D1 or D3 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1 or D3 ??

I must admit I only see one or two Division 1 games a year and probably 5-6 D3 games a year. However, I often wonder why would a young girl who may not be an impact player or a player who does not play at all would still want to go "play D1" when in fact they don't play. Just a thought.

Re: D1 or D3 ??

Originally posted by valiantfan08 View Post
    I must admit I only see one or two Division 1 games a year and probably 5-6 D3 games a year. However, I often wonder why would a young girl who may not be an impact player or a player who does not play at all would still want to go "play D1" when in fact they don't play. Just a thought.
    Ego.

Or more likely, Parent's ego.

Comment

Or because if you can't be in the Olympics, winning a D1 championship (and playing with some of the best players in the world) is pretty much the pinnacle of the women's game?

Not to mention the facilities and perks that a lot of D1 programs have that D3 programs can't offer.

Nothing wrong with playing D3, but I wouldn't bag on anyone for playing D1 even if they get limited icetime. They're just chasing the dream like anyone else.
      BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
      -
      Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Maybe they like the school?

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

To cite BC as an example, even if you ride on the bench most of the time, you get to play in the same rink that Joe Mullen, Brian Gionta, Brian Leetch, Nate Gerbe, Alison Quandt, Sarah Carlson, Molly Schaus, and Kell Stack have played on, plus you get access to strength and conditioning facilities designed for a top-40 D1A football program. And, they get to throw on the same jersey and be a part of the same program that plays on ESPN, etc.

Same goes if you play for the Gophers or Wisco or BU or North Dakota or another storied program. It's an honor just to play on that level.

Not to mention the fact that, as vell said, the primary consideration is (or at least should be) academic and social fit at a certain school.
          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
          -
          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

at the end of the day their is no NHL and pro scouts at your games, so you might as well and enjoy the experience and PLAY. Obviously the high end players should play D1.

Comment

I'll grant it that certain college environments (large flagship State U for example) don't exist in D3, so if that is your thing, go there. I guess they must enjoy practicing with the varsity squad and hang with them on game day.

Hard to imagine though spending so many years playing youth hockey to spend so much time practicing at college with only an occasional shift when you do get to dress....

The good news is though that many of them come to miss the game time and transfer to D3 after a year or 2 of this.

Comment

Originally posted by notfromaroundhere View Post
                I'll grant it that certain college environments (large flagship State U for example) don't exist in D3, so if that is your thing, go there. I guess they must enjoy practicing with the varsity squad and hang with them on game day.

Hard to imagine though spending so many years playing youth hockey to spend so much time practicing at college with only an occasional shift when you do get to dress....

The good news is though that many of them come to miss the game time and transfer to D3 after a year or 2 of this.
                mostly to UW-Superior
                UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

I will throw a twist into this..

Student who Loves two or more sports, could PLAY Div 1 in either... to do this you have to give up 1 of them in most cases.

Follow the Dream.... If that dream is two sports on college you have to give up something either way

Comment

even if you ride on the bench most of the time,
                    Wow, thats one way to look at it I guess. So give up a chance to actually play the sport you love at, lets say a NESCAC school to wear the same jersey Gionta and ect wore? Crazy!!!! Hopefully you find a good school and a place you will play.
                    Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

I agree with whomever said something about ego. Bragging rights..."I play D1 hockey at **********". It doesn't matter if they see one shift a game or one shift all season, they can say they play D1 hockey. Since it is more important that the academic fit be right, the first priority should be just that. Is this a school I want to attend, do I want big or small classes, do I mind there are 10,000 students or is that overwhelming to me, would I do better with a school the size of my high school. These are the questions a student should be pondering. They should not be picking the school based on whether it is a D1 or D3 program, they should be picking the school based on the school itself. Hockey is still, when day is done, just a game.

Just my two cents.
                      "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Comment

Originally posted by vellnueve View Post
                        Maybe they like the school?
                        They better more than just like the school, they better love it. Any child going to play D1 or even D3 for that mattaer are a very select few each year. Most of the kids going on to play hockey in college are usually the better players on their teams they played on while in high school. It would be hard for anyone who used to be one of the better players, who got the most ice time on their pre-college teams, to then become a player who many times does not dress for most college games.

These are young competitive people, and as I look around the D1 and D3 rinks at the players who do not dress, they are not usually all that happy.

Sooooo, you better love the school you are at, because the sport that you loved in high school that now you do not play that much for, is going to be a very frustrating part of your life.

I do not know many kids that love to practice, but do not mind not playing games. Find a school that you really like where you know you will be a real factor in games and enjoy your 4 years.

Just my 2 cents!!

Comment

If hockey is that far up on my daughter's priority list, I'd want her on the team where she might get some playing time. It's not like there's a post-college ice hockey career for her anyway so I'd want her to be happy and enjoy the time she has left in the sport. If her academics were such that D1 is the place to be, then I'd take the bench with the better curriculum.

Comment

Some people love the WHOLE aspect of the game, rather than just the glory and praise given for scoring lots of goals.

Winning a D1 Championship is the closest that most girls can get to winning a Stanley Cup. You're still a part of the team, doing the workouts, bonding, and are still very important in the teams success

Comment

Many good points so far but here are some other considerations that I don't think have been mentioned:

1. Some may have a D1 scholarship offer (athletic, even if partial) that comes into play when weighing their decision. Even if it's probable at the time that she likely won't get much playing time, money (bottom line cost) can be a big consideration, especially in this economy.

2. Some may choose to take advantage of their hockey skill as a way to gain admission to a prestigious school, like one of the Ivy's, which could outweigh playing time considerations. Here again, the final cost could actually be less (vs. a prestigious/private D3 school) when financial need is taken into consideration. Or if cost is not a serious issue, or no issue at all, mere acceptance into her "dream school" can take priority over being a 1st liner at the D3 level.

3. For a variety of reasons D1 coaches will try and ususally succeed at attracting more players than they can have suit up at given game. There will almost always be some extras, irrespective of all the individual decisions made (and the rationale for making them) from the perspective of each player. Some who come in with high expectations don't pan out; others who are recruited as role players end up over-achieving and become an intregal part of the team.

Bottom line is that it's easy to second-guess a player's reasoning after it's all said and done, as the circumstances and priorities for each one will be different!
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X