Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian College into NCAA Div 2

http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=284321

Could this be the start of canadian colleges growing there programs and trying to get into Div 1 hockey???

Can college hockey grow enough to start picking people that normally would go play Major Jr.?
    The Quest For 7

Re: Canadian College into NCAA Div 2

Okay, let's go through the time-line:

'11-'12 - finish two year provisional D-II membership

As there is currently a moritorium on "playing-up" in any sport, let's say that that get's repealed when it expires in 2011. Simon Frasier still wouldn't be able to apply to play-up in hockey until '11-'12 (this, not to mention that SFU does not have a varsity hockey program at the moment - just a non-university sponsored club team), and even at that, the Clan (great nickname, BTW) would have another period of D-I provisional membership for the hockey team. Bottem line? SFU hockey (let alone Univ. Brittish Columbia, or any other Canadian University) is at least five to ten years off (if not more - much more).

Moose
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Great for SFU.

Would love to see more Canadian schools playing in the NCAA, and hopefully, someday in D-I. With Title IX and high start-up costs conspiring to restrict the growth of college hockey stateside, the upside of adding more hockey savvy, established programs to our sport is a compelling alternative to the no-growth, (and some might say decline) of the college game.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
        Okay, let's go through the time-line:

'11-'12 - finish two year provisional D-II membership

As there is currently a moritorium on "playing-up" in any sport, let's say that that get's repealed when it expires in 2011. Simon Frasier still wouldn't be able to apply to play-up in hockey until '11-'12 (this, not to mention that SFU does not have a varsity hockey program at the moment - just a non-university sponsored club team), and even at that, the Clan (great nickname, BTW) would have another period of D-I provisional membership for the hockey team. Bottem line? SFU hockey (let alone Univ. Brittish Columbia, or any other Canadian University) is at least five to ten years off (if not more - much more).

Moose
        Well it doesn't matter how long it would take, you would have to start at some point, when school starts up a program they do it for the future, they don't expect a national championship there first year. For the sport to grow someone has to get the ball rolling. If every team who wanted to start a new program (of any kind) thought about how long it would take for that program to get where they wanted it to be, then nothing would ever change.

Not to mention if college hockey was going to make a significant expantion, canada would have to get involved for it to work BECAUSE, if only US schools got involved you would end up with more average to below average teams because you wouldn't be getting more canadian talent. IF canada got involved you would be dipping into a new talent pool. Years down the line you would have kids growing up wanting to play for there university (like in the states) rather then wanting to play major junior.

The idea of more canadian university's and US university's having hockey is good for the game. I understand, a lot of traditional college hockey fans don't want to see a bunch of new teams in the mix. They are content with college hockey being a tier 2 sport. But those of us who feel that although college hockey will likely never reach NCAABB or NCAA football status. I would like to see the sport grow and reach more people because even if you are a casual hockey fan, the atmosphere at a packed college hockey arena is something any college sports fan will appreciate.

Bottom line and I have stated this before, i have taken the most casual hockey fans, even friends from SC who have never seen a hockey game on TV much less live, i have taken them to a Wisconsin hockey game, now they are fans for life, they watch the games online, Travel here once a year for the Minny series. So I dont' want to hear anyone tell me there is not room for growth in college hockey because I have seen it happen...
        The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
          Well it doesn't matter how long it would take...
          Well, I don't think I ever said that it mattered how long it would take. I never said it shouldn't be encouraged (or dismissed) because it was a minium of 5-10 (or more) years away. I listed the timeline just to be sure no one was saying that SFU would have a D-I hockey team next eyar (or the year after). And to make sure that folks understand that Candian D-I college hockey is more on a 10-20 year plan than a 3-5 year track.

Moose
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass
          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

From what I've heard, the current thinking is that the following conditions will be placed on potential Division I classifiers once the moratorium is lifted:

1) A $1 million application fee (refundable, minus costs, if not accepted).

2) Conference affiliation will be mandatory (so count on another $1-2 million in application fees there).

3) All sports must have scholarships funded to a minimum of 75% of possible equivilancies. To put this in perspective, at 100% of Division II levels you're not even at 50% of Division I.

4) The school must sponsor a minimum of 14 sports, including seven women's sports (this has not changed from previous requirements).

It's still being bandied about in committees, so nothing is in stone yet, but ANYONE moving to Division I is going to find the going extremely difficult. New D1 programs will have to be serious about things.
            UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
            2006 Time Person of the Year
            Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
            It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
              From what I've heard, the current thinking is that the following conditions will be placed on potential Division I classifiers once the moratorium is lifted:

2) Conference affiliation will be mandatory (so count on another $1-2 million in application fees there).

3) All sports must have scholarships funded to a minimum of 75% of possible equivilancies. To put this in perspective, at 100% of Division II levels you're not even at 50% of Division I.

4) The school must sponsor a minimum of 14 sports, including seven women's sports (this has not changed from previous requirements).

It's still being bandied about in committees, so nothing is in stone yet, but ANYONE moving to Division I is going to find the going extremely difficult. New D1 programs will have to be serious about things.
              There's going to have to be some major qualifiers to that considering the Ivy League... and i have to wonder how they're going to treat single sport programs... especially with hockey.

I can understand that the number of D1 schools is getting to be a bit much but I can already look at this and say that one of UConn hockey or UConn baseball would be dropped under such an initiative. UConn's not exactly a small time school.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                There's going to have to be some major qualifiers to that considering the Ivy League... and i have to wonder how they're going to treat single sport programs... especially with hockey.

I can understand that the number of D1 schools is getting to be a bit much but I can already look at this and say that one of UConn hockey or UConn baseball would be dropped under such an initiative. UConn's not exactly a small time school.
                I should clarify that these standards are for new programs, not existing. The point is that the programs making the jump have to be serious about it.

Obviously there would be standing exceptions for the Ivy League and the service academies should these standards be passed on to existing programs as a condition of retaining their Division I status.

Mike Anderson

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

I should clarify that these standards are for new programs, not existing. The point is that the programs making the jump have to be serious about it.

Obviously there would be standing exceptions for the Ivy League and the service academies should these standards be passed on to existing programs as a condition of retaining their Division I status.
                  I think too many schools are doing it to become 'basketball famous'... of course I'd like my school to make the jump but I care very little about basketball and i'd be curious about how we could fair in the other sports.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Um, guys...

Simon Fraser doesn't offer hockey as a varsity sport. If we're going to test the "play-up" moratorium for a hockey program, it's going to have to be a different school.

I'm interested, though, to see if anyone follows SFU.
                    bciskie@gmail.com

Twitter.

Comment

So, whats the word on them actually getting tough on schools that should have stayed D2 in the first place?? Like Savannah State and New Jersey Tech??
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        So, whats the word on them actually getting tough on schools that should have stayed D2 in the first place?? Like Savannah State and New Jersey Tech??
                        Like I say, I have no idea what, if any, new standards will be placed on existing Division I programs. It wouldn't shock me to see something along the lines of the FBS attendance standards being put in place (focusing obviously on some other department-wide metrics).

Mike Anderson

Comment

Like I say, I have no idea what, if any, new standards will be placed on existing Division I programs. It wouldn't shock me to see something along the lines of the FBS attendance standards being put in place (focusing obviously on some other department-wide metrics).
                          Yeah, and they sure as hell should tighten up those restrictions as well. The way I've been hearing it, the football alumni group at Eastern Michigan has been buying extra seats for all of their games just so they can say that they average over 15,000 tickets sold, not fannies in the seats. Hell, GVSU probably beat them more times than not on getting actual people to the games most of the time, and truthfully, we only have seats for a little over 8,500. Eastern would be better off dropping down to D1-AA and stop trying to compete with the 800 pound gorilla just down the road in Ann Arbor.
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                            the Clan (great nickname, BTW)
                            Anyone care to wager how long it will take for the NC$$ to rule this nickname as "hostile and abusive?"
                            "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                            Groucho Marx
                            "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                            Ron White
                            "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                            Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                              Anyone care to wager how long it will take for the NC$$ to rule this nickname as "hostile and abusive?"
                              They haven't come down yet on the Fighting Scots of Edinboro University yet. The Clan just might pass the NCAA's stern mustard.

It just happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X