X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Did anyone attend the sled hockey game?
    I wasn't at the game, but I found this article.

http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...eaWoEnQDjydfuQ
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

For the football fans-RPI defeated Utica today in a game they were losing 14-3 at the half but came back to win 17-14. Quite exciting at the end as RPI had to block 2 field goals from inside the 30 yard line to preserve the win. Utica is not a pushover as evidenced by their scoring over 60 points in each of their first 2 games. RPI is now 2-0 for the season and gets ready for the Liberty League schedule.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        I wasn't at the game, but I found this article.

http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...eaWoEnQDjydfuQ
        Nice article. I wonder whose website this refers to.
        "Nobody told me”: A roster on an unofficial RPI website listed Vassel’s position as “left defense/right defense.”
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I have that 1985 intro & game on tape. It is required watching every year.
          Vassel's only playing time may be on defense thanks to the healthy competition up front ( and on d for that matter).

Comment

Originally posted by Havasu M View Post
            I have that 1985 intro & game on tape. It is required watching every year.
            Vassel's only playing time may be on defense thanks to the healthy competition up front ( and on d for that matter).
            The 1985 championship game is available on DVD from the NCAA http://www.ncaaondemand.com/clips/30699014_0151. Sadly, they don't have the UMD game. The DVD does not include that pregame discussion or the between periods commentaries.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I have the UMD game on tape also. I think ESPN cut some of it due to time restrictions but all the essentials are there. Also required viewing. One of the best games ever although I did not see it in person. My favorites in person were the 1974 playoff game at top seeded UNH - a 7-6 overtime win for RPI (the record for the four fastest goals 1:20 still stands) and the 4-3 freakout win against Clarkson in OT (Cavosie /Murley Era). RPI was down 3 to zip with 10 minutes left and showed nothing the whole game. I am sure everyone else has their own favorites. Feel free to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Did anyone attend the sled hockey game?
                Atended the game .....the most noteworthy thing was new jerseys....more RED on the home jersey ... and gone from the shoulder is the Puckman patch ... replaced w/the school crest.... also they are Warrior Hockey instead of Easton...IMO they look pretty good
                What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have the UMD game on tape also. I think ESPN cut some of it due to time restrictions but all the essentials are there. Also required viewing. One of the best games ever although I did not see it in person. My favorites in person were the 1974 playoff game at top seeded UNH - a 7-6 overtime win for RPI (the record for the four fastest goals 1:20 still stands) and the 4-3 freakout win against Clarkson in OT (Cavosie /Murley Era). RPI was down 3 to zip with 10 minutes left and showed nothing the whole game. I am sure everyone else has their own favorites. Feel free to share.
                  45 years of RPI hockey has given me some real favorites. 1968 OT win over Cornell 4-3 at HFH and beating Ken Dryden is one of my all time favorites. The 3-3 tie with Clarkson Dec 1970 is another (my wife went into labor at the game and we rushed her to AMC to deliver my daughter that night). The two games at Joe Louis Arena in 1985 (Jenny and I lost our voices screaming for weeks after). 1995 at Lake Placid for the ECAC tournament beating Colgate and then Princeton in the final were also in my top games.

Comment

That saturday nite Dec 1970 Clarkson tie was a good one. The previous wednesday, RPI beat Cornell 6-3 what a week that was. I think it was 60 degrees during the week and then snowed two feet that covered the ground until April.

Comment

Originally posted by rpihockeyfan13 View Post
                      Came across this video on youtube today and it just got posted yesterday. It's a video of the intro of the television broadcast of the 1985 Hockey Championship Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXbrXH92OwA
                      That was a blast from the past. It's fun to see how the game has changed, although not necessarily for the better. The two things that stood out were PC's Cooperalls and the size of the goalie pads. I know a lot of people were anti-Cooperalls, but I liked them. I also wouldn't be opposed to further restrictions on the goaltender's pads - sometimes it seems as if they could block out the sun much less a 4'x6' net.

As for my favorite game, I've said before on this board that my favorite RPI game was also my first. In the fall of '76 #1 Michigan came to town. Having lost on Friday night the Engineers fell behind 5-1 on Saturday but rallied behind transfer goaltender Ian "Goober" Harrison to win 8-7. The big crowd almost took the roof off the Fieldhouse. From then on I was hooked.
                      Last edited by rpi82; 09-20-2009, 12:24 AM.

Comment

In honor of Joel Malchuk and Janessa Haller, today is 20 September 2009. There are 13 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October for the start of next season.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

That saturday nite Dec 1970 Clarkson tie was a good one. The previous wednesday, RPI beat Cornell 6-3 what a week that was. I think it was 60 degrees during the week and then snowed two feet that covered the ground until April.
                          I had a Camaro back then-parked it on the streets of Albany that december and could not dig it out until end of April. Tied a scarf to the antenna so the plows would know it was there. Never saw so much snow in one year.

Comment

While I can't compete with the longevity, I still have some favorites.
                            Joel Laing shutting out Cornell in an ECAC tournament game. Circa late nineties.
                            RPI scoring the tying goal with under 10 seconds left then beating Dartmouth in an ECAC tournament game Circa early 2000's.
                            And 1993 RPI tourney winning game against Umass Lowell. Romp against Dwayne Roloson.
                            I have the 1995 ECAC semi and championship games on Tape. Both great games.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              While I can't compete with the longevity, I still have some favorites.
                              Joel Laing shutting out Cornell in an ECAC tournament game. Circa late nineties.
                              RPI scoring the tying goal with under 10 seconds left then beating Dartmouth in an ECAC tournament game Circa early 2000's.
                              And 1993 RPI tourney winning game against Umass Lowell. Romp against Dwayne Roloson.
                              I have the 1995 ECAC semi and championship games on Tape. Both great games.
                              Jen and I remember that UMass tournament game-didnt we beat them 11-3 after scoring 12 against Mt Allison? Roloson came in so highly touted and we just smoked him that day!

Comment

I remember a game against Yale 1978 or so. RPI scored the tying goal shorthanded with less than one minute left on a Donnie Boyd rush. Then they won in overtime with about 15 secondes left. Seems to be a trend in my favorites. RPI win in OT last second heroics.

Comment

Working...
                                X