Harvard Crimson Women 09-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Crimson Women 09-10

I know last year this thread was started in October, but I figured any place there's news should probably go in a new thread at this point, not in the 08-09 thread. Plus I'm excited for the new season so I decided to make this thread and hope that this makes the offseason go faster.

News: GoCrimson Article on Chowder Cup

(the rosters didn't have Cahow, Kester, or Wilson, or I would have included them)

Chowder Cup Results (Group Play)

The Chowder Cup team, Team Celine, featured four players on the 09-10 Harvard roster.

Returnees Ashley Wheeler and Kate Buesser, with three incoming players, Jillian Dempsey, Kaitlin Spurling, and Josephine Pucci, also playing.

Game 1: Team Celine 9, Honeybaked U19s 0

Goals:
    Jillian Dempsey 2 (1-0 at 3:10 of the first, 3-0 at 11:48 of the first)
    Kate Buesser 1 (5-0 at 1:06 of the second)

Assists:
    Dempsey 2
    Buesser 2

PIM:
    Pucci- 2 min Interference

Game 2: Team Celine 6, Team Aeroflex 0

Goals:
    None

Assists:
    Pucci 1
    Wheeler 1
    Dempsey 1
    Buesser 1

PIM:
    None

Game 3: Team Celine 3, Assabet Valley Blue 1

Goals:
    Dempsey (3-1 at 24:00 of the 2nd period (shortened game), Empty Net Goal)

Assists:
    Buesser 1
    Pucci 1
    Wheeler 1

PIM:
    None

I'll break up this long post by putting the three playoff games in the next post.
    Last edited by alslammerz; 08-03-2009, 01:39 PM. Reason: Added link
    Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
    Go Crimson!

Re: Harvard Crimson Women 09-10

Chowder Cup Playoffs

Game 1: Team Celine 2, TC Warriors 1

Goals:
    Dempsey (2-0 at 13:31 of the 1st, PP, GWG)

Assists:
    Buesser 1
    Pucci 1

PIM:
    Buesser 2 Min. Delay of Game

Game 2: Team Celine 2, CT Polar Stars (A Yale Heavy Team) 1

Goals:
    Buesser 1 (1-0 at 19:44 of the 1st)

Assists:
    None

PIM:
    Spurling 2 Min Tripping

Game 3: Team Celine 1, Niagara Vipers 2 (OT)

Goals: None

Assists:
    Dempsey 1

PIM: None

Total Chowder Cup Stats

Dempsey 4 G, 4 A, 8 P, 0 PIM
    Buesser 2 G, 5 A, 7 P, 2 PIM
    Pucci 0 G, 3 A, 3 P, 2 PIM
    Wheeler 0 G, 2 A, 2 P, 0 PIM
    Spurling 0 G, 0 A, 0 P, 2 PIM
    Last edited by alslammerz; 08-03-2009, 01:37 PM. Reason: Edit: Added more stats
    Go Crimson!

Comment

I can't wait to see Miss Pucci in action for the Crimson this season. I'd not seen her play before this weekend, and was impressed with her skating and overall play. Plus she is very aggressive and makes things happen in all three zones. I expect she will bring a lot of offensive pop to the team in the years to come. (As will Miss Young a year from now)

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
        I can't wait to see Miss Pucci in action for the Crimson this season. I'd not seen her play before this weekend, and was impressed with her skating and overall play. Plus she is very aggressive and makes things happen in all three zones. I expect she will bring a lot of offensive pop to the team in the years to come. (As will Miss Young a year from now)
        Nice article on her here:

http://lohud.com/article/20090807/SP...0377/-1/SPORTS
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
          While I don't expect her to be the second coming of Sarah V (who is?), it is good to hear that she has some offensive skill because we are going to need it. We graduated pretty much the entire offense save for Rybkina, Chute and Buesser and the freshmen are going to have to step in and contribute from Day One if the team expects to be successful.

Comment

I just noticed from the Harvard roster that Pucci is listed as a defenseman. Is this true? I thought she was a forward. Given her skill level, it probably won't be a reach for her to play on the backline or up front depending on what the team needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              I just noticed from the Harvard roster that Pucci is listed as a defenseman. Is this true? I thought she was a forward. Given her skill level, it probably won't be a reach for her to play on the backline or up front depending on what the team needs.
              I'm pretty sure she was listed at D for the Chowder Cup as well. On the bright side, Jillian Dempsey did well as a forward for the tournament so hopefully she can contribute (and it will be nice to see how sophomores like Whitney Kennedy and Ling-Ling Lok can step up and contribute as well.) Not to mention Anna McDonald. This team doesn't have any one particular star this year, but particularly in an Olympic year, maybe that's for the best, as they seem to be pretty deep as a team.

On an almost entirely unrelated note, that tidbit about Pucci playing for the Ramapo Saints has me wondering if I ever got the chance to skate against her in my younger playing days (probably not, I was usually relegated to B/C teams, although I did play Ramapo a fair bit).
              Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                I'm pretty sure she was listed at D for the Chowder Cup as well. On the bright side, Jillian Dempsey did well as a forward for the tournament so hopefully she can contribute (and it will be nice to see how sophomores like Whitney Kennedy and Ling-Ling Lok can step up and contribute as well.) Not to mention Anna McDonald. This team doesn't have any one particular star this year, but particularly in an Olympic year, maybe that's for the best, as they seem to be pretty deep as a team.

On an almost entirely unrelated note, that tidbit about Pucci playing for the Ramapo Saints has me wondering if I ever got the chance to skate against her in my younger playing days (probably not, I was usually relegated to B/C teams, although I did play Ramapo a fair bit).
                Hopefully Dempsey can contribute? Jeez, the kid was an integral part of a World Championship team, won the Carlton Award as the best player in Eastern Mass, and you wonder if she can contribute? I'm sure she will do more than "contribute."

As for the sophs you mentioned, I have heard they have left the team.
                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                  Hopefully Dempsey can contribute? Jeez, the kid was an integral part of a World Championship team, won the Carlton Award as the best player in Eastern Mass, and you wonder if she can contribute? I'm sure she will do more than "contribute."

Freshman don't always just jump in and set the world on fire. And we've had a large conversation on the men's side of the forum about not setting expectation too high for incoming freshmen. So I'll stick with hopefully and contribute for the moment, and use the 2010-11 forum to make higher expectations.

And as for the sophomores I mentioned, both are still on the roster at this point, and I do hope you are wrong.
                  Go Crimson!

Comment

Kessler Earns 4-0 Shutout vs. Sweden
                    Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post

Winning awards and playing for a world championship team doesn't necessarily translate into success in the NCAA. Plenty of players have won the Carlton award and have disappeared from sight. Chris Biotti was always great on world junior teams, then came back to Harvard and stunk the joint up. So I don't place much stock in what you are saying until I see her play in person.

As for the sophmores leaving the team, I spoke to Whitney Kennedy and Alicia Baumgartner after the season and they were looking forward to contributing much more this year. I can't speak for Lok because I don't know her but I would be very surprised if Kennedy left at this point. She has a great opportunity to win a regular job and I can't see her leaving unless there is something else going on in her life that would take her away from the team.

Comment

Update 1: Kennedy on current roster, Lok not.

Update 2: It appears the exhibition game with the Toronto juniors team has been canceled.

And since it hasn't been posted in this thread, here is the schedule for 09-10.

Code:
                        Oct 24, 2009     McGill   	Exhibition  	4:00 p.m.  	
                        Oct 30, 2009 	at Colgate * 			3:30 p.m. 	
                        Oct 31, 2009 	at Cornell * 			3:00 p.m. 	
                        Nov 6, 2009 	Clarkson * 			        7:00 p.m. 	
                        Nov 7, 2009 	St. Lawrence * 			4:00 p.m. 	
                        Nov 13, 2009 	Quinnipiac * 			7:00 p.m. 	
                        Nov 14, 2009 	Princeton * 			4:00 p.m. 	
                        Nov 18, 2009 	New Hampshire 			7:00 p.m. 	
                        Nov 20, 2009 	at Yale * 			        7:00 p.m. 	
                        Nov 21, 2009 	at Brown * 			        4:00 p.m. 	
                        Nov 25, 2009 	Dartmouth * 			7:00 p.m. 	
                        Dec 4, 2009 	Minnesota 			        7:00 p.m. 	
                        Dec 5, 2009 	Minnesota 			        4:00 p.m. 	
                        Dec 8, 2009 	Connecticut 			7:00 p.m. 	
                        Jan 8, 2010 	at Princeton * 			3:00 p.m. 	
                        Jan 9, 2010 	at Quinnipiac * 			4:00 p.m. 	
                        Jan 15, 2010 	Cornell * 			        7:00 p.m. 	
                        Jan 16, 2010 	Colgate * 			        4:00 p.m. 	
                        Jan 22, 2010 	Union * 			        7:00 p.m. 	
                        Jan 23, 2010 	Rensselaer * 			4:00 p.m. 	
                        Jan 29, 2010 	at Dartmouth * 			3:30 p.m. 	
                        Jan 30, 2010 	Providence 			        4:00 p.m. 	
                        Feb 2, 2010 	Boston College 	Beanpot 	5:00 p.m. 	
                        Feb 5, 2010 	Brown * 			        7:00 p.m. 	
                        Feb 6, 2010 	Yale * 			        4:00 p.m. 	
                        Feb 9, 2010 	Beanpot Second Round 		TBA 	
                        Feb 12, 2010 	at Rensselaer * 			7:00 p.m. 	
                        Feb 13, 2010 	at Union * 		                4:00 p.m. 	
                        Feb 19, 2010 	at St. Lawrence * 		7:00 p.m. 	
                        Feb 20, 2010 	at Clarkson * 			4:00 p.m.
                        Countdown to First Game
                        Countdown to Season Opener
                        Countdown to Home Opener
                        Go Crimson!

Comment

Harvard canceled the game against Assabet last season as well.
                          Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by boston buzz View Post
                            Harvard canceled the game against Assabet last season as well.
                            Which, if I remember from another thread, was because it ended up breaking some form of NCAA rule, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case as well.

Also, no surprise here, but Christina Kessler was named to the U-22 Canadian Roster. The team will face-off against Canada's National Women's Team over the next three days in Calgary.

Story Here
                            Go Crimson!

Comment

DC- thanks for both the reps and the info through them (just checked them for the first time today).

We didn't see a lot of Lok last year (though losing her, as it appears we have, is depressing just from a radio standpoint- she has the greatest hockey name ever in my humble opinion) but losing Kennedy would be a huge loss. She contributed well and I remember last year that Anna McDonald described her on the intermission show as a natural scorer- and Jenny Brine agreed.

Hopefully if what you said is the case, it would only be a year long hiatus and then we'd see her back in the Crimson, black and white come the year after that (not entirely uncommon). Since she's still listed however, I'm hopeful that some other arrangement was worked out- but I'll give credit where credit is due, your source on the matter should be pretty well informed of the situation.
                              Go Crimson!

Comment

Working...
                              X