Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regional Bias... does it exist? Should it exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional Bias... does it exist? Should it exist?

I was reading on another site about regional bias in college hockey. Is the long term health, growth and success of college hockey being hindered by regional bias?

The author of the article talked about UAH, UAA and UAF along with the demise of the CHA. He implied that what he wrote does not have a regional bias, but I have read some of his articles and they sure seem to have a bias towards the northern contiguous US.

I would like to hear from others some examples of regional bias and ideas how we can strengthen college hockey.

Thanks

Re: Regional Bias... does it exist? Should it exist?

There is definitely bias, I blame the east coast.

Seriously there is reginal bias in college hockey & I suspect the genesis is from a lack of consistent and constant national coverage. College hockey writers & broadcasters rarely see teams outside their team's conference so conclusions (and voting) are based on small samples.

Does any other sport have separate eastern & western All-Americans?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by true2BSU View Post
      I was reading on another site about regional bias in college hockey. Is the long term health, growth and success of college hockey being hindered by regional bias?

The author of the article talked about UAH, UAA and UAF along with the demise of the CHA. He implied that what he wrote does not have a regional bias, but I have read some of his articles and they sure seem to have a bias towards the northern contiguous US.

I would like to hear from others some examples of regional bias and ideas how we can strengthen college hockey.

Thanks
      It only exists with the people that just start to follow the sport come NCAA time. the people that really follow the sport the entire yeah know how good the teams are out west and really shoudn't be taken lightly. Anybody who followed Air Force last year had to know with the right draw they could make it to the frozen four and they darn near did. Now last season everyone knows the East had better hockey teams then the west did but thats not always the case in years past
      The Quest For 7

Comment

I think the nature of being a sports fan makes most people naturally biased towards the teams they follow and the leagues those teams play in. Given that school selection is still largely based along regional lines (eastern players tend to stay east and Western players tend to stay west), some of that is to be expected.

Fans are mostly parochial, because most haven't really travelled to see a lot of hockey played outside the region where they live. Once you have travelled, I think your attitude tends to become more broad and appreciative of the unique nature of the sport.

That said, three big factors have made college hockey a more national game - first, the WCHA/HEA interlocking schedule from the mid 80s into the 90s forced the game to get closer together.

Secondly, USA Hockey's Select 16, 17 and NTDP has centralized recruiting and exposed the best kids on a level playing field.

And finally, the advent of national publications, web sites and satellite TV has exposed the Eastern and Western products to make everyone much more aware of each other.

As for your assertion of bias (if you are talking about Adam Wodon) on CHN, I contend that he's the best and most connected national reporter following our sport. He is very fair in his coverage, and works very hard to do what is right for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post

As for your assertion of bias (if you are talking about Adam Wodon) on CHN, I contend that he's the best and most connected national reporter following our sport. He is very fair in his coverage, and works very hard to do what is right for the sport.
          He is not afraid to talk about the tough topics and when you do that people are going to get mad if they don't agree with you. He is a decent writer and is very connected. The sad thing is if he is the best writer that says a lot about how few people cover this sport. I like his website and I read it all the time, but let's be honest he is a average to a little above average sports writer.
          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
            He is not afraid to talk about the tough topics and when you do that people are going to get mad if they don't agree with you. He is a decent writer and is very connected. The sad thing is if he is the best writer that says a lot about how few people cover this sport. I like his website and I read it all the time, but let's be honest he is a average to a little above average sports writer.

Nevertheless, we are lucky to have him. Very few beat writers in college hockey know (or care or are incented) enough to cover much more beyond their local team. And there just isn't enough money in college hockey journalism to make a living covering the sport nationally. We are SO lucky to have three solid national web sites covering our sport, but none of them make enough money to employ their staff on a full time basis. These are run in all three places as labors of love...

Comment

Hate the site can's stand the writers!! but thats just me!!!
              The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                Nevertheless, we are lucky to have him. Very few beat writers in college hockey know (or care or are incented) enough to cover much more beyond their local team. And there just isn't enough money in college hockey journalism to make a living covering the sport nationally. We are SO lucky to have three solid national web sites covering our sport, but none of them make enough money to employ their staff on a full time basis. These are run in all three places as labors of love...
                I agree 100%. I am not sure how he makes a living doing this or does he have another job? This is a regional sport and the people who follow it have as much passion if not more than other sports.
                I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

I agree 100%. I am not sure how he makes a living doing this or does he have another job? This is a regional sport and the people who follow it have as much passion if not more than other sports.

As far as I know, all of the poeple who run the college hockey websites at CHN, USCHO and INCH all have other non-hockey related jobs that actually pay their living expenses. The advertising revenue they all get from the 3 web site probably doesn't even cover their out-of-pocket and overhead expenses they have in running the sites, let alone generate any profit.

In other words, all these guys do it for love of the game, not the money.

That's why I don't like it when people complain about the coverage.

It's amazing that all of these guys do what they do for us.

Comment

Thanks
                    Correct me if I'm wrong, but your saying that he's biased towards the "Northern Contiguous" region of the US, which includes something like 55 out of 58 Division I programs?

I would agree that the 3 main college hockey websites are actually reletively fair across the various regions (including their treatment of UAH, UAA, and UAF) when you compare them with, say ESPN's tv (and other networks') coverage.

Comment

There's regional bias in pretty much all college sports.

Hockey has the East
                      Football has the South
                      Basketball has the East
                      Softball and Baseball have South/West (although there is a legitimate talent gap between those regions and the North/East)

I'm sure tennis, swimming, track and others have their biases also.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by splendidus View Post
                        Correct me if I'm wrong, but your saying that he's biased towards the "Northern Contiguous" region of the US, which includes something like 55 out of 58 Division I programs?
                        54. As usual SCSU gets NO RESPECT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          54. As usual SCSU gets NO RESPECT!!!!
                          Too bad Rodney Dangerfield had to die...

Comment

Thats too bad that the writers have to find other day jobs just to be able to make it financially. So why doesn't college hockey do a better job of "nationalizing" our coverage? I understand the regionalism of the problem with coverage as it is... but geez louise even the UFC expanded their fan base with well placed coverage and reaching out to the casual fan. I think college hockey has the best value for the dollar of any sport out there.

The professional level has expanded to include Texas and other southern states, its too bad that college hockey struggles so much to hold onto the teams we have and yet the AHL is adding more venues and better deals to the casual fan than we have in the last 5 years.

Maybe this is just the cards that are dealt with being NCAA. I don't know.

Comment

Maybe this is just the cards that are dealt with being NCAA. I don't know.
                              That's a HUGE part of it. Due to Title 9, to add hockey, the school must add other sports for women (unless they add both). I would also suspect that hockey doesn't make a lot of money (and may even lose money) for their schools unless you are big time - so not as much financial incentive.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Working...
                              X