Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCSU Off-season thread 2; DL's NOT DEAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCSU Off-season thread 2; DL's NOT DEAD!

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
    edit: how about Jeff Finger and Duvie Wescott.
    Finger wore 8 three of his four years, and while he was one of my first favorite Huskies, he takes a backseat to Arnason. Westcott was number 10 as was Matt Hendricks. I put Hendrickjs on the list, but I never saw Westcott play, so if the consensus is Westcott > Hendricks, I'm fine with that change.

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Hartigan #3 (he wore 33 just one year)
    You sure? I can't find his freshman year, but he wore 33 as a sophomore, and 3 as a junior. I can't imagine he went from 3-33-3, especially because his freshman year was Geno Parrish's junior, and I thought Geno was 3 the whole time, so did he have a completely different number his freshman year? I assumed he was 33 for two years, 3 for the last, so in that logic, I'd have to leave him at 33.

Originally posted by The Paragon of Virtue View Post
    So we should go in with massively lowered expectations and just expect Miami to sweep us since it's on an NHL rink? It's a brilliant plan. Afterward, we can make excuses about how the team never does well on NHL rinks and write the series off as a fluke.
    Everybody calm down and get back in the boat. I never said Miami should sweep us, but tb said that we haven't played well on the road lately, and I agreed and said that we've been really bad on NHL sized rinks lately (getting swept in Grand Forks and multiple 5-1 losses to Duluth come to mind).

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
    The Roster stuff:

Mark Parrish was also #21. Jeff Finger was #6 and then #8 when Tyler Aranson went to #39.

#47 was Bobby Goepert. Lenny Esau was #5. Both should be on the All-Number team! Fred Knipscheer was #25, I believe. Sandy Gasseau wore #44.
    Unless USCHO is wrong or there was a midseason change, Arnason was #8 for his sophomore and junior years. Finger only wore 6 his first year, which was Arnason's last, so I'm assuming he was only 6 because 8 was occupied.

Also, Goepfert and Gasseau don't make the squad, because its only a "traditional" hockey numbers list.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Ok, so I ended up finding a listing of all the D-1 SCSU players with their numbers, so here's what I've got. I am going to underline the ones that I'm hoping somebody can point out someone I've missed, because frankly, before 01/02 I'm basing this all off of what I've heard about them, and in many cases, purely offensive numbers, which obviously isn't how good a player was. Or, maybe with some of the older players, if they're underlined you guys may tell me that they're very deserving of their spot on this fictious team.

1- Scott Meyer
      2-Gino Santerre
      3- Mark Hartigan
      4- Bill Lund
      5- Len Esau
      6- Kelly Hultgren
      7- Fred Knipscheer
      8- Tyler Arnason
      9- Brandon Sampair
      10- Duvie Westcott
      11- Dave Ianazzo
      12- Ryan Malone
      13- Nate Dicasmirro
      14- Jeff Saterdalen
      15- Brian Cook
      16- Ryan LaMere
      17- Andrew Gordon
      18- Brett Lievers
      19- Joe Motzko
      20- Billy Hengen
      21- Tim Hanus
      22- Taj Melson
      23- Joe Jensen
      24- Bret Hedican
      25- Tom Lund
      26- Dave Paradise
      27- Justin Fletcher
      28- Pat McGowan
      29- Adam Coole
      30- Dean Weasler
      31- Brian Leitza
      32- Brock Hooton
      33- Peter Szabo
      34-
      35- Grant Sjerven

Thoughts:
      - I couldn't find a single D-1 Husky to ever wear 34
      - Ryan Malone switched numbers every year! He wore 15, 29, 12 and 6. Ultimately went with putting him down as 12 because its his NHL number.
      - This list leaves off not only the greats who had untraditional names, but Mark Parrish, George Awada, Matt Cullen, Andreas Nodl, Tony Gruba and the Hendricks/Westcott loser because somebody with their number beat them out.
      - I know Coole was only here a year, but I'll take his success here in a year over Shermoen's years
      - I wish Lasch had stayed with 25, because we could really use a 25, and he's gonna bump Joe Motzko.

Current Huskies who could make this list one day:
      Raboin (7) - This is a tough call, 'cause I know there's a lot of love for Knipscheer, but Raboin is pretty much the heart and soul of SCSU's D and special teams, and ultimately, I think he goes down as the greater Husky
      Roe (9) - He'd be a slam-dunk in most numbers, but we're talking about a number that Matt Cullen isn't even first on the Huskies list, and this is not a given as I think a lot of younger fans think
      Hanowski (10) - He's competing for a slot that's respectable but not an unattainable one
      Festler (11) - He has shown flashes that he should end up being a much greater Husky than Ianazzo
      Aaron Marvin (17) - After his sophomore year, he is well behind Gordon, but he gets so much better ever couple of weeks it seems. I think if he leaves a year early, there's no way he takes the 17 spot, but if he stays all four years and progresses at his exponential rate he's on, he could pass Andrew.
      Ryan Lasch (19) - It pains me to say that all he has to do to pass Joe Motzko is not fall flat on his face for a full season.
      Oliver Lauridsen (25) - Before you laugh at this one, look at who currently holds the spot. And as has been said on this forum time and time again, the Dane was brought here for his junior and senior seasons, not his first two.
      Drew LeBlanc (29) - Part lack of a great current option (Adam Coole) and part a vote because I think he and Festler will emerge to be a level or two above their counterparts Christian and Novak.
      Mike Lee (30) - Taking down Weasler would be quite an accomplishment, but he was brought here and expected to be better than Weasler.
      Last edited by SCSU Euro; 09-08-2009, 05:54 PM.

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
        You sure? I can't find his freshman year, but he wore 33 as a sophomore, and 3 as a junior. I can't imagine he went from 3-33-3, especially because his freshman year was Geno Parrish's junior, and I thought Geno was 3 the whole time, so did he have a completely different number his freshman year? I assumed he was 33 for two years, 3 for the last, so in that logic, I'd have to leave him at 33.
        33-3-3

Mark's freshman year was Geno's senior year. He wore #3 his sophomore and junior years.

Comment

I don't see how Geno is #3 ahead of Hartigan.
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

While Geno was a great captain for us, there's no way he should be on any list ahead of Hartigan. Well, other than "Most Hilarious Senior Night Haircut."

Is Rabib around? He should get on IM...I have a story for him.
            St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
              Well, other than "Most Hilarious Senior Night Haircut."
              I can never remember, but did he complete the look with a clown nose too?

Comment

Originally posted by The Paragon of Virtue View Post
                I can never remember, but did he complete the look with a clown nose too?
                No...I think it was just the rainbow wig.
                St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Unless USCHO is wrong or there was a midseason change, Arnason was #8 for his sophomore and junior years. Finger only wore 6 his first year, which was Arnason's last, so I'm assuming he was only 6 because 8 was occupied.

Also, Goepfert and Gasseau don't make the squad, because its only a "traditional" hockey numbers list.
                  Thanks, Euro, for doing the leg work. My memory work is sometimes shakey.

Arnie, of course, was #8 and Finger #6 for the Huskies. Arnie wasn't #39 until the Blackhawk years.

You should change the #6 selection of Kelly Hultgren to The Fing. While Hultgren was a decent defenseman, not many defensemen in college hockey could hold a candle to Jeff Finger.

You also asked for an opinion on #10--Hendricks or Westcott. I would vote Duvie.

And I disagree with Coole over Shermoen--probably only because Shermoen was at the front end of D-I hockey, and he was a character. Not that Coole wasn't one, too!

And #44 and #47 are certainly "traditional" numbers!! Put them on the list! That's like leaving Gretzky off a list.

Comment

He isn't, just in the confusion of the 3 vs. 33, which I read wrong, I left him off both numbers.

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
                    Thanks, Euro, for doing the leg work. My memory work is sometimes shakey.

Arnie, of course, was #8 and Finger #6 for the Huskies. Arnie wasn't #39 until the Blackhawk years.

You should change the #6 selection of Kelly Hultgren to The Fing. While Hultgren was a decent defenseman, not many defensemen in college hockey could hold a candle to Jeff Finger.

You also asked for an opinion on #10--Hendricks or Westcott. I would vote Duvie.

And I disagree with Coole over Shermoen--probably only because Shermoen was at the front end of D-I hockey, and he was a character. Not that Coole wasn't one, too!

And #44 and #47 are certainly "traditional" numbers!! Put them on the list! That's like leaving Gretzky off a list.
                    Would love to give the Finger a spot, but he was only 6 for one season. Otherwise I'd throw Lasch in at 25, but I think that's circumventing the point of the list. And like I said, I never saw Westcott play, but I assumed he was better, I just didn't wanna do that without hearing so, 'cause Hendricks is probably my favorite Husky ever.

Comment

He isn't, just in the confusion of the 3 vs. 33, which I read wrong, I left him off both numbers.

Would love to give the Finger a spot, but he was only 6 for one season. Otherwise I'd throw Lasch in at 25, but I think that's circumventing the point of the list. And like I said, I never saw Westcott play, but I assumed he was better, I just didn't wanna do that without hearing so, 'cause Hendricks is probably my favorite Husky ever.
                      Hendricks was your favorite Husky ever! Why?

Duvie was a better player Hultgren even though Kelly was a very good player. He could really run a power.
                      I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Backdoor boogaloo?
                        Duvie was a better player Hultgren even though Kelly was a very good player. He could really run a power.
                        Yep
                        Bob is making me concerned
                        I am the voice of reason

Comment

Had a class with him and Dicas, and he was a really nice guy and a good/gritty player, though he wasn't phenomenally talented as far as WCHA goes.

Comment

Is anyone else wearing kilts to any of the games?
                            Bob is making me concerned
                            I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                              Duh.
                              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                                I hope you wear underwear with your kilt!
                                I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X