Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson Women 09-10

Not Harvard 09-10, but Harvard related:

USA Hockey interview with Angela Ruggiero.

Miles to Go Before I Sleep
    Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
    Go Crimson!

Comment

Great article. Thanks for the link. She's an inspiration to all female hockey players and many others outside of girl's/women's hockey. My daughter has had the pleasure of speaking with her on a number of occasions and always looks forward to the next time she can run into her. Hope Angela fulfills her dream of another Olympic gold and continues to have the desire to play on past next year.
      There is no right way to do the wrong thing.

U19AAAA Forever!

Comment

USA 2009-10 Roster and Harvard implications:

Harvard alums: Ruggiero, Cahow, Chu

Harvard 2009-10 opponents:
        Boston College (Beanpot Opening Round 2/2/10)- Schaus and Stack
        New Hampshire (Nonconference 11/18/09)- Bellamy
        Minnesota (Nonconference 12/4-5/09)- Drazan, Marvin

Also named to the team are J. Lamoureux, M. Lamoureux, who will be sitting out the year for NCAA transfer reasons- the two have left the Univ. of Minnesota to attend the Univ. of North Dakota.

Esp. depending on the timing of when players are called up (I'm assuming it's for the entire season considering the Qwest Tour), this certainly bodes well for the Harvard non-conference schedule.

BC will surely be without the two players that beat the Crimson in the Beanpot last year, and Minnesota, a very talented team that Harvard was competitive with on the road last year, loses two of the top scorers in the nation and likely, an additional two other players, with both teams playing the Crimson at home. Certainly could help the Crimson accomplish a high strength of schedule as well as a Beanpot championship. (Not saying they need help, just pointing out the opportunities are there.)

No current ECAC players were named to the team, although at least a couple will likely make Team Canada.

The USA team will be in the New England area, to face the Hockey East All-Stars on Nov. 22 at Whittemore Center in Durham, NH, and to face the ECAC All-Stars on Jan. 3 at TD Banknorth Sports Center in Hamden, CT.

Lastly, not related (and not my doing)
        Harvard 09-10 Women's Season Wiki Page
        Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
          USA 2009-10 Roster and Harvard implications:

Harvard alums: Ruggiero, Cahow, Chu

Harvard 2009-10 opponents:
          Boston College (Beanpot Opening Round 2/2/10)- Schaus and Stack
          New Hampshire (Nonconference 11/18/09)- Bellamy
          Minnesota (Nonconference 12/4-5/09)- Drazan, Marvin

Also named to the team are J. Lamoureux, M. Lamoureux, who will be sitting out the year for NCAA transfer reasons- the two have left the Univ. of Minnesota to attend the Univ. of North Dakota.

Lastly, not related (and not my doing)
          Harvard 09-10 Women's Season Wiki Page
          The US and Canada National (or Select, whichever is being used today) Teams are centralized, and any players with remaining college eligibility will miss their college season entirely (redshirting to preserve a year if allowed by their respective institution)

You needn't worry about Bellamy, Drazan, or Marvin, as all three completed their NCAA eligibility in 2008 - 2009.

BC, UNH, and Minny have some very potent rookies with recent Select team experience in their age group coming in to shore up the absences created by graduation (and centalization) though, so you needn't not worry either
          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Effectively avoiding the actual sitting / loss of a WCHA season other transfers within the WCHA have to "pay"...hmmm.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
              The US and Canada National (or Select, whichever is being used today) Teams are centralized, and any players with remaining college eligibility will miss their college season entirely (redshirting to preserve a year if allowed by their respective institution)

You needn't worry about Bellamy, Drazan, or Marvin, as all three completed their NCAA eligibility in 2008 - 2009.

BC, UNH, and Minny have some very potent rookies with recent Select team experience in their age group coming in to shore up the absences created by graduation (and centalization) though, so you needn't not worry either
              Well, that of course, helps. And I'm rolling my eyes at myself and at USA Hockey for the way that roster was put out making me believe that these players were indeed still current college athletes and not recent graduates, not at you. Won't make that mistake for Canada at least.

Plus I wasn't worried. I just wanted to make this post somewhat relevant to the 09-10 season. I honestly could have stopped after the Harvard alumnae (I think that's the proper plural here) named to the team. But I wanted to get a perspective on how different Harvard opponents were likely to shape up as compared to last year. Like how, barring a shock, I'm sure Cornell's top player will be gone next year due to centralization (which I now found out how it works- side benefit), and what that means for a both Cornell and Harvard.

(as an fyi- I think half my posts are things I wanted to easily be able to find later in the year either for predictions or for broadcast games- like the Lamoureux twins transfer, or the centralization of opponents, etc. etc., but that also serve as semi-useful to useful info on the season for the folks that follow the team.)

And I'd still rather see BC without Schaus and Stack at the Bright Center regardless of what rookies are coming into their program. Simply put, Harvard now enters the Beanpot with far and away the best goaltending (unless Kessler does so well with the U-23s that they add her, which at this point I'm assuming is unlikely), as I'm relatively certain that Northeastern's best goalie will be playing for her national team as well.
              Go Crimson!

Comment

Simply put, Harvard now enters the Beanpot with far and away the best goaltending ...
                The validity of that statement may depend on what you mean "by far and away". Granted, Kessler is the Beanpot goalie most likely to receive Patty Kaz consideration and post the best stats for the season, but I'd guess that Sulyma of Northeastern or Boyles of BC are quite capable of stealing a game from most teams, Harvard included.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Well, that of course, helps. And I'm rolling my eyes at myself and at USA Hockey for the way that roster was put out making me believe that these players were indeed still current college athletes and not recent graduates, not at you. Won't make that mistake for Canada at least.

Plus I wasn't worried. I just wanted to make this post somewhat relevant to the 09-10 season. I honestly could have stopped after the Harvard alumnae (I think that's the proper plural here) named to the team. But I wanted to get a perspective on how different Harvard opponents were likely to shape up as compared to last year. Like how, barring a shock, I'm sure Cornell's top player will be gone next year due to centralization (which I now found out how it works- side benefit), and what that means for a both Cornell and Harvard.

(as an fyi- I think half my posts are things I wanted to easily be able to find later in the year either for predictions or for broadcast games- like the Lamoureux twins transfer, or the centralization of opponents, etc. etc., but that also serve as semi-useful to useful info on the season for the folks that follow the team.)

And I'd still rather see BC without Schaus and Stack at the Bright Center regardless of what rookies are coming into their program. Simply put, Harvard now enters the Beanpot with far and away the best goaltending (unless Kessler does so well with the U-23s that they add her, which at this point I'm assuming is unlikely), as I'm relatively certain that Northeastern's best goalie will be playing for her national team as well.

Me thinks you need to do a little more research on the opposition, and women's hockey in general.

Comment

[QUOTE=alslammerz;4359461]I'm sure Cornell's top player will be gone next year due to centralization (which I now found out how it works- side benefit), and what that means for a both Cornell and Harvard.QUOTE]

Cornell is a situation where their outstanding recruiting class will have a major impact and the collective impact will offset the loss of RJ for the upcoming season.
                    Entitled to our piece of the pie!

Comment

I like how you underestimate BC. It's always good to be the underdog!

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                        Me thinks you need to do a little more research on the opposition, and women's hockey in general.
                        That's kind of what I've been doing here Hux. Not that I need to be anymore, unless I get a couple of women's games for play by play, I'll be focused on the men's side of things. But I am interested, which is why I post these things and try to get, you know, helpful reactions.

For Northeastern, for me, Schelling is the better of the two goalies, but she will be gone playing for the Swiss (unless they aren't in the Olympics. I honestly have no idea.)

For Boston U., well, the goaltending was good in the Hockey East campaign, but neither goalie I saw impressed me in their two Beanpot outings.

And For BC, well, I think with Schaus, they probably have the best goalie in the Beanpot. But they don't have Schaus.

Which leaves Harvard, who has a goalie that has excelled both with the Crimson despite a subpar (for her) year last year as well as the Canadian U-23 team, who she'll be playing for this summer. Does that mean they will win the Beanpot? No, to quote the cliche, that's why they play the game. Does that and the home ice make them the favorites for winning the Beanpot? Yes, I believe so.

On the flip side of things, I don't know or even really care about Minnesota's talent. Honestly, we could lose both of those games 12-1 and it wouldn't matter to me, because an ECAC championship still sends you to the NCAA tournament. But with that game being one that is a possibility for being broadcast, I would of course want to know that the Lamoureux twins were no longer with Minnesota. Doesn't mean Harvard will win those games, but I know enough that it certainly helps.

Moving on to ECAC play, I'll admit here, I don't know or really care about incoming freshmen for any of the teams in the ECAC, with a limited exception toward Harvard. Now your thread does a good job of keeping track of them all, but I'm still not going to dig through high school stats or NAHA tournaments for the incoming players, because, for one, that doesn't necessarily mean anything, and for two, in the grand scheme of things for a student radio broadcast, it doesn't matter a whole lot (because the only people listening are either casual fans who have no idea and won't even if I say it, or people on the USCHO boards that know it all anyway). Even the players that are being lost to the Olympics are more interesting things to bring up in a broadcast type stuff then they are things I'm going to use to justify what I'm going to say as my preseason prediction, if I even make one.

Of course, now I've learned Cornell is supposed to have a good incoming class that can make up for the loss of their one player. Which means that if I handicap the ECAC, I could say something like, "Cornell loses their best player to the Canadian National Team this year, but are rumored to have a good class of incoming freshmen. Still, without knowing what to expect from them, I'd say that they'll probably place fifth in the ECAC, although I wouldn't be shocked if they pushed higher than that on the strength of their new players." And I sound kind of smart without having or saying a list of stats for the incoming players, and I give myself leeway for not actually knowing how they will do.

So yes, I am trying to research the game a bit on the women's side. Having played the game, I can diagnose forechecks, backchecks, power plays, penalty kills, line matching, etc. Having followed the men's game for years now (I've tracked the men's Beanpot since I was about five), plus with the wealth of information since many of these players are NHL prospects, I know the men's game. But I've only followed women's hockey since last year and have seen, in action, the four Beanpot teams, RPI, Union, Dartmouth, Cornell, and Minnesota (and that was on tv). I know next to nothing about who the star players are, how the game works, who the prospects are, etc, or about other teams. So maybe instead of an eye rolling, I can get a hat tip toward where I can find that info (besides the fact that I do go through and read some of the USCHO threads for the other teams, and sometimes even ask questions of their fans about them).

PS- And keep in mind I'm a Harvard student and fan first, well before broadcaster or anything of that sort, so I will of course paint anything in a good light for Harvard and will always be a complete homer for them in my heart and on the boards (although I'll try not to be in the broadcast booth). So of course BC and Northeastern losing their goalie makes me think Harvard is winning the Beanpot. I would have said that they were anyway even if all of Harvard's team was centralized and they had the club team filling in for the year.
                        Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by rinkrat890890 View Post
                          I like how you underestimate BC. It's always good to be the underdog!
                          I wouldn't say I underestimate them at all. All I said was it's a weaker team without those two. It doesn't mean they are in anyway a bad team- losing the Lamoureuxs makes Minnesota weaker, but they are still probably going to finish top 3 in the WCHA and are obviously a contender for the National Championship- weaker does not mean underdogs or guaranteed losers, just easier to face. (And as far as me saying Schaus and Stack beat the Crimson last year, well, Schaus shut the door completely on every Harvard opportunity, and Stack took advantage with a great individual effort to get the only goal.)

Plus, I think I'm giving Schaus and Stack a lot of respect by saying I'd rather not see them on the ice against Harvard. Probably too much for the Crimson girls' liking- if they found out about this, they might be mad that I'm implying they couldn't beat BC if those two were around (which I'm not). I'm sure they'd rather face the top competition and go out and beat them anyway.

But as a fan, which is what I count as, I'm allowed to say that's nonsense and that I'd rather see them with better chances for winning. And as a potential broadcaster, I'm allowed to say exactly what I've said before. It makes it easier for the Crimson to win, but they still have to go out and actually win. And considering who they've lost to graduation, they could very well be in the same boat as a lot of these teams anyway.
                          Go Crimson!

Comment

[QUOTE=alslammerz;4359964] (And as far as me saying Schaus and Stack beat the Crimson last year, well, Schaus shut the door completely on every Harvard opportunity, and Stack took advantage with a great individual effort to get the only goal.)

I agree that Stack and Schaus were huge in that Beanpot game against Harvard but were you there? The great individual effort was from Thunstrom who made a "two point" assist for Stack to score! It was a goal that was scored because of the phenomenal assist that Thunstrom made. They should have had co-MVP's. Thunstrom was severely overlooked in that game.

Comment

Originally posted by rinkrat890890 View Post
                              (And as far as me saying Schaus and Stack beat the Crimson last year, well, Schaus shut the door completely on every Harvard opportunity, and Stack took advantage with a great individual effort to get the only goal.)

I agree that Stack and Schaus were huge in that Beanpot game against Harvard but were you there? The great individual effort was from Thunstrom who made a "two point" assist for Stack to score! It was a goal that was scored because of the phenomenal assist that Thunstrom made. They should have had co-MVP's. Thunstrom was severely overlooked in that game.
                              unfortunately, yes, I was.

and I knew someone had made the pass to Stack (forgot who), but I thought Schaus was easily the star. BC did a good job of playing defensively and limiting opportunities, but when Harvard got through (and they did enough times to win the game) Schaus shut the door. Except for maybe one crossbar, Schaus stopped everything.

As for the goal, there was the turnover at the blue line, and then Sarah V committed to the wrong player, making the pass actually easier than it looked (not easy. easier). And then Stack finished a goal she needed to finish. But without someone of her speed, the defense doesn't get stretched like that and there's no goal.

If you want to argue it was three players, I can accept that. But honestly, BC's gameplan was to play a bit of a trap style defense and then score goals on the counter- and the two players that keep that effective are the brick wall goalie and the speedy goalscoring forward. The rest of the team needs to be effective as well, but that gameplan is a non-starter without those two elements.

And in all honestly, the winner of the Harvard/BC game is most likely going to be the winner of the Beanpot. It'll be interesting how both deal with their respective talent losses when it comes to a longer competition, ie, their conference schedule.
                              Last edited by alslammerz; 08-26-2009, 07:36 PM. Reason: html tags were messed up
                              Go Crimson!

Comment

My .02 is watch out for BU on those Tuesdays in February.
                                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Working...
                                X