Genesseo Goaltending Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genesseo Goaltending Situation

Looks like Genesseo has 3 returning keepers and according to reports here bringing in 2 netminders?

Who will be out of the picture for the Ice Knights?

Re: Genesseo Goaltending Situation

Originally posted by WNYHOCKEY66 View Post
    Looks like Genesseo has 3 returning keepers and according to reports here bringing in 2 netminders?

Who will be out of the picture for the Ice Knights?
    Looking at their 2008-09 roster, I see only two with playing time:
    Senior Jeff Pasemko #29 - Minutes: 1217.42 - Win %age: .658
    Freshman Cory Gerson #30 - Minutes: 855.29, Win %age: .500

Junior Christian Berlin was listed on the roster but recieved no playing time.

As Jeff has used up his eligibility, and Christian did not see any ice time, I would only count on Cory to play in 2009-10, so bringing in two more seems logical.

There might also have been extenuating circumstances that prevented Swedish goaltender Christian Berlin from playing last year, so he very much may end up playing, does anyone know why he is yet to play?
    Last edited by norm1909; 07-19-2009, 01:15 PM.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

what about Bataglia?

Comment

Originally posted by WNYHOCKEY66 View Post
        what about Bataglia?
        Initially missed him on collegehockeystats, but he, also got no ice time.

While it is not uncommon for backup goalies to go all season without getting to play, head coach Chris Schultz know Jeff's eligibility would be up at the end of season, I have to think if he thought of either player as a serious contender for this season, he would have found them some ice time. I'd still only count on Cory among the three to play in 2009-10 - unless of course there are other issues.
        Last edited by norm1909; 07-19-2009, 01:17 PM.
        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
          Initially missed him on collegehockeystats, but he, also got no ice time.

While it is not uncommon for backup goalies to go all season without getting to play, head coach Chris Schultz know Jeff's eligibility would be up at the end of season, I have to think if he thought of either player as a serious contender for this season, he would have found them some ice time. I'd still only count on Cory among the three to play in 2009-10 - unless of course there are other issues.
          Well, the first point is this: It's Gershon's team next year. When it became apparent Geneseo was going to lose to Oswego in the SUNYAC Semifinals this year, coach Shultz turned to Jeff Pasemko, suiting up for his final game, and asked if he wanted to go in. Paz responded to Schultz that he didn't want to go in, noting "[Gershon] is playing too good."

The second point is that as much as it drove the radio crew nuts, I think Schultz really liked having two goaltenders he could go to night in and night out. He could throw both guys in a weekend and keep them rested, or if one got hot (as Gershon did towards the end of the year), he could ride the hot hand. Schultz likely feels bringing in some guys to push Gershon will keep him from being complacent and potentially give him that chance to mix and match later on in the year. Not to mention that you never want to be caught with your pants down on goaltending depth, just ask Oswego about that.
          2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
          2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
          2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
          Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Carey View Post
            ..."

The second point is that as much as it drove the radio crew nuts, I think Schultz really liked having two goaltenders he could go to night in and night out. He could throw both guys in a weekend and keep them rested, or if one got hot (as Gershon did towards the end of the year), he could ride the hot hand. Schultz likely feels bringing in some guys to push Gershon will keep him from being complacent and potentially give him that chance to mix and match later on in the year. Not to mention that you never want to be caught with your pants down on goaltending depth, just ask Oswego about that.
            I think you hit head on, as long as he can find a couple of good, understanding (as Jeff was based on your comment about him), loyal goalies willing to wait for their chance, they should be in good shape goalie wise.

Will Christian Berlin or Michael Battaglia get any ice time this year? TBA, but they will have some recruits to contend with.
            Last edited by norm1909; 07-20-2009, 12:18 PM.
            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I'd say at least for the start of the year it would be tough to imagine anyone other than Gershon at the #1 spot. As Josh said, this is mainly a debate/discussion over #2. It's hard to say anything about spots #2 - #5 because I haven't seen any of them play. The only thing I have to go on is the overall talent level of d1 club (battaglia) vs. sweden (berlin) vs. mid-level canadian jrs. (2 new guys.)

As norm said, probably would have seen the two returning players at some point last year had Schultz expected them to be a possibility for the starting role. Are they in the running for #2 in the depth chart? Definitely.
              Geneseo Ice Knights Color Commentator 2008 - 2009

Listen to GSU Hockey

Comment

It looked early on like Geneseo recruited both Legatto and Rubeniuk. This did not make sense having a very solid Freshman goalie in Gershon the prior year. From what it looks like, Legatto de-committed and went to Sacred Heart, and they got Rubeniuk to pair with Gershon to form a formidable tandem. My guess is Gershon will be the #1 guy, with Rubeniuk right there getting his fair share of games, challenging Gershon for the #1 job. It is never a bad thing having a solid 2 goalie tandem. Will be and interesting year in the IRA to say the least, but I would say the ice knight do not have anything to worry about in the goalie department.

Comment

Working...
                X