). Brutlag made several key plays on clears and in the neutral zone.

Helfrich was on fire all night including soaking a shot to the chest in front of our net, then leading the charge down ice, getting a shot off with Bergin burying the rebound for the 3rd goal. As for the newbies, what can I say -- Lee/Pirri and D'Amigo were relentless at both ends. Lee had several solid hits. If he keeps that up, he'll rival Rabbani for the Pancake Award.

Even the role players like Kerins, Malchuk, Rabbani had key shifts/plays that added to the W. I already regret listing guys because this was a team win.
    All in all an outstanding OOC win !
    Something I never realized...Pirri is an excellent faceoff guy I only noticed him lose a couple draws....Appert had him out there for every crucial draw and he won 90% of them... he was especially good when were in our zone on the PK
    What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
      Something I never realized...Pirri is an excellent faceoff guy I only noticed him lose a couple draws....Appert had him out there for every crucial draw and he won 90% of them... he was especially good when were in our zone on the PK
      Great point TB, I did notice that. I almost forgot how it feels to win a few in the circle...
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        Now we head west-way west-with a 1-1 record under our belt. I dont know much about the Alaska teams this year but here's hoping we play tight defense and continue to improve on offense. A great chance for the team to bond on the road.
        If I had the time, I'd love to head out to AK for the tourney..maybe they'd let me help Dana carry the skate sharpener ??
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Congrats on the win guys, good to see the ECAC getting some wins OOC.

Comment

Now we head west-way west-with a 1-1 record under our belt. I dont know much about the Alaska teams this year but here's hoping we play tight defense and continue to improve on offense. A great chance for the team to bond on the road.
            The two Alaska teams are involved in a set of games this weekend in Anchorage against Michigan and Mercyhurst. Format is similar to next weekend's event in Fairbanks in that there is a set schedule and the two Alaska teams will not face each other, regardless of the outcome of the first night's games.

Alaska-Anchorage beat Mercyhurst the first night, 5-3. As I type, their game against Michigan either has not started or is in the very early stages of play.

Alaska swept both games it played, beating Michigan last night, 2-0 and Mercyhurst tonight, 5-1.

Doesn't look like it's going to be easy scoring a whole bunch of goals against the Nanooks.

Comment

Thread for next weekend's games http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=85578
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

My thoughts are in the score thread, and I found this to be quite the game!

Wow, it's 1:30 AM? I should go to bed soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  UMA was #28.
                  thanks ralph for catching the typo...

Comment

I got to a computer just in time for the start of the third period last night.
                    And what I saw was a team that knows how to close out a hockey game.
                    This team is very different from what we have seen the last three years.
                    Two home games, two third period comebacks.
                    We did not panic, we did not spend the entire period in the penalty box and we took advantage of our opportunities.
                    From reading the scores thread, I got the impression that York had a great two periods. This is a team game, and if we are going to be a winning team, the goalie has to do his part.
                    I don't really know where we go from here. Thursday night was awful, tonight was great. What does tomorrow bring?
                    One thing I am sure of, we will not be out of any game this year. These guys play for 60 minutes and do not give up. If they find a way to stay out of the penalty box, they could be a special team by March.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

Last year against UMass, we lost by 6 goals. This year we lost by 3. That's an improvement of 3 goals. Last year we lost to UNH by 1 goal. This year we won by 2 goals. That's a net gain of 3 goals also.

If we improve by 3 goals in each of the 22 ECAC games, we will finish with a 13-2-7 record. I'll take it.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Last year against UMass, we lost by 6 goals. This year we lost by 3. That's an improvement of 3 goals. Last year we lost to UNH by 1 goal. This year we won by 2 goals. That's a net gain of 3 goals also.

If we improve by 3 goals in each of the 22 ECAC games, we will finish with a 13-2-7 record. I'll take it.
                        RB: Do you stay up nights thinking of these stats? I do hope we improve by 3 goals per game though
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Good win last night! Looks encouraging.

Interesting article on boston.com about Harvard's hockey program. You can make your own judgements before I post mine...

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ma...brains_on_ice/
                          Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

That was a very well played team effort last night. Just tremendous work by everyone. They even survived giving up a brutal turnover in their own end and didn't get scored on for it. Turnovers were kept to a minimum and the highlight, for me, was that the team's motor never stopped running all night. They stepped on the gas to start and never relented.

The power play is so vastly improved it's stunning.

The penalty killing in 5x4 situations is very good.

C.J. Lee's nickname from here on out should be "wrecking ball." He's very impressive to watch play.

D'Amigo and Pirri's presence on the ice makes everyone out there with them better. It's quite refreshing.
                            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

RB: Do you stay up nights thinking of these stats? I do hope we improve by 3 goals per game though
                              Actually, I thought of it while bike riding this morning, and I checked last year's ECAC results when I returned.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Wow. There are 7 games where we still only manage a tie. Glad that year is behind us.

I'm hoping we do better by 3 goals a game too but will be happy with two: one from the better O and the other from York (I am sold on the kid).
                                Last edited by jmhusker; 10-11-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X