• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

Ed Weaver has been busy:

Appert confident RPI headed in right direction
    Bergin can't wait for Engineers' season to start
    RPI in search of consistent defense
    Polacek, Helfrich set to score, mentor
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Does anyone know when RPI started a D-II ACHA team? http://www.achahockey.org/team_roste...league_id=1061. I saw an article, which is not online, in the Poly about them.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Does anyone know when RPI started a D-II ACHA team? http://www.achahockey.org/team_roste...league_id=1061. I saw an article, which is not online, in the Poly about them.
        Last year.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
          Last year.
          Thanks. I am somewhat surprised that it never came up here before. From the picture in the Poly (9/30), it looks like they are using last year's varsity uniforms.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Thanks. I am somewhat surprised that it never came up here before. From the picture in the Poly (9/30), it looks like they are using last year's varsity uniforms.
            The club hockey team formed and played a shortened season (6 games, I believe) this past spring semester. This year, they have moved up to ACHA D-II and have a full season ahead of them.

Comment

Email from Kevin Beattie this morning regarding the media guide:

" All – Thank you very much for your continued support of Rensselaer Athletics and the hockey programs. We have received your order for the 2009-10 men’s hockey media guide. This note is to inform you that those books are not yet ready as we wait to hire our second assistant coach. Upon the hiring, the media guides will be printed and then shipped out as soon as they are available. Feel free to share this information as we were unable to capture the e-mail addresses of all those who pre-ordered the books.

We appreciate your patience and hope to see you at the Field House for the regular season home opener on Saturday night against UNH. Let’s go RED!"
              – Kevin

Not sure what to make of this -- I'm assuming that Vines has been held up due to Visa issues...dunno.???
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                Email from Kevin Beattie this morning regarding the media guide:

" All – Thank you very much for your continued support of Rensselaer Athletics and the hockey programs. We have received your order for the 2009-10 men’s hockey media guide. This note is to inform you that those books are not yet ready as we wait to hire our second assistant coach. Upon the hiring, the media guides will be printed and then shipped out as soon as they are available. Feel free to share this information as we were unable to capture the e-mail addresses of all those who pre-ordered the books.

We appreciate your patience and hope to see you at the Field House for the regular season home opener on Saturday night against UNH. Let’s go RED!"
                – Kevin

Not sure what to make of this -- I'm assuming that Vines has been held up due to Visa issues...dunno.???
                I thought I read on another thread that the ECAC schools had all agreed that they would stop producing hard copies of Media Guides and would just publish them on the web. Good to hear that RPI is apparently still going to have a Guide.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

5-2 loss. Even strength I think we had plenty of chances. I'll wait to hear the first hand accounts so of those who made the game.

In any event, if we can't stay out of the box we can't expect to beat HE teams. Period. UNH will light us up if we repeat this performance on Sat.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    5-2 loss. Even strength I think we had plenty of chances. I'll wait to hear the first hand accounts so of those who made the game.

In any event, if we can't stay out of the box we can't expect to beat HE teams. Period. UNH will light us up if we repeat this performance on Sat.
                    Could not tell how many of the penalties were deserved. Will assume most of them. Just cannot afford to go down 2 men to anyone. We did seem to generate some offense though and that could be the bright spot.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Just got back.

Things looked pretty promising after the first obviously, think we outshot them 14-4.And they had 2 power plays. The goal we scored in the first was after or at the end of a power play I believe, and we basically had it in the UMass zone for most of the 2 mins. Pirri has great hands, made a nice pass from behind the net in tight quarters. We moved the puck really well that sequence, took lots of shots, the UMass goalie made a few great saves. Our play in the first period especially after the power play that led to our goal is a definite sign of promise. Being shorthanded so much took away any opportunity to build on that momentum.

On the other side of things, I thought UMass was a bit faster than us, which resulted in some of the penalty calls. Hooking, Holding, etc..

It was tough to see some of them from my vantage point looking through glass, but the ones I could see looked pretty legit, and by the book. Some may have been a little ticky tacky as well. They pretty much let nothing go, on our end anyways.

Coach was in the refs ear after one of them at the door of the bench, and Brutlag was talking to the ref after the
                      2nd at center ice for a good 2 or 3 minutes.

Not sure of the final amount of calls against us but it had to be in the area of 15. Some calls that could have been called on UMass were not, I guess those are the breaks.

Of the 5 goals that were scored, 2 were on 5 on 3's, 1 was on a 4 on 3. They were all scored from the same area of the ice as well, top of the circle, high to the glove on York. One-timers. Great shots. I dont think he really had a chance on most of them. Another one was a low shot from the point in which he was screened.

Our D-Men turned the puck over quite a bit. Also some weak and blind clearing attempts out of our zone that enabled UMass to keep the pressure on.

Its tough to look at this game and really give a concrete analysis because we were short handed half of the game. 5 on 5 we played them well, but we wernt 5 on 5 very much. Came into the 3rd period only down 1, but another 5 on 3 to kill, and thats a tall order. Now I know what being at Game 2 vs. Cornell must have been like..Thought I saw Mike Schaffer in Mullins Center.

Saturday night should be interesting to see how they bounce back, against a similar Hockey East team....
                      Last edited by DavidSec17; 10-08-2009, 11:13 PM.

Comment

The penalties were called tightly.

RPI just took too many penalties in the 2nd period and could never gain their momentum back. The bigger ice didn't help on the penalty kill either.
                        I don't know if it was because I was high up, or the larger ice, but everyone seemed(perception) to be skating so slow.

There was only one penalty on RPI that I just couldn't see. The RPI goalie had the puck, one of his own players hit him and dislodged the puck, and a UMass player crashed the net, and they called holding on RPI.

Four officials on the ice wasn't a concern, but I could see it being an issue on a small sheet of ice like at Union. So hopefully they never do that in the ECAC.

John Hennessy, former voice of the Albany River Rats and NJ Devils is now the radio announcer for the Minutemen.

RPI started to look disheveled in the 3rd period except for brief, very brief periods. But then again, it's impossible to get any flow with all the penalties.

Comment

Too many defensive turnovers for my liking, one leading directly to UMass' third goal. First few games are going to be difficult ones as the team learns its way to go on the ice with each other. The defensemen are used to having to do a lot of the puck-carrying work on their own and with this group of forwards out there they don't have to be quite so itchy to do everything - old habits die hard.

Penalties were laughably bad but the officiating was consistently poor for both teams, I disagreed with about 85% of everything called for both teams tonight. It would've been a tremendous game to see played five-on-five all night long but alas.

The good:

The offense is so much better than what's been seen in Troy the last four years. Great talent and smart playmaking abounds here, just wait for them to gel together.

The power play. Yeah, I said it. Sustained pressure in the zone, smart playmaking (again) occasional fits of getting too greedy with cross-zone passes.

Smart intensity. Very aggressive at times with the forecheck and it lead to some great opportunities, I'd like to see that more often.

The bad:

Certain lineups on the power play, namely the second unit. I'm not sure how Paul Kerins fits in on that unit and I wonder how and why that is going on. I was hoping that with Rabbani in the line up we'd see him out there in front of the net but no dice.

Defensive turnovers. Just too many of them.

Penalties. Obvious, again, but I really didn't see RPI taking careless penalties tonight. I know that sounds incredibly stupid given the outcome on the penalty ledger, but the stripes were calling virtually everything, even things sight unseen.

I can't bag on Allen York letting in five goals, two of them on the 5x3 and another on the 4x3. The team let him down as on those extreme shorthanded situations he has to play deeper in his net and when UMass was able to move in tighter on the perimeter you get the results they were able to put up tonight.
                          R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Hockey's Future's ECAC preview http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...00910_preview/. Not particularly informative. They forgot at the beginning that Cornell made the NCAA tourney.

USCHO also has their ECAC preview up. This is the RPI part http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...onPreview.html.

InCH's should be up today.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I thought I read on another thread that the ECAC schools had all agreed that they would stop producing hard copies of Media Guides and would just publish them on the web. Good to hear that RPI is apparently still going to have a Guide.
                              over at goldenk....errr....letsgotech.com

http://www.letsgotech.com/roundtable...5&postcount=17

from the WDT...
                              Q: Can I buy a media guide?

A: No. Clarkson and the other ECAC Hockey schools will not be printing media guides this season due to budgetary concerns. You can see a version of the media guide online at clarksonathletics.com.
                              Golden Knights Roundtable

Comment

Many thanks to those who reported from the game last night. it was indeed hard to tell on the radio whether all those penalties were deserved. Certainly putting us down to 3 men on the ice 3 times was the difference in the game. It does appear that our offense has improved considerably from what we had seen the past 3 years. Now the question is can the defense do enough to help the goaltending. Saturday gives us a chance to improve on that aspect.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X