X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
    Perhaps there is also an aerodynamic aspect to the design which helps reduce the drag coefficient or promote laminar flow around the legs.
    I wonder if Joe Juneau designed them. He did volunteer to help the team, and undoubtedly he knows something about aerodynamics.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
      Just thought I'd chime in to say how nice it is to see you all excited about RPI's prospects this season. I don't seem to be doing too well at finding the time and energy to post lately, but for this first game you've all already done it better than I could have anyway. (I'm standing by my perennial statement that I'm better at the big picture and the psyche angle than at hockey analysis.)

In case anyone is interested, there are some pictures up at http://www.rpihockey.net/pics.cgi?id=091003.
      Go easy on me - the pictures aren't great but I'm always rusty after the summer layoff. I really don't like those socks either, I have to say. I do like the "18" stickers on the helmets in memory of Nate Marsters, though.

One last thing for those who remember me proclaiming last year that I wasn't going to get excited about Pirri, D'Amigo et al until they actually played for RPI. I haven't really made the acquaintance of the other freshmen yet, but Jerry D'Amigo is officially one of "my boys" now, and a terrific kid, and I therefore won't tolerate any criticism of him. (Kidding, kidding - as long as it's fair criticism, I respect anyone's right to air their opinions here.)
      I was wondering where you have been hiding CM ! We were about ready to send out the Mounties to look for you. Good job on the pics. I personally have no problem wit the socks...if that's the biggest issue we have this year, then it will be a good year indeed !
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

One thing about the game that I haven't seen anyone mention which pleased me very much was York's ability and willingness to play the puck. That's something we've been missing ever since Marsters (RIP) graduated, and perhaps even earlier, back to the Masotta days. But York is doing it as a sophomore and it really helped with the breakout quite often. Need to work on keeping those centermen in the zone until the puck leaves though!

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
          One thing about the game that I haven't seen anyone mention which pleased me very much was York's ability and willingness to play the puck. That's something we've been missing ever since Marsters (RIP) graduated, and perhaps even earlier, back to the Masotta days. But York is doing it as a sophomore and it really helped with the breakout quite often. Need to work on keeping those centermen in the zone until the puck leaves though!
          As much as York plays it, Merriam is even more antsy to play the puck - Hasek-like even.
          R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
            As much as York plays it, Merriam is even more antsy to play the puck - Hasek-like even.
            Let's just say, with two goalies ready to get out there and take charge, the competitiveness for these next three years will make them both all the better.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Let's just say, with two goalies ready to get out there and take charge, the competitiveness for these next three years will make them both all the better.
              Although you're speaking on the narrow "play the puck" level, on a more general level we've had this situation for what, 10 years now, and it hasn't materialized for us yet. In the previous two cases (Kurk & Alford) it seems like it was simply because the guys struggled with the physical aspect of the jump from Juniors to D-I; I could very easily see the same thing happen with Merriam. Then again, unlike those two guys, Merriam was a proven winner in Juniors - maybe that'll make the difference.

Comment

Here's some scattered thoughts on the game from Saturday...

Cullen-D'Amigo-Polacek

Cullen wasn't good enough. Drifted way too much. Had a similar problem to start last season, so I'm not too terribly worried. Plus, he doesn't seem to be at his best when facing big, slow defenders. He seems to do best when playing against smaller, quicker players whom he can simply overpower.

D'Amigo was on the wing, but was very very good. Had our best speed moving out of our own zone through the neutral zone. Polacek did not play well at all. Wasn't crisp with his passes and wasn't sharp enough on the stick. Needs to be better.

Helfrich-AAG-Pirri

Pirri is great; like D'Amigo you just can't help but notice him out there. He was all of the place, especially in the offensive zone. Constantly created turnovers, etc. along the boards as UPEI tried to break out.

Helfrich was solid, but not great. UPEI was a little too stationary for him to really take advantage. They kind of played soft on the boards, which doesn't play to his strength. He is better when he has pressure on and can skate away from it rather than into it.

AAG wasn't very good at all. Was very late switching between zones (especially moving into the offensive zone).

Watts-Lee-O'Grady

O'Grady and Lee, much like Pirri, were simply all over the place. Lee was a very pleasant surprise - he was a horse in the offensive zone. I'd like him on one of the top two lines - possibly with Polacek and Cullen - to let our skill players worry less about doing dirty work. Polacek and Cullen need someone dedicated to grinding on their line so they can float in the slot and create chances while looking at the net, rather than while staring at the boards.

Watts was disappointing - didn't provide enough spark given that that's all he's really in the lineup for at this moment (with the amount of skill that other players bring to the table).

Smith-Vassel-Malchuk

Not an awful checking line. I'm not a big Vassel fan, but I like him in a 4th line role where we don't have to worry about him trying to carry the puck over the blueline. Malchuk was a little tentative. He's another guy, like Lee, that I wouldn't mind seeing on a top line since he could really open things up for our skill players.

Smith was pretty good actually. Needs to make sure he finishes every single one of his checks, but it was not a bad start for him.

Zarbo, Kerins, and Halpern

Zarbo didn't play much, but like his speed carrying the puck (especially against a slow team like UPEI). Kerins was very disappointing - he was not strong at all on the PP. Halpern simply doesn't have that extra move that Polacek, et al do to get to the net. He looks great making his way through 90% of a play, but then it always seems to fizzle out.

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                  Here's some scattered thoughts on the game from Saturday...

Cullen-D'Amigo-Polacek

Cullen wasn't good enough. Drifted way too much. Had a similar problem to start last season, so I'm not too terribly worried. Plus, he doesn't seem to be at his best when facing big, slow defenders. He seems to do best when playing against smaller, quicker players whom he can simply overpower.

D'Amigo was on the wing, but was very very good. Had our best speed moving out of our own zone through the neutral zone. Polacek did not play well at all. Wasn't crisp with his passes and wasn't sharp enough on the stick. Needs to be better.

Helfrich-AAG-Pirri

Pirri is great; like D'Amigo you just can't help but notice him out there. He was all of the place, especially in the offensive zone. Constantly created turnovers, etc. along the boards as UPEI tried to break out.

Helfrich was solid, but not great. UPEI was a little too stationary for him to really take advantage. They kind of played soft on the boards, which doesn't play to his strength. He is better when he has pressure on and can skate away from it rather than into it.

AAG wasn't very good at all. Was very late switching between zones (especially moving into the offensive zone).

Watts-Lee-O'Grady

O'Grady and Lee, much like Pirri, were simply all over the place. Lee was a very pleasant surprise - he was a horse in the offensive zone. I'd like him on one of the top two lines - possibly with Polacek and Cullen - to let our skill players worry less about doing dirty work. Polacek and Cullen need someone dedicated to grinding on their line so they can float in the slot and create chances while looking at the net, rather than while staring at the boards.

Watts was disappointing - didn't provide enough spark given that that's all he's really in the lineup for at this moment (with the amount of skill that other players bring to the table).

Smith-Vassel-Malchuk

Not an awful checking line. I'm not a big Vassel fan, but I like him in a 4th line role where we don't have to worry about him trying to carry the puck over the blueline. Malchuk was a little tentative. He's another guy, like Lee, that I wouldn't mind seeing on a top line since he could really open things up for our skill players.

Smith was pretty good actually. Needs to make sure he finishes every single one of his checks, but it was not a bad start for him.

Zarbo, Kerins, and Halpern

Zarbo didn't play much, but like his speed carrying the puck (especially against a slow team like UPEI). Kerins was very disappointing - he was not strong at all on the PP. Halpern simply doesn't have that extra move that Polacek, et al do to get to the net. He looks great making his way through 90% of a play, but then it always seems to fizzle out.
                  Thanks for the recap. I get the feeling that you liked the freshmen.
                  I am anxious to see what the lines will be tomorrow night.
                  I expect that Rabbini will be pushing someone out. Also, I expect that the lines will be tweaked a little to see where the chemistry will come from.
                  I would give the team a B for their first test, I look forward to UMass for test #2.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

Ken Schott video interviews with Seth Appert, Jerry D'Amigo, Brandon Pirri, and Allen York http://www.dailygazette.com/videos/2009/oct/07/271/.

SA will be on KS's radio segment tomorrow http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...n-wofx-am-980/.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Ken Schott video interviews with Seth Appert, Jerry D'Amigo, Brandon Pirri, and Allen York http://www.dailygazette.com/videos/2009/oct/07/271/.

SA will be on KS's radio segment tomorrow http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...n-wofx-am-980/.
                      I would note that SA is due to come on as the 3rd guest. Listeners tuning in at the start - 11:05 - will have to suffer through the "Exhalted One" Commissioner Hagwell defending errr... discussing the league's move to Atlantic City. Then comes some guy named Leaman, not sure why he's going to be on, and then saving the best for last is Seth.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                        and then saving the best for last is Seth.
                        Even I think they'll be better than 12th this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                          Even I think they'll be better than 12th this season.
                          What gave you that idea? That they haven't come in last since 1967?

As opposed to Union, which hasn't come in last since all the way back in 2007.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                            What gave you that idea? That they haven't come in last since 1967?

As opposed to Union, which hasn't come in last since all the way back in 2007.
                            Calm down princess.

Comment

Calm down princess.
                              Aww, you're mad? That's too bad. That's what you get when you come in talking trash. What's the matter, dish it out but can't take it?
                              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Calm down princess.
                                Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                                Aww, you're mad? That's too bad. That's what you get when you come in talking trash. What's the matter, dish it out but can't take it?
                                *****http://i134.***********.com/albums/q109/StatMan79/YouMad.jpg******
                                R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X