X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Definitely a good sign.
    Actually, I just remembered..... the football game was televised. Perhaps the curse carries over to them as well?

Comment

What a good looking recruiting class we have! I was very impressed by them tonight. Pirri was awesome with the stick. We will definiatly score more goals this year. Even though Lee didn't score, I thought he played a great game. I look foward to seeing more of him. D'Amigo and O'Grady also played well.
      I think Foss needs to step up his game. I am glad Merriam saw some ice time as well. I was a little surprised Rabbani didn't play.
      3 powerplay goals in one game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Go RPI
      Last edited by Go Puckman; 10-03-2009, 09:39 PM. Reason: powerplay

Comment

I too was surprised Rabbani didn't play. As for my thoughts on the game, I'll just re-post what I said in the score thread since that won't see much action:

The freshmen are the real deal. The problem tonight were the defensemen on two of the three goals. Brutal turnover by Burgdoerfer in the first period and Brutlag trying to do too much in the third lead to the odd-man rushes on each of those goals. I think York was screened on the second goal, he reacted like he didn't see it, that's for sure.

D'Amigo and Pirri are as advertised. Pirri's goal was just him working hard down low, got a kind bounce and he was right there to park it. D'Amigo's goal was something else, total roof shot to beat the goaltender. Just beautiful. O'Grady's goal was him taking advantage of being wide open and having a good amount of net to shoot at.

I know folks think that York will be the deciding factor for how this team does, but I'm going to say it's on the defense to get it together and play smart and not try to do too much. All of Pirri, D'Amigo and Lee (who played very impressive despite not making the score sheet) played excellent tonight. O'Grady was still a bit green there but played well. Polacek and Helfrich each benefited greatly from having those new guys out there with them.

This was a very encouraging performance tonight.
        R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

It will be interesting to see how UPEI does against Quinnipiac on Sunday. My optimism will be very much tempered if the Q wins 8-1.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

It will be interesting to see how UPEI does against Quinnipiac on Sunday. My optimism will be very much tempered if the Q wins 8-1.
            i feel the same way. We did however manage to score 3 goals which was not all that common the past 2 years. I believe we scored 3 or more only 11 times last year and twelve the year before. The first real test comes thursday-but as of now i do not fear special teams play as much as i did the past 2 years. That is the part of the game that used to kill us but I think now we have a power play to compete.
            Last edited by DrDemento; 10-04-2009, 10:22 AM.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Last night I would have agreed with that comment, but having time to think about the game, I do not.
              In the openning minute of the game, Pirri had a clear shot on goal and did not score. I was disappointed and thought "here we go again".
              Then after a night's sleep, I realized that he is a rookie and probably a little tight. There were other good chances in the first period that were not cashed in, but the guys we we're counting on were all playing their first college period. I will cut them some slack.
              By the third period, they found the net, and that is very exciting, because now they won't be squeezing their sticks to try to get that first goal.
              I look forward to UMass on Thursday night.
              Last edited by engineerhockeyfan; 10-04-2009, 07:13 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

The box score alone should be enough to make people here breathe a little easier (3G and 2A from freshmen, 3/8 PP, 36 SOG). What I found really encouraging last night was their attitude and how they carried themselves throughout the game. I mean, while it's certainly validating to see that Pirri and D'Amigo are as good as advertised, it really doesn't come as much of a surprise. What was surprising through was that the air around the team from last two seasons seemed to be missing for the most part.
                They were trailing nearly the entire game and never seemed to be overly concerned by it, which is lightyears from how they were last season. They seemed to pick up momentum as the game wore on rather than running out of gas halfway through the 2nd.
                They mixed it up with PEI, playing a physical game, but without the stupid penalties that they'd grown accustom to taking as well. The physicality seemed so much less a product of frustration and more reasonable than in the past.
                IMO, the most evident change was the excitement they showed. Maybe it's just me, but they've seemed very robotic in the last few years; they didn't seem to have much emotion at all. They would say that they were confident and optimistic, but I never really got that impression from watching them play. Last night was something else. After D'Amigo scored he was fired up and pointed right to Sec. 15 in celebration. When Pirri roofed one in the shootout he popped his jersey while again pointing to the stands. I love it! Finally, we're showing some swagger and some confidence. I'm making the trek to Amherst Thursday and I can't wait to see how they have in store.
                "Three words: Hard-working. Alpha-male. Jackhammer. Merciless. Insatiable."

Comment

This team was no push over.Looking at the roster they are very old.8-'85...3-'86...7- '87...6-'88 and at least 10 player listed their previous team as an OHL major junior team(rules must be different in canadien college hockey)also 18 of the players were 6 foot or taller and many were over 200lbs...no pushovers for sure...It was a great comeback tie fueled by all freshmen.Pirri's goal was awesome he had to put the puck between his legs to get it on his forehand to score....this was all done on the goal mouth with no panic at all
                  What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                    I too was surprised Rabbani didn't play. As for my thoughts on the game, I'll just re-post what I said in the score thread since that won't see much action:

The freshmen are the real deal. The problem tonight were the defensemen on two of the three goals. Brutal turnover by Burgdoerfer in the first period and Brutlag trying to do too much in the third lead to the odd-man rushes on each of those goals. I think York was screened on the second goal, he reacted like he didn't see it, that's for sure.

D'Amigo and Pirri are as advertised. Pirri's goal was just him working hard down low, got a kind bounce and he was right there to park it. D'Amigo's goal was something else, total roof shot to beat the goaltender. Just beautiful. O'Grady's goal was him taking advantage of being wide open and having a good amount of net to shoot at.

I know folks think that York will be the deciding factor for how this team does, but I'm going to say it's on the defense to get it together and play smart and not try to do too much. All of Pirri, D'Amigo and Lee (who played very impressive despite not making the score sheet) played excellent tonight. O'Grady was still a bit green there but played well. Polacek and Helfrich each benefited greatly from having those new guys out there with them.

This was a very encouraging performance tonight.
                    I agree with all of this. There were several excellent feeds & centering passes in the 1st that shooters didn't connect on. Many of these were skilled looks that we haven't seen much of in recent years. Pirri did a great job of gathering the loose puck on his back hand and getting it up and over the sliding keeper. D'Amigo's roof-topper was a highlight reel goal..he spun around hard to the net and snapped it in before the keeper had time to react...pretty. At that point you could sense the blood in the water and the refs decided to start whistling PEI late in the 3rd. Pirri & Helfrich's shootout goals were nice as well.

I thought PEI was as advertised - they played a physical clutching game, that the zebras allowed. They gained the blueline at will much of the night . That said, this is the reason you schedule exhibitions...to get kids on the ice in different situations. On one PP, we had four forwards on the ice we turned the puck over forcing Pirri to get back and play D. I hope I don't have to see too much of that this season

Merriam did a great job of standing up to the heat in the 3rd period and OT. His unique way of addressing the shootout skater (he starts out sideways with his shoulders facing the side boards, with one arm on the crossbar, then he turns and addresses the shooter)...weird. I may take a run at the UMass game this week.
                    Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 10-04-2009, 09:30 AM.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by The Comeback Kid View Post
                      They mixed it up with PEI, playing a physical game, but without the stupid penalties that they'd grown accustom to taking as well. The physicality seemed so much less a product of frustration and more reasonable than in the past.
                      Agree. I thought Malchuk's few shifts in the third brought a needed tough attitude. Like him or not, Joel is strong on his skates. In the 3rd he stood up to a PEI kid over near their bench and the PEI kid ended taking an extra swing, leading to an RPI PP and goal. It didn't make the scoresheet but it was a big play in the period/game.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                        ...should be interesting. Human resources (CP) can be difficult when hiring Canadians!
                        I was wondering about that. Only Broad was behind the bench with Appert last night. I'm sure Monty was out on the recruiting trail. We need somebody to coach the D...be it Vines or whomever...times a wastin'.

A few unrelated items: I have to say that the ECAV (gawd this things needs a nickname) is a VERY impressive facility indeed. There are many D1 schools who would drool at seeing that set up. Seeing it lit up last night, it was quite a sight. A tip of the hat to the architects. Also, with RPI jacking the entry fees for the Patroon Room from $2,000 to $5,000 .. they'll be no stale brownies and coffee between periods for me this year. Pretty aggressive increase if you ask me...I guess they're trying to pay for all of that TV airtime?? My one trip past the room last night revealed more staff than patrons (Patroons?) in the room.
                        Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 10-04-2009, 09:46 AM.

Comment

The Huskies Pep Band would greatly appreciate it if you bring your pep band to the GLI this year.
                          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                            The Huskies Pep Band would greatly appreciate it if you bring your pep band to the GLI this year.
                            The band won't be there officially, but there may be enough of us alums coming out to put something together. Depends on what we end up with for a group.
                            APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                              The band won't be there officially, but there may be enough of us alums coming out to put something together. Depends on what we end up with for a group.
                              Does the band have other events that weekend or could we also see some of them making the road trip out to the Joe just for the games?
                              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                                Does the band have other events that weekend or could we also see some of them making the road trip out to the Joe just for the games?
                                A few of them may end up traveling with us (our alum crew traveling out is mostly band alums) but being winter break most of the band disperses altogether, as a good portion of them aren't local to RPI.
                                APBWiki

Comment

Working...
                                X