Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switching ISP's from Comcast to Verizon -- anything to do/worry about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching ISP's from Comcast to Verizon -- anything to do/worry about?

This week I'm switching from Comcast to Verizon.

(a) Verizon gives me a wireless router -- should/can I still use my Linksys wireless router?
    (b) I have wirelsss printers. Any problems hooking that up?
    (c) How long should I keep Comcast alive before I tell them (thinking of emails)...???
    (d) How much of a b%tch is it to let the pwrld know I am switching my email account????

THANKS!!!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Switching ISP's from Comcast to Verizon -- anything to do/worry about?

Originally posted by joecct View Post

(a) Verizon gives me a wireless router -- should/can I still use my Linksys wireless router?
    (c) How long should I keep Comcast alive before I tell them (thinking of emails)...???
    (d) How much of a b%tch is it to let the pwrld know I am switching my email account????

THANKS!!!
    a - Use the free one, if it's as good as the one that comes with AT&T U-Verse you won't use anything else.

b - Should be easy, as long as you tell the printer about the new router.

c - Have you dealt with their customer service department? Dump them, ASAP.

d - Send a mass e-mail to everyone on your contacts list... done. And stop depending on your ISP for e-mail, get free webmail from gmail, yahoo, hotmail, or where ever else you want.
    Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Why, oh why, are you doing this? I just did the opposite a few months ago - less money, way more speed. We had a thread where everyone was posting their up/download speeds and Comcast smoked Verizon/Fairpoint.
      "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government"...Thomas Jefferson
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dropthatpuck View Post
        Why, oh why, are you doing this? I just did the opposite a few months ago - less money, way more speed. We had a thread where everyone was posting their up/download speeds and Comcast smoked Verizon/Fairpoint.
        DTP

It is exacty the opposite here. When I add Verizon phone + Comcast Cable it is over $100. FIOS is coming in ~$20 less / mo. I have DirecTV for sports, er, TV.

When my Mom had FIOS internet, I thought it was faster than our Comcast.

Joe
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

DTP

It is exacty the opposite here. When I add Verizon phone + Comcast Cable it is over $100. FIOS is coming in ~$20 less / mo. I have DirecTV for sports, er, TV.

FIOS was definitely cheaper and, in my experience, much faster than Comcast.
          HT: Bucs FC - IV.46

Comment

Internet speed is dependent on things totally unrelated to who your ISP is. Cable Modem speed is largely dependent on how many other customers in your neighborhood are on the same service, while DSL is dependent on how far away from the phone company's neighborhood routing box your home is.

Not that there aren't other factors, but the above are the big ones.
            Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

DTP

Joe

Gotcha - the $ definately makes sense then.

FWIW, the thread shows the speeds different peeps were posting - you'll see what I was getting with DSL, then with Comcast.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=84126
              "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government"...Thomas Jefferson
              sigpic

Comment

Gotcha - the $ definately makes sense then.

FWIW, the thread shows the speeds different peeps were posting - you'll see what I was getting with DSL, then with Comcast.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=84126
                Fortunately, I am getting Fiber, not DSL. I need more fiber!!
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

A bowl of oatmeal and some baked beans will help you out on that front.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Fortunately, I am getting Fiber, not DSL. I need more fiber!!
                    Well, that explains a lot!
                    sigpic

Comment

THANKS!!!
                      routers can automatically configure themselves to find the addresses of nearby routers so you shouldn't have trouble hooking them up. Wireless printers shouldn't be a problem just as long as you have all your network protocols in line.

Change your email to google its more of a permanent solution than having a service with your ISP.

Also speeds depend on the network form such as # of users, distances to your service, and the network traffic. I would think fiber optic is pretty fast compared to a digital subscriber line, but they likely limit uploads and downloads for security reasons.
                      "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Installation update:

The Fiber Box is on North side of driveway while the service connection is on the south side of the house.

They had to tunnel (amazing auger???) under the driveway that was just redone last year for a pretty penny and raised a 1-2" bump and cracked the driveway in the process.

In addition, they cut the wire phone line. Called Verizon and the contractor. Contractor was voice mail, verizon took the complaint. Wonder what the odds are on the fix....
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Installation update:

The Fiber Box is on North side of driveway while the service connection is on the south side of the house.

They had to tunnel (amazing auger???) under the driveway that was just redone last year for a pretty penny and raised a 1-2" bump and cracked the driveway in the process.

In addition, they cut the wire phone line. Called Verizon and the contractor. Contractor was voice mail, verizon took the complaint. Wonder what the odds are on the fix....
                          Wow. Sounds like your "savings" may be pretty costly.
                          "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X