2010 Team USA Olympic Team - The Youth Movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Team USA Olympic Team - The Youth Movement

Sense many of the players being considered for team USA have college hockey ties, I figured an official olympic thread would be in order.

First, Is the USA camp in august going to be available to the public to attend, anyone know? Its only a 2 1/2 hour drive from madison and I'd like to check it out if possible.

Also I have come up with a list of Dark horses that could make the team if they have a successful start to the season that were not invited to the camp. A couple of these i can't believe were not considered for the camp. Those are in caps. There are also a couple vets that i thinks till have a chance to make the team. With the length of the Canada camp roster i'm not sure why USA didn't go with a few more people but to also keep canada and the others guessing a little bit. I think out of the players attending the camp you can pick out the meet of the roster right away.

Forwards
    - Colin Wilson - Dominate in WJC and held his own at the Worlds this spring.
    - Brian Gionta - Would likely fit with any line
    - PETER MUELLER?
    - Keith Tkachuk - I think would be the best captian for the team.
    - DREW STAFFORD
    - Chad Larose - Is an absolute pest every single shift, strong in playoffs
    - R. J. UMBERGER?

D-Men
    - Jamie McBain - Rookie but will likely step into carolina and contribute right away. WJC experience.
    - Alex Goligoski - Couldn't figure out why he was scratched in the playoffs, at times he was Pittsburghs best d-man.
    - Zach bogosian -Held his own well at the worlds this year, if he has a good start to the season, could get some consideration.
    - KIETH BALLARD - one word SOLID!

Goalies
    - Rick DiPietro (injury) - USA will have solid goaltending knowmatter if its Thomas, Miller or DiPietro
    - Ty Conklin - Some guy on TSN has conklin as the backup for vancouver, lack of playing time puts him behind the 8 ball.
    The Quest For 7

Re: 2010 Team USA Olympic Team - The Youth Movement

I think Gionta will flourish in Montreal after being teamed up with his old linemate Gomez and will make the team. I was very surprised not to see Ballard on the invite list.

Zach Bogosian is the future of the U.S. D core but he is just to young right now but he may be given a strong look over if he starts the year off like he finished last year. McBain has no chance and Gologoski just doesn't have the talent and experience to play at the level needed for this tournament.

Now is it just me or do you also get the sense that this tournament is going to be a two horse race between Canada and Russia with Sweden being the dark horse?

Comment

I hope Minnesota State's David Backes gets a look. I know he was invited to the camp.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
        Now is it just me or do you also get the sense that this tournament is going to be a two horse race between Canada and Russia with Sweden being the dark horse?
        I think the USA will be right there in the medal hunt. All you need in the Olympic tournament is a hot goalie, and you have a medal shot. Team USA will have the reigning 2009 Vezina trophy winner in Tim Thomas in net, and when he's on his game, he's money. The US will have enough scorers to stay in games, as long as Thomas does his part.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
          I think Gionta will flourish in Montreal after being teamed up with his old linemate Gomez and will make the team. I was very surprised not to see Ballard on the invite list.

Zach Bogosian is the future of the U.S. D core but he is just to young right now but he may be given a strong look over if he starts the year off like he finished last year. McBain has no chance and Gologoski just doesn't have the talent and experience to play at the level needed for this tournament.

I agree, McBain and goligoski may not have much of a shot but you look at the D-men the USA invited and the D -Core of Canada and we are more then someone behind in the scoring potential. We can't even compare to Canada on the blue line. If McBain or Goligoski show offensive upside before the holidays you never know. Both have WJC experience and move the puck well. McBain is untested at the NHL level but i think he can jump right in in carolina.

this is what I'd like to see, besides a new coach, 23 person roster.

D-MEN: 7
          Gilbert
          Hainsley
          Rafalski
          Scuderi
          Suter
          Whitney
          Ballard

FORWARDS:14
          Backas
          Booth
          Brown
          Drury
          gomez
          Kane
          Kesler
          Kessel
          Langerbrunner
          Malone
          Parise
          Ryan
          Gionta
          Pavelski/Modano (can't deside, I want Modano to get 1 more shot at gold but i think pavelski would be the better choice)

GOALIES: 2
          Thomas
          Miller
          The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            I think the USA will be right there in the medal hunt. All you need in the Olympic tournament is a hot goalie, and you have a medal shot. Team USA will have the reigning 2009 Vezina trophy winner in Tim Thomas in net, and when he's on his game, he's money. The US will have enough scorers to stay in games, as long as Thomas does his part.
            I agree, this youth movement may just work out. Ron Wilson as head coach i'm not so sure about, I'm glad to see Tortorella will be there at least though...
            The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
              this is what I'd like to see, besides a new coach, 23 person roster.

I think you need Stastny!

And while Ron Wilson has won a World Cup (1996), I wouldn't mind seeing Dan Bylsma added to the USA coaching staff - He did just win a Stanely Cup after all....

Comment

And while Ron Wilson has won a World Cup (1996), I wouldn't mind seeing Dan Bylsma added to the USA coaching staff - He did just win a Stanely Cup after all....
                Assuming Stats is healthy, Couldn't agree more!
                GO DU !!!

Comment

he was the last man cut off from mine...

I didn't even think of Bylsma, that would have been an idea for Burke to think about but i'm sure he wanted his buddy Ron Wilson.
                  The Quest For 7

Comment

Ron Wilson strikes me as an X's and O's guy, not the motivator you need when the going gets tough. Witness his NHL teams, when the going got tough, they got gone.

You need the motivator as the top guy with the assistant with the white board. The best guy for that, unfortunately, lies in a Minnesota cemetary. So, if not Wilson, who? Torts??
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Ron Wilson strikes me as an X's and O's guy, not the motivator you need when the going gets tough. Witness his NHL teams, when the going got tough, they got gone.

You need the motivator as the top guy with the assistant with the white board. The best guy for that, unfortunately, lies in a Minnesota cemetary. So, if not Wilson, who? Torts??
                      How about 2009 Stanely Cup-Winning Coach Dan Bylsma?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Couldn't agree more... USA could have an advantage over canada in this olympics just because i feel canada is going to go with an all star type lineup, probebly will move some usual center over to wings to make room for them on the roster, If wilson plays his cards right and gets the right guys USA can compete with canada. Russia and Sweden are a different story however, Those teams always seem to gel together the best...
                        The Quest For 7

Comment

Which team has a better chance of winning gold this year, the USA World Junior U20 team or the Olympic team??? I think both are probebly running around 15% haha
                          The Quest For 7

Comment

How about 2009 Stanely Cup-Winning Coach Dan Bylsma?
                            If he can bring the guy who lives in Mario's basement, sure! In reality, a good choice. Anyone but Wilson.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
                              Sense many of the players being considered for team USA have college hockey ties, I figured an official olympic thread would be in order.

First, Is the USA camp in august going to be available to the public to attend, anyone know? Its only a 2 1/2 hour drive from madison and I'd like to check it out if possible.

Also I have come up with a list of Dark horses that could make the team if they have a successful start to the season that were not invited to the camp. A couple of these i can't believe were not considered for the camp. Those are in caps. There are also a couple vets that i thinks till have a chance to make the team. With the length of the Canada camp roster i'm not sure why USA didn't go with a few more people but to also keep canada and the others guessing a little bit. I think out of the players attending the camp you can pick out the meet of the roster right away.

Forwards
                              - Colin Wilson - Dominate in WJC and held his own at the Worlds this spring.
                              - Brian Gionta - Would likely fit with any line
                              - PETER MUELLER?
                              - Keith Tkachuk - I think would be the best captian for the team.
                              - DREW STAFFORD
                              - Chad Larose - Is an absolute pest every single shift, strong in playoffs
                              - R. J. UMBERGER?

D-Men
                              - Jamie McBain - Rookie but will likely step into carolina and contribute right away. WJC experience.
                              - Alex Goligoski - Couldn't figure out why he was scratched in the playoffs, at times he was Pittsburghs best d-man.
                              - Zach bogosian -Held his own well at the worlds this year, if he has a good start to the season, could get some consideration.
                              - KIETH BALLARD - one word SOLID!

Goalies
                              - Rick DiPietro (injury) - USA will have solid goaltending knowmatter if its Thomas, Miller or DiPietro
                              - Ty Conklin - Some guy on TSN has conklin as the backup for vancouver, lack of playing time puts him behind the 8 ball.
                              Although they are very good prospects I can't see McBain or Gologoski making the team over Jack Johnson and Erick Johnson. I doubt McBain will even make the Canes this season and Gologoski wasn't even close to being Pittsburgs best d-man. Those two are very long odds.

Comment

Working...
                              X