we skated hard
    there goalie had 10 big saves
    we got 3 pp goals
    we didnt give up a pp goal
    our freshman are very skilled
    our d was a little shaky but will straighten it out
    at mass thurs vs unh sat hope our legs are fresh and we compete

york is ready
    i can agree with five out of your eight statments.

Comment

• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

Originally posted by blocker View Post
      Could it be possible that some of us are more observant than others!
      Possible.

Anyway, since I am observant, here are my observations.

1) I haven't been around in a couple of years, but wow, was it awesome to see the Engineers trying to gain the zone by skating it in. I had grown used to watching them play dump and chase for so many years. I dump and chase when I play, but then again, I'm not a Division I hockey player. Big ups for this alone, especially D'Amigo.

2) I saw someone say something about the swagger they saw from freshmen. I agree, and I like it. Watching Pirri salute Section 17 after scoring his first goal and then do the hockey equivalent of the jersey pop after scoring in the shootout underscores one thing - he is PUMPED to be here. D'Amigo also seemed very much into it, and remember, this was an exhibition. The first thing I thought of was how silly it was for Ralph and DrD to fret over whether they would show up on campus. They're loving this. You can tell these guys can't wait for the games that count.

3) The freshman class as a whole is as advertised. C.J. Lee looked like he was about to score the winning goal a couple of times late in the third, and that would have been so perfect. These four guys are awesome, and big props to Chase Polacek and Tyler Helfrich too. Both of those guys had great games. We could have three dangerous scoring lines and a grind line before all is said and done.

4) Adding on to #3, Merriam looks like he'll be a great compliment to York, and York looks like he's ready to go. This makes me happy.

5) Brutlag needs to relax. A lot. He tries to do too much and gets caught out of position because of it. I'm not suggesting that he suddenly become a stay-at-home d-man or anything, but he can't be a one-man wrecking crew.

6) Pirri tries to do everything too but he had a lot more success at it. Maybe he IS a one-man wrecking crew.

7) John Kennedy is the friggin man. He works hard on every single shift and just does his job exceptionally well. Certainly a leader worth emulating.

8) The power play is going to be much, much better this year I think. Bergin has all the makings of the perfect QB on the blue line, and the PP gives Pirri, D'Amigo, and Helfrich a chance to really annihilate together. This might be the most exciting possibility of all.

9) PEI reminded me of Cornell on steroids. Bigger guys playing about as much clutch and grab. But as a fellow poster said to me, "speed kills." And we've got speed.

10) It does look like the vision that Seth Appert laid out when he took over is coming to fruition. This is now a team that can score on practically any shift. If we can get the defense into lockdown, we're in business.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

RC good comments.

I had the same thought about UPEI compared to Cornell. Then I noticed that their coach didn't have Kindergarten tantrums.

Any comments by anyone as to how Pirri looked in the defensive zone?
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

One thing I forgot to add about the swagger. I do like it, and I do understand that the freshmen were probably uber-excited to finally be playing in front of the home crowd after months and months of anticipation, but if it continues, especially Pirri, I can see opposing fans getting beotchy about it, similar to the kvetching that goes on in baseball whenever Joba Chamberlain does his fist pump.

That said, they can pretty much suck it if they complain. Again as a fellow poster said to me: "don't like it? Stop him."

And since I love schadenfreude, I'd love to see it continue - as long as there's good cause for it, like scoring goals. These guys are good, and they know they're good. That's a great way to deal with the pressure that everyone's putting on them to carry the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            I had the same thought about UPEI compared to Cornell. Then I noticed that their coach didn't have Kindergarten tantrums.
            Not true. Their coach was practically out on the ice when he earned the bench minor. He was arguing for a trip to be called on RPI during the power play and was making quite the scene after O'Grady's goal.

He very much played the part of Mike Schafer to a "T."
            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
              Not true. Their coach was practically out on the ice when he earned the bench minor. He was arguing for a trip to be called on RPI during the power play and was making quite the scene after O'Grady's goal.

He very much played the part of Mike Schafer to a "T."
              I suspect that the TV cameras used on B2 didn't focus on him. I do recall a bench minor.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                One thing I forgot to add about the swagger. I do like it, and I do understand that the freshmen were probably uber-excited to finally be playing in front of the home crowd after months and months of anticipation, but if it continues, especially Pirri, I can see opposing fans getting beotchy about it, similar to the kvetching that goes on in baseball whenever Joba Chamberlain does his fist pump.

That said, they can pretty much suck it if they complain. Again as a fellow poster said to me: "don't like it? Stop him."

And since I love schadenfreude, I'd love to see it continue - as long as there's good cause for it, like scoring goals. These guys are good, and they know they're good. That's a great way to deal with the pressure that everyone's putting on them to carry the team.
                I don't usually care for over celebration, but as long as they keep it between the team and the student section, I am all for it.
                And if it gets to the opposition, try to stop them.
                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                Benjamin Franklin
                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                  I don't usually care for over celebration, but as long as they keep it between the team and the student section, I am all for it.
                  And if it gets to the opposition, try to stop them.
                  I recall Pirri being exuberant after several goals in the videos posted last season.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Missed the bench minor the PEI coach picked up for cursing out the refs?

Edit: Looks like I'm late to the game on this response.
                    APBWiki

Comment

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion on swagger. Some people like it while others do not. From my perspective there are a number of reasons you do not see a lot of it in d-1 hockey . 1) Most coaches view it as counter productive to their generally staid concept of team, 2) It has the potential to alienate other team members 3) It can motivate the opposition and 4) It can make you a target on the ice.

It will be very interesting to see how COACH deals with it if it continues to manifest itself. Personally i like score the goal, celebrate a bit with your line , sit down, shut up, get ready to skate your next shift an score again. But i am old school, actually older than dirt school.

(you really cannot compare PEI to Cornell / that is a hole different level of clutch and grab )
                      Last edited by blocker; 10-05-2009, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I like the swagger. Just my opinion as a real old timer. It can work against you though as we found out when Brad Tapper got a 10 minute misconduct in one home game when he rode the stick in front of the opponent's bench after a goal. After the past few years of futility I welcome a bit of bravado.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          I like the swagger. Just my opinion as a real old timer. It can work against you though as we found out when Brad Tapper got a 10 minute misconduct in one home game when he rode the stick in front of the opponent's bench after a goal. After the past few years of futility I welcome a bit of bravado.
                          America is a wonderful place! god bless the 1st amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            I was at that game. It was freaking awesome and well deserved after all the trash talking that Vermont had been doing up to that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                              I was at that game. It was freaking awesome and well deserved after all the trash talking that Vermont had been doing up to that point.
                              Anything bad that happens to Vermont is always well earned.

Good on Tapper for it.
                              R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                                Anything bad that happens to Vermont is always well earned.

Good on Tapper for it.
                                Even better, it was in Burlington.

Even better better, it was the last game UVM played that year before their season got ****canned.

Comment

Working...
                                X