X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Sounds like Quinnipiac's arena; they're in the same boat. They don't take kindly to even having visiting bands.
    Hopefully, that's changing for the better this year. I know our pep band is scheduled to play every home game which is a huge step in the right direction.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2023 National Champions
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
    Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
      Hopefully, that's changing for the better this year. I know our pep band is scheduled to play every home game which is a huge step in the right direction.
      Hopefully they play more than once a period. When I went there, it was abysmal. Not their band, but the "allowance of play time".

Comment

Originally posted by blocker View Post
        wicked:... I do not think UNH will be as good as they were last year. I expect them to be a little more porous and somewhat less efficient offensively( not that it was a juggernaut last year although they beat acadia 8-1 in their 1st pre season game last week) this year given their losses and reds gains. Early on it is once again all about d with red....i hate to say that but, there is some consolation in the fact that 'IT IS STILL EARLY" ..(i used that one far too often in the last decade). I felt bad for allen, he witnessed it from the bench last year and got a first hand look last night...lots of work to be done still on pk, discipline, etc etc etc but there are positives two..the pp should vastly improve this year (although i have not seen a team really pressure the point or the puck on reds pp yet), and that alone would have been good enough in the last three seasons to put red in the top four.The defense remains as a question mark. Positive note...last nights game from a defensive perspective was not as bad as it was in last years blowout games against the big teams. during the five on five segments the d appeared to give up far fewer quality shots on their own goal last night. they played very well in the first period.
        2 goals were scored 5-3, one 4-3. I don't put any of it on York, but I'm sure he will be working on his glove work this week. The fact that the D appears to still be an unknown entity is disturbing to me, especially since they have no coach, with Kurulak's departure Appert must be spread pretty thin at practices. I hope I am worrying for naught. It is indeed early, but Ralph taught me long ago that it is never too early to worry ...
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

InCH picks RPI 9th: http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/.../ecachpreview/

The Engineers should score more goals, but they’ve got to figure out how to stop them. Sophomore Allan York is back in the fold after making 15 starts as a freshman.
          • The first task the Rensselaer coaching staff took on when Seth Appert was hired four years ago was to improve the team’s overall talent. They’ve done that and add two more highly-touted freshman forwards in Jerry D’Amigo and Brandon Pirri this year. Now it’s time to see some results. Expect RPI to challenge for a first-round home playoff series this year.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            2 goals were scored 5-3, one 4-3. I don't put any of it on York, but I'm sure he will be working on his glove work this week. The fact that the D appears to still be an unknown entity is disturbing to me, especially since they have no coach, with Kurulak's departure Appert must be spread pretty thin at practices. I hope I am worrying for naught. It is indeed early, but Ralph taught me long ago that it is never too early to worry ...
            Those ultra short handed situations were the key. I wonder if we would have scored had we been given three opportunities with UMass down to 3 men? If not for those we were looking at a 2-2 game. Our offense is no doubt improved-tonight is time to see if the defense can keep these games competitive.
            Last edited by DrDemento; 10-10-2009, 03:55 PM.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I agree!

On another note.

I think it would be a good idea to eliminate Puck Man and replace him with Worry Worm! The new Mascot would be a large red worm. He would circle the arena during home games wringing his hands(setae) and looking perplexed.

It was also nice to read that Ralph refused to consider making a sound device for home games out of his concern for the health and well being of marine mamals. Those of us that were, or presently are, Marines appreciate his compassion,concern and kindness. As a result of this altruistic jesture I have decided to nominate Ralph for a Nobel Peace Prize next February. I hope he enjoys his trip to Norway and that you can find it in your heart to support the nomination. Semper Fi!
              Last edited by blocker; 10-10-2009, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I was wondering where you have been hiding CM ! We were about ready to send out the Mounties to look for you.
                I'm still here, Wicked, just a little overworked lately. Now that it's very nearly too late and we've already heard everyone's more specific analyses, I'll throw in a general comment or two about the UMass game.

I thought the power play was MUCH better than last year's at times. I think we had about eight shots on one pp alone. We didn't score on the one I'm thinking of, but sustained the offense generated by the pp so well that we were still in the UMass zone applying constant pressure nearly two minutes later when Tyler Helfrich put in Brandon Pirri's rebound for the goal.

I also thought the PK was much better than last year early in the game. They got worn down with all the ice time eventually and you can see from the box score that UMass was getting a lot more shots through and, eventually, over the goal line, but early on it looked quite good with lots of blocked shots and even a few big hits. I thought Allen York played well - not picking up where he left off last year yet, but better than the numbers make it look.

I have two big concerns right now. I think some of the energy and aggressive attack we saw came from adrenalin and enthusiasm to be getting back on the ice with, we hope, a new and improved version of the Engineers. I expect to see that again tonight, but a win here would go a long way toward making sure that doesn't get eroded too quickly. I know the guys were more down than you might expect after losing to UMass.

My other concern is that the team may react to the excessive penalties Thursday night with overcautiousness tonight and lose that aggressive and high-energy attack that looked so good. Hopefully Coach Appert will anticipate that and help the boys find the right balance. Oh, and I would LOVE to see Josh Rabbani set up in front of the net like he used to. What happened to that?

Okay, back to you more knowledgeable guys. I'll try to chime in with the touchy-feely stuff sooner after tonight's game.
                Charlene

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
                  I'm still here, Wicked, just a little overworked lately. Now that it's very nearly too late and we've already heard everyone's more specific analyses, I'll throw in a general comment or two about the UMass game.

I thought the power play was MUCH better than last year's at times. I think we had about eight shots on one pp alone. We didn't score on the one I'm thinking of, but sustained the offense generated by the pp so well that we were still in the UMass zone applying constant pressure nearly two minutes later when Tyler Helfrich put in Brandon Pirri's rebound for the goal.

I also thought the PK was much better than last year early in the game. They got worn down with all the ice time eventually and you can see from the box score that UMass was getting a lot more shots through and, eventually, over the goal line, but early on it looked quite good with lots of blocked shots and even a few big hits. I thought Allen York played well - not picking up where he left off last year yet, but better than the numbers make it look.

I have two big concerns right now. I think some of the energy and aggressive attack we saw came from adrenalin and enthusiasm to be getting back on the ice with, we hope, a new and improved version of the Engineers. I expect to see that again tonight, but a win here would go a long way toward making sure that doesn't get eroded too quickly. I know the guys were more down than you might expect after losing to UMass.

My other concern is that the team may react to the excessive penalties Thursday night with overcautiousness tonight and lose that aggressive and high-energy attack that looked so good. Hopefully Coach Appert will anticipate that and help the boys find the right balance. Oh, and I would LOVE to see Josh Rabbani set up in front of the net like he used to. What happened to that?

Okay, back to you more knowledgeable guys. I'll try to chime in with the touchy-feely stuff sooner after tonight's game.
                  I don't know why you sell yourself short CM? That was the best write up of the UMass game that I've read. I completely agree about needing Rabbani on the ice. I can only surmise that Appert is conscious of Josh's speed and wnated to go with speedier players in the early goings... That and getting a hard look at the freshmen. I think it's worth noting that as I said this summer (and took heat for it) I think UMass is a skilled team that is very well coached. The Marcou kid is a sniper and their keeper will keep them in most games. Take away half of our penalties and it would been a very different game, IMO.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

wicked:... I do not think UNH will be as good as they were last year. I expect them to be a little more porous and somewhat less efficient offensively( not that it was a juggernaut last year although they beat acadia 8-1 in their 1st pre season game last week)..
                    Blocker -- Mark my words UNH will be better than UMass. Granted Van Riemsdyk is gone and young Bourque snubbed the 'Cats and landed in the O, but they have talent and Umile will have them coached up. Somewhere I saw they were pre-season ranked at #4 in HE. We'd better be ready to go, or the potential for a long night looms. I'm just sayin'...

Comment

Blocker -- Mark my words UNH will be better than UMass. Granted Van Riemsdyk is gone and young Bourque snubbed the 'Cats and landed in the O, but they have talent and Umile will have them coached up. Somewhere I saw they were pre-season ranked at #4 in HE. We'd better be ready to go, or the potential for a long night looms. I'm just sayin'...

Inch has UNH at 18 and UMAS at 0 i think, but then again, they have RPI at 37 . What do they know . It is just a preseason poll. Time will tell .I will remember your prediction and raise it in a month or so.I am here for a few days and hink i will drive up to watch the game . It will be interesting to see how the kids react if UNH gets a physical.
                      Last edited by blocker; 10-11-2009, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Inch has UNH at 18 and UMAS at 8 i think, but then again, they have RPI at 37 . What do they know .
                        UMA was #28.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Inch has UNH at 18 and UMAS at 8 i think, but then again, they have RPI at 37 . What do they know . It is just a preseason poll. Time will tell .I will remember your prediction and raise it in a month or so.I am here for a few days and hink i will drive up to watch the game . It will be interesting to see how the kids react if UNH gets a physical.
                          I don't remember predicting anything?...just re-stating that I thought/think UMass is a good team...an opinion I was taken to task for by a few of the "our schedule is weak" malcontents.

Comment

Now we head west-way west-with a 1-1 record under our belt. I dont know much about the Alaska teams this year but here's hoping we play tight defense and continue to improve on offense. A great chance for the team to bond on the road.
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I don't remember predicting anything?...just re-stating that I thought/think UMass is a good team...an opinion I was taken to task for by a few of the "our schedule is weak" malcontents.
                              RPI -3.....UNH -1 NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKI'N BOUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!......York was OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!!Whole TEAM effort.
                              What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Just back from what was an excellent, excellent game played by the RPI Engineers. The 3rd period was as complete a period of hockey that I have seen them play in many moons. UNH threw the sink at them in the 2nd and 3rd period and RPI did not flinch. Period.

I hesitate to single out names, because the team played that well. This team, clearly has a work ethic and drive to finish off opponents that has infected the team. You could just tell that they weren't going to allow UNH to get back in it. Allen York stood on his head in the 2nd when UNH mounted a challenge, he then shut the door on the 3rd...his size and position play allowed him to make several key saves, several on shots that I know he didn't even see. In the 3rd, he even mixed it up with a 'Cat forward after getting wacked after the whistle for about the 5th time.

As much as I don't want to single out names, the defense came ready to play tonight. JFK was all over the rink, Burger played an outstanding game -- he was an excellent two way player tonight. Merth had what I think was his best home game of his career...including a needed physicality in key situations (same for Burger). Brutlag made several key plays on clears and in the neutral zone.

Helfrich was on fire all night including soaking a shot to the chest in front of our net, then leading the charge down ice, getting a shot off with Bergin burying the rebound for the 3rd goal. As for the newbies, what can I say -- Lee/Pirri and D'Amigo were relentless at both ends. Lee had several solid hits. If he keeps that up, he'll rival Rabbani for the Pancake Award.

Even the role players like Kerins, Malchuk, Rabbani had key shifts/plays that added to the W. I already regret listing guys because this was a team win.
                                All in all an outstanding OOC win !
                                Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 10-10-2009, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X