2010 Olympic Team - State by State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Olympic Team - State by State

Hockey is about to begin. This week, we are breaking up Team USA into different State teams. Being in Lansing, I had the pleasure of working on Team Michigan. The forwards represent a Noah's Ark of college and Jr. teams; Plymouth Whalers, Michigan State Spartans, Michigan Wolverines, Lake Superior State Lakers to name a few.

There are 6 U.S. states which have produced 71.5% of US hockey players playing in today's NHL(any guesses as to which 6 they are?). Interestingly Michigan slightly edged Minnesota as the number one producer of NHL talent.

This team has some very experienced upper management, great goaltending, older forwards and a solid but not flashy defensive core.

Coach: Dan Bylsma (Bowling Green State University) - While he probably isn't the most highly regarded person right now in Michigan after his Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Red Wings in the Stanley Cup, the pride of Grand Haven, Michigan would be my selection to lead Team Michigan. While he doesn't have a tremendous amount of NHL coaching experience he seemed to get the best out of the Pens for the short period of time he had them. Plus with Mike Illitch as owner and Craig Patrick as GM he will have plenty of experience around him.

Goalie:

1. Tim Thomas (University of Vermont Catamounts)

2. Ryan Miller (Michigan State Spartans)

3. Brent Johnson (Owen Sound Attack)
    To check out Team Michigan, click here.
    Last edited by WpgMikos; 08-03-2009, 02:44 PM.

Re: 2010 Olympic Team - State by State

Looks like most of the guys stayed in State to go to school. No surprise most attended University of Minnesota. School next best represented was University of North Dakota.

Team Minnesota:

As supplied by Goon of Goon’s World:

Coming as no big surprise, Team Minnesota looks like the class of the south of the border entries. A potent forward group and young, mobile defensive corps make the 10000 Lakers a team to beat. The Achilles Heel seems to be their goaltending, which, while talented, is a little shy on experience.

Coach: Dean Blais- While he lacks professional experience, Blais is a keen motivator who knows how to handle this group, mainly former collegians. He won’t take any **** and will get the most out of any underachievers.

Goalie:

1. Alex Stalock

2. Adam Berkhoel

3. John Curry
    For a complete look at Team Minnesota, click here.

Comment

Not sure about who the other four states would be. My guesses are NY, MA, WI and... PA?
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Not sure about who the other four states would be. My guesses are NY, MA, WI and... PA?
        Close. Mich, Minn, NY, MA, WI & Ill. However the lions share come from the first four.

Comment

Originally posted by WpgMikos View Post
          Close. Mich, Minn, NY, MA, WI & Ill. However the lions share come from the first four.
          I've always found it interesting that there's so many players from Illinois, yet we don't have a D-I team there. Of course, it's only a matter of a time before U-Illinois and Northwestern add teams and join the BTHC.
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
            I've always found it interesting that there's so many players from Illinois, yet we don't have a D-I team there. Of course, it's only a matter of a time before U-Illinois and Northwestern add teams and join the BTHC.
            Whoa, there. That kind of talk around here can get you ROPORTED, smart guy.

I don't know if I'd say that its a matter of time... frankly, I think the Blackhawks would have to continue their current streak of relevence for another 20 years continuously before some of that hockey goodwill spills towards any of NU, U-I (again), UIC (again), DePaul, NIU, etc.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Notre Dame is basically in the Chicago media market. They get more publicity than both Illinois and Northwestern. I would like to see Illinois get a D-1 team, I believe they could be quite successful right away.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Whoa, there. That kind of talk around here can get you ROPORTED, smart guy.

I don't know if I'd say that its a matter of time... frankly, I think the Blackhawks would have to continue their current streak of relevence for another 20 years continuously before some of that hockey goodwill spills towards any of NU, U-I (again), UIC (again), DePaul, NIU, etc.
                Dude, I think he was kidding...
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Team New York:

Team New York is an interesting mix. The 27th largest state in the union based on total geography, it ranks as the third in total population. As a result one would expect that New York state would be well represented in the NHL. Turns out that it currently ranks third, behind Michigan and Minnesota.

Very talented group of forwards without alot of pop from the back end. The goalie contingent looks like a future Red Wings goalie camp. To complete our trio we had to coax a goalie out of recent retirement to have a full compliment of tenders.

Coach: Ted Sator - Not to diminsh Mr. Sator, but it didn’t appear that there was much competition. Couldn’t find any coaches with NHL, AHL or even College experience from NY. He hasn’t been in the NHL in over ten years and last coached in North America at the ECHL level with the New Orleans Brass.

Goalie:

1. Jimmy Howard

2. Robert Esche

3. Thomas McCollum
                  For a complete look at Team New York, click here.

Comment

Not that it matters a bunch, but for Coaches from NY: Mark Morris (Clarkson, now Manchester Monarchs), and Mike Hurlbut (played with Rochester (AHL), Rangers, now coaches at St. Lawrence).

I also would have included Zach Bogosian at D, but it's hard to argue many of the forward selections.

Comment

There seems to be a culture in Illinois that is perfectly content with travel and junior hockey but doesn't want its schools to foot the bill for the sport and all the liabilities therein.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                        Not that it matters a bunch, but for Coaches from NY: Mark Morris (Clarkson, now Manchester Monarchs), and Mike Hurlbut (played with Rochester (AHL), Rangers, now coaches at St. Lawrence).

I also would have included Zach Bogosian at D, but it's hard to argue many of the forward selections.
                        Thanks. Didn't find them when I was doing my search.

Bosgosian and someone mentioned Matt Gillroy were two d-guys I could have included.

Comment

Team Massachusetts:

As part of our ongoing project of choosing Olympic teams based on states and provinces, I volunteered to take Team Mass., thinking it would be pretty easy to find a solid squad. While I was able to round off the defensive corps pretty quickly, the forwards took some work, with a search of the American League made necessary by the lack of NHL calibre forwards hailing from the state.

Coach: Robbie Ftorek. I realize I could have gone with Peter Laviolette, but the mere chance that Ftorek might bring back the sweater look was enough to make me choose him.

Goalies:

1. Rick DiPietro

2. Corey Schneider

3. Mike Morrison
                          For a complete look at Team Massachusetts, click here,

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Comment

Originally posted by WpgMikos View Post
                              Looks like most of the guys stayed in State to go to school. No surprise most attended University of Minnesota. School next best represented was University of North Dakota.

Team Minnesota:

For a complete look at Team Minnesota, click here.
                              Or click here.
                              Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                              Eric's Twitter
                              The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Working...
                              X