X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    Even better, it was in Burlington.
    I'm sure the hippies smoked an extra bowl in response.
    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

I was at that game. It was freaking awesome and well deserved after all the trash talking that Vermont had been doing up to that point.
      I did not make the trip to that game so I did not witness it in person-but that was what I call swagger. I would love to see more of that. This program needs it.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        I did not make the trip to that game so I did not witness it in person-but that was what I call swagger. I would love to see more of that. This program needs it.
        You would've been eating it up on Saturday while cursing out the defense for their mistakes. D'Amigo and Pirri have got swagger and a lot of it. Starting off the year in front of the hooligans that pose as UMass fans will be an interesting test of their personality.

Comment

Possible.

Anyway, since I am observant, here are my observations.

1) I haven't been around in a couple of years, but wow, was it awesome to see the Engineers trying to gain the zone by skating it in. I had grown used to watching them play dump and chase for so many years. I dump and chase when I play, but then again, I'm not a Division I hockey player. Big ups for this alone, especially D'Amigo.

2) I saw someone say something about the swagger they saw from freshmen. I agree, and I like it. Watching Pirri salute Section 17 after scoring his first goal and then do the hockey equivalent of the jersey pop after scoring in the shootout underscores one thing - he is PUMPED to be here. D'Amigo also seemed very much into it, and remember, this was an exhibition. The first thing I thought of was how silly it was for Ralph and DrD to fret over whether they would show up on campus. They're loving this. You can tell these guys can't wait for the games that count.

3) The freshman class as a whole is as advertised. C.J. Lee looked like he was about to score the winning goal a couple of times late in the third, and that would have been so perfect. These four guys are awesome, and big props to Chase Polacek and Tyler Helfrich too. Both of those guys had great games. We could have three dangerous scoring lines and a grind line before all is said and done.

4) Adding on to #3, Merriam looks like he'll be a great compliment to York, and York looks like he's ready to go. This makes me happy.

5) Brutlag needs to relax. A lot. He tries to do too much and gets caught out of position because of it. I'm not suggesting that he suddenly become a stay-at-home d-man or anything, but he can't be a one-man wrecking crew.

6) Pirri tries to do everything too but he had a lot more success at it. Maybe he IS a one-man wrecking crew.

7) John Kennedy is the friggin man. He works hard on every single shift and just does his job exceptionally well. Certainly a leader worth emulating.

8) The power play is going to be much, much better this year I think. Bergin has all the makings of the perfect QB on the blue line, and the PP gives Pirri, D'Amigo, and Helfrich a chance to really annihilate together. This might be the most exciting possibility of all.

9) PEI reminded me of Cornell on steroids. Bigger guys playing about as much clutch and grab. But as a fellow poster said to me, "speed kills." And we've got speed.

10) It does look like the vision that Seth Appert laid out when he took over is coming to fruition. This is now a team that can score on practically any shift. If we can get the defense into lockdown, we're in business.
          RC - this is an excellent post. Thanks.

I have been following RPI hockey since I was a kid in the early 70s going to every home game, and for a whole host of reasons I have always held this team close. I go to several games each year and have religiously followed this thread for over 2 - and can honestly say that there are no better fans. When I was younger, I loved going to the games because I always felt an expectation that the team would play well and that things would happen. We all agree that the past several years have been difficult to handle as fans and for the team. Fortunately, it looks like "our" time is here with more to come.

Also, its not said enough how much posters like RB, GLM, the Doc, Charlene, EHF, Wicked, GRuss, and yes even RC add (sorry for anyone that I forgot off the top of my head), but thanks for your commitment and thoughts / views.

Comment

And BTW - I LOVE the SWAGGER !! We have kids with speed and can't carry it. I think that RC also posted that "speed kills" and I have always said that in my almost 20 years of coaching youth hockey. The game is supposed to be fun, and it sounds like this team is going to be having a lot of it in the years to come. I can wait to see the swagger we have a couple years from now...and they will have earned every bit of it.

Comment

Great analysis RC. For my money, what you reported in #1 is a key indicator. Teams that don't have talent or confidence dump it in. Let's hope it continues, and they tighten the defense.
              Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

All this talk of "Swagger" made me think of these commercials.

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xrSNzSkvi70&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xrSNzSkvi70&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">

Comment

Have not posted on the boards for a while. Lurking around but I feel like the freshman will make an impact but the upperclassmen need to start putting pucks in the back of the net. Pirri and the rest of the freshman can only take away the pressure from the defense for so long. But overall I liked what I saw saturday night and will be interested to see what happens when we play two Hockey East schools to start off the season.
                  Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Just thought I'd chime in to say how nice it is to see you all excited about RPI's prospects this season. I don't seem to be doing too well at finding the time and energy to post lately, but for this first game you've all already done it better than I could have anyway. (I'm standing by my perennial statement that I'm better at the big picture and the psyche angle than at hockey analysis.)

In case anyone is interested, there are some pictures up at http://www.rpihockey.net/pics.cgi?id=091003.
                    Go easy on me - the pictures aren't great but I'm always rusty after the summer layoff. I really don't like those socks either, I have to say. I do like the "18" stickers on the helmets in memory of Nate Marsters, though.

One last thing for those who remember me proclaiming last year that I wasn't going to get excited about Pirri, D'Amigo et al until they actually played for RPI. I haven't really made the acquaintance of the other freshmen yet, but Jerry D'Amigo is officially one of "my boys" now, and a terrific kid, and I therefore won't tolerate any criticism of him. (Kidding, kidding - as long as it's fair criticism, I respect anyone's right to air their opinions here.)
                    Charlene

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
                      In case anyone is interested, there are some pictures up at http://www.rpihockey.net/pics.cgi?id=091003.
                      Go easy on me - the pictures aren't great but I'm always rusty after the summer layoff. I really don't like those socks either, I have to say. I do like the "18" stickers on the helmets in memory of Nate Marsters, though.
                      Thanks for the pics. It looks like the socks are designed to allow better air flow to the back of the calf. Interesting. I don't think I've ever been out on the ice thinking "if only my calves weren't so sweaty and hot..". Of course they could also be designed to reduce the overall equipment weight by another few grams.

I like the front of the white socks.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                        Thanks for the pics. It looks like the socks are designed to allow better air flow to the back of the calf. Interesting. I don't think I've ever been out on the ice thinking "if only my calves weren't so sweaty and hot..". Of course they could also be designed to reduce the overall equipment weight by another few grams.
                        Either way would be an improvement. I haven't had the opportunity to play in some time, but I specifically remember watching steam come off of my calves in the dressing room after a game. I won't knock it unless I've tried it.
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Either way would be an improvement. I haven't had the opportunity to play in some time, but I specifically remember watching steam come off of my calves in the dressing room after a game. I won't knock it unless I've tried it.
                          Perhaps there is also an aerodynamic aspect to the design which helps reduce the drag coefficient or promote laminar flow around the legs.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                            Perhaps there is also an aerodynamic aspect to the design which helps reduce the drag coefficient or promote laminar flow around the legs.
                            I love it when you talk dirty.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by blocker View Post
                              Everybody is entitled to their own opinion on swagger. Some people like it while others do not. From my perspective there are a number of reasons you do not see a lot of it in d-1 hockey . 1) Most coaches view it as counter productive to their generally staid concept of team, 2) It has the potential to alienate other team members 3) It can motivate the opposition and 4) It can make you a target on the ice.

It will be very interesting to see how COACH deals with it if it continues to manifest itself. Personally i like score the goal, celebrate a bit with your line , sit down, shut up, get ready to skate your next shift an score again.
                              My perspective: having swagger does not equal being an a-hole. It's just being confident, happy, and excited, and wanting your team and fans to share that feeling. You're just an a-hole when you taunt someone, try to make them feel like s**t, or go way overboard over something minor.

It sounds to me like you're talking about someone being an a-hole, not a guy getting pumped up and getting the people around him in on it.

That being said, my rebuttal:

1) Since the moment Appert was hired, he's taken every opportunity to gas people up about the future of this program... the fans, alumni, students, media, players, recruits, everyone. He's done a great job of it! He's also been very vocal about his vision of playing a speedy, highly skilled, high energy, high scoring style; one in very stark contrast to the "Rugby on ice" style of the ECAC. What about any of that gives you the impression that SA wants these kids to contain their exuberance when it's completely justified and they're not hurting the team with it?

2) Please clarify this for me because I'm hard pressed to find any reason a teammate would be offput by a guy getting really excited by a great goal or whatever else.

3) You'd actually advise showing no soul and no personality just to guard against ****ing off the other team? F that. "Never dim your light so someone else can shine." I like what RC said here, "Don't like it? Stop 'em."

4) Any player that puts pucks in the net is gonna be a target, whether they are loud or not. Plus, a target isn't bad because while the other team is focused on one or two guys, the ice opens up for the rest of the team. Why do you think the Cav's win? It's because their opponents are always double and triple teaming LaBron!

I find it very difficult to believe that the guys would get carried away with their celebrations enough for it to have a negative effect on the team. I mean D'Amigo and Pirri have played at very highly competetive levels and managed to be successful and maintain very good reputations. I don't think they'll somehow misplace the characters that made it possible. Also, I'm completely confident that the team captains would address an issue well before the coaches would need to pay much attention to it. However, if it did become that much of an issue, I'm sure Appert would deal with it quite effectively and still manage to keep from having a squad of drones.
                              "Three words: Hard-working. Alpha-male. Jackhammer. Merciless. Insatiable."

Comment

Adam Oates will be behind the bench for the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X